Author Topic: LOL DEMOCRATS  (Read 30443 times)

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
Re: LOL DEMOCRATS
« Reply #50 on: July 09, 2021, 09:55:17 AM »
I don't know where to put the cancel culture stuff, so MIR can blast it, so  I'll just dedicate it to this thread.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1413480379248529408?s=20

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 09, 2021, 10:12:26 AM »
i mean, fairly obviously, the british office also couldn't have been made in the united states at the time the american office was made.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 09, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »
I don't know where to put the cancel culture stuff, so MIR can blast it, so  I'll just dedicate it to this thread.

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1413480379248529408?s=20

I know nothing about The Office so I can't comment on it. I will say I've been watching television for 40 years and the only show that possibly "can't be made" now that did at any point in time was possibly All In The Family, but I'm not sure that's the case either. That show like The Jefferson's firstly comes on television in America every day, but the social commentary was very obvious when lampooning the bigotry of the protagonist of the show.

There are many scripted shows on television that have racists, bigots, transphobes, anti-semites, etc. There also wasn't a single time in the history of television that things were not done, redone, or blocked by censors because of something that was viewed as indecent or immoral.

Also reading the article Gervais did not say what the headline says he suggested. I didn't get a political bend from his comment at all.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2021, 01:44:36 PM »
Boomer racists loving Archie bunker with a complete misunderstanding of the point of the character is one of my favorite boomerisms. Another is how they have deified blazing saddles with similar lack of awareness.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2021, 01:53:19 PM »
Oh yeah yeah, Blazing Saddles was so nuanced and subtle, it really went over people's head.  Great points

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2021, 02:10:28 PM »
I think this is a good point and holds true for both versions of the office as well

https://twitter.com/Jesse_Brenneman/status/1413550565154430982

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 09, 2021, 02:32:27 PM »
Apex first world issues at play in here.

Fantastic

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: July 09, 2021, 03:01:10 PM »
I'm here for the overexplaining about why (and how) you really can do all the same bits of old.

It's a fantastic ride through fantasy land.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 09, 2021, 03:27:09 PM »
https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1413532049634377730

Exactly and comedy has always been that way and it always will. There is no such thing as joking about a topic that no one in the world won't find offensive.  Also that quote is your tip that Sky News absolutely sensationalized his quote about the office.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: July 09, 2021, 03:29:00 PM »
Leave it to dax to be the one person to find a way to not agree with anyone else on this topic.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #61 on: July 09, 2021, 03:29:33 PM »
Just let them wallow in their victimhood complex.  There's no point in trying with those two.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 09, 2021, 03:42:09 PM »
I'm extremely torn up and feel victimized about the fact that All in the Family 2.0 may never be made.   :frown:

There's no way the same stuff would be made today.   It's not disagreement, it's reality.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 09, 2021, 03:48:08 PM »
Just let them wallow in their victimhood complex.  There's no point in trying with those two.
:confused:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 09, 2021, 03:59:50 PM »
I'm extremely torn up and feel victimized about the fact that All in the Family 2.0 may never be made.   :frown:

There's no way the same stuff would be made today.   It's not disagreement, it's reality.

For starters All In The Family was controversial when it was on the air. Secondly, the entire point was that it was a guy who was cartoonishly bigoted surrounded by people who aren't. That show was wildly popular with black people, so much so that one of the most successful spin offs of all time came off that show with almost entirely a black cast.

I don't watch a lot of network television but I can think of two shows that I do watch that has a character that is exactly that. The Chief of Medicine in Scrubs and the boss in Blackish.

Secondarily when people say "all in the family can't be made today" all they're really doing is lamenting the diversity of loud voices we hear now.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 09, 2021, 04:15:20 PM »
I think magas would boycott a 2021 version for being too mean to magas
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 09, 2021, 04:24:14 PM »
Like I said, his quote was pretty clearly mischaracterized

https://twitter.com/rickygervais/status/1413499847634681862

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 09, 2021, 04:28:20 PM »
I can't think of any show that has ever been cancelled or not made because its content was too inappropriate.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 09, 2021, 04:36:30 PM »
I can't think of any show that has ever been cancelled or not made because its content was too inappropriate.
Last Man Standing. Got too conservative for the revised woke network it was on. Fox had to pick them back up after a couple of year break.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 04:55:35 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 09, 2021, 04:53:51 PM »

For starters All In The Family was controversial when it was on the air. Secondly, the entire point was that it was a guy who was cartoonishly bigoted surrounded by people who aren't. That show was wildly popular with black people, so much so that one of the most successful spin offs of all time came off that show with almost entirely a black cast.

I don't watch a lot of network television but I can think of two shows that I do watch that has a character that is exactly that. The Chief of Medicine in Scrubs and the boss in Blackish.

Secondarily when people say "all in the family can't be made today" all they're really doing is lamenting the diversity of loud voices we hear now.

Oh, so the whole Meathead thing wasn't the primary crux of All in the Family?   

As an aside, I must confess that I saw a black woman in a 'Friends' T-Shirt the other day at the grocery store and hand to the Flying Spaghetti Monster above I praised his holy delicious pasta that my good bud MIR wasn't there to witness it.   

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 09, 2021, 05:11:49 PM »
Last Man Standing. Got too conservative for the revised woke network it was on. Fox had to pick them back up after a couple of year break.

Was Fox also too woke for it? ABC ran it for six seasons, Fox ran it for three.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 09, 2021, 05:14:43 PM »

It ran it’s course. They needed different actors and all the second time around. Their ratings were crushing when they canceled it at ABC. No one at the network would explain themselves either. He wanted an example and I gave him one. :dunno:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 09, 2021, 05:23:44 PM »

It ran it’s course. They needed different actors and all the second time around. Their ratings were crushing when they canceled it at ABC. No one at the network would explain themselves either. He wanted an example and I gave him one. :dunno:

You didn't though.
"('Last Man Standing') was a challenging one for me because it was a steady performer in the ratings," Dungey said. "Once we made the decision to not continue with comedies on Friday, that was where we landed." (Starting in the fall, fairy tale drama "Once Upon a Time" moves to Friday nights, taking over the timeslot from "Last Man Standing" and "Dr. Ken.")

"Last Man Standing" is also produced by outside studio 20th Century Fox TV, and not ABC Studios, which means there's less potential financial reward for ABC's parent company, Disney. While Dungey said that many reasons go into a cancellation decision (ratings, viewer engagement, critical acclaim, ideas for future seasons), ownership structure plays a role. Still, she said, "I wouldn't say that was the sole factor in not bringing 'Last Man Standing' back."

Even if you don't believe that, the narrative from the professional victims in conservative media was the show got cancelled because Allen was a trump supporter, not because of the content of the show.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 09, 2021, 05:30:29 PM »
 :rolleyes:

I guess we’ll both just believe what we want to on the matter. Lol at canceling Last Man Standing over those other shows I’ve never heard of. It’s ok to admit the media/networks leans left and treats the two sides differently.
« Last Edit: July 09, 2021, 05:33:37 PM by 420seriouscat69 »

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: July 09, 2021, 05:38:00 PM »
I'm just here for the members of the movement that swim in a sea of victimhood, even developed an entire economy/ecosystem around being victims, talking about professional victims.