Author Topic: Later Stoops  (Read 29457 times)

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
Re: Later Stoops
« Reply #125 on: June 18, 2017, 07:00:29 PM »
Between MIR and FSD today, I'm feeling like I need to repeat grade school.
Defeat is a hard thing to admit, and even harder to live with once you do admit to it.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: June 18, 2017, 07:16:59 PM »
Defeat is a hard thing to admit, and even harder to live with once you do admit to it.
Hahaha I've been defeated many a time. That didn't happen here.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: June 18, 2017, 09:08:23 PM »
There's no reason for you to admit defeat!  Both of us can agree the pride of certain posters will not allow them to do such a rare thing.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: June 18, 2017, 09:16:44 PM »
There's no reason for you to admit defeat!  Both of us can agree the pride of certain posters will not allow them to do such a rare thing.
Haha meh. Not a fight I want to hash out. I've got a civil war to prep for.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: June 18, 2017, 11:20:03 PM »
I thought I had read one poster assert that a coach was fired for being black. That coach was replaced with another black man, then someone posted about how other coaches in the area have been given similar firings.

Just because he was replaced by a black coach doesn't absolve the fact that he seemingly got fired after his first "bad" season. I mean dax said himself in the post that the firing was controversial, he agreed with me. He then mentioned the North Carolina coaches who went 17-18, 24-25, and 28-23 with a cheating scandal. He also mentioned Dave Doeren who is 25-26. The guy I said that was unjustly fired was 43-35 and went to more bowl games than all those other dudes combined.

So like I said okay, cool; he did an excellent job solidifying my point.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: June 19, 2017, 05:31:37 AM »
Ok. I was mistaken.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: June 19, 2017, 07:15:45 AM »
Skip Holtz won 2 straight conference titles and was 19-5 in conference over his last three seasons at ECU. 

Ruffin's last two seasons were 4th and 5th in conference with a .500 record.   

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: June 19, 2017, 08:10:26 AM »
Let the beat down continue!  :dance:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: June 19, 2017, 11:21:54 AM »
Skip Holtz won 2 straight conference titles and was 19-5 in conference over his last three seasons at ECU. 

What does Skip Holtz leaving ECU for a better job have to do with Ruffin getting fired? Ruffin had a higher winning percentage than Holtz and Steve Logan, but even if he didn't those coaches are completely immaterial to the point.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: June 19, 2017, 11:32:58 AM »
 :buh-bye:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: June 19, 2017, 11:39:06 AM »
I think Ruffin would be a pretty good hire to replace Bill. I doubt we look outside the family, though.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: June 19, 2017, 02:07:09 PM »

What does Skip Holtz leaving ECU for a better job have to do with Ruffin getting fired? Ruffin had a higher winning percentage than Holtz and Steve Logan, but even if he didn't those coaches are completely immaterial to the point.

It has lots to do with the condition of the program.   McNeil inherited 2 straight conference championships, promptly had two losing seasons, then one good season, sandwiched between two decent seasons.   Holtz had a .700 conference winning percentage, McNeil had a .625 conference winning percentage.    The last two seasons, ECU finished 4th and 5th in conference.   

I also forgot McNeil has 6 seasons, and not 5, half his season's ECU had a losing record.

FTR, I thought he should have gotten another year.   But again, downward trajectory and a major problem closing out seasons strong were his demise.   ECU lost 11 out of McNeil's last 18 games there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: June 19, 2017, 03:41:18 PM »

It has lots to do with the condition of the program.   McNeil inherited 2 straight conference championships, promptly had two losing seasons, then one good season, sandwiched between two decent seasons.   Holtz had a .700 conference winning percentage, McNeil had a .625 conference winning percentage.    The last two seasons, ECU finished 4th and 5th in conference.   

I also forgot McNeil has 6 seasons, and not 5, half his season's ECU had a losing record.

FTR, I thought he should have gotten another year.   But again, downward trajectory and a major problem closing out seasons strong were his demise.   ECU lost 11 out of McNeil's last 18 games there.

The thing is we don't disagree, not even a little bit. The thing with black football coaches is that you can always say that, "they should have had one more year." Even unquestionably terrible tenures like Turner Gill doesn't hold up to scrutiny seeing that Terry Allen, Charlie Weis, and David Beaty all got more time. Like it or not college football's history on a lack of patience with black football coaches is pretty damn obvious and Ruffin is just another example. There has never been a black football coach allowed to be Paul Rhodes or David Cutcliffe, that's a fact, Jack.

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: June 19, 2017, 03:42:46 PM »
I think Ruffin would be a pretty good hire to replace Bill. I doubt we look outside the family, though.

I agree that it'll eventually be someone from the #FAMILY.

I was a little surprised to see that Ruffin was a few years younger than Jim Leavitt. I was also a little surprised that JL is 60.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: June 19, 2017, 04:03:37 PM »

The thing is we don't disagree, not even a little bit. The thing with black football coaches is that you can always say that, "they should have had one more year." Even unquestionably terrible tenures like Turner Gill doesn't hold up to scrutiny seeing that Terry Allen, Charlie Weis, and David Beaty all got more time. Like it or not college football's history on a lack of patience with black football coaches is pretty damn obvious and Ruffin is just another example. There has never been a black football coach allowed to be Paul Rhodes or David Cutcliffe, that's a fact, Jack.

I guess I kinda agree, however I refuse to even acknowledge Paul Rhodes, because it is Iowa State, after all.

David Cutcliffe?   LOL, he was crap canned with extreme prejudice after his only losing season at Ole Miss, he was 4-1 in bowl games.  He was canned just one season removed from tying for first in the SEC West and winning the Cotton Bowl.    He walked into a complete crap show at Duke and ultimately took them to 4 straight bowl games (Ed Orgeron was fired after 3 years).   Ruffin McNeil did not walk into a crap show at ECU.   Cutcliffe stands a good chance of being fired after this year, but the simple fact is and will always be, Duke is not a football school.  ECU is a football school.

You certainly don't fire Turner Gill for Charlie Weiss, but both of their tenures are marked by some of the worst football I've seen in P5 football in the new era (I consider the new era to be the period around the mid 90's when schools started dumping millions into facilities and coaching salaries started ratcheting up dramatically).   KU was awful under both guys, and both were fired after 3 seasons.

Tyrone Willingham.  76-88-1 overall record.  He went 0-12 his last season at Udub.  Nobody makes it past year 4 at a school that gives two shits about football by going 0-12, and 11-37 record overall.  He finished losing 13 straight games at Udub.    Here's Willingham's last 6 seasons:

5-7
6-5
2-9
5-7
4-9
0-12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: June 19, 2017, 09:30:59 PM »
Ty was straight dog ass at UDub, no doubt. Frankly, I forgot about his tenure at Washington after how he was treated by ND.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: June 22, 2017, 01:11:08 PM »
Wow. He is set.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: June 23, 2017, 10:10:59 AM »
Bizarre move from the sooners. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline cas4ksu

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: June 23, 2017, 10:26:16 AM »
It's kind of odd.

If Stoops would have stepped down after the season, do you think they would have hired Lincoln Riley? I think they probably would have. At least if you believe the talk after all of this has transpired.

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: June 23, 2017, 11:15:26 AM »
As more of what happened leaks out & the rumors are coming out, I'm fully in the "he got a heart scan and it was worse than he was expecting" camp.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: June 23, 2017, 11:38:24 AM »
Well, there goes my "basically an interim coach" talking point.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: February 07, 2019, 01:47:22 PM »

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: February 07, 2019, 01:50:02 PM »
 :Ugh:   :lol: :lol: :lol:
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: February 07, 2019, 02:03:36 PM »
Wow. WEIRD.