Author Topic: The future of football  (Read 2529 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
The future of football
« on: May 02, 2017, 10:20:44 AM »
We've touched on this here before, I believe. I enjoyed this piece:

http://www.sbnation.com/a/future-of-football

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The future of football
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2017, 12:46:02 PM »

I'll read it in more detail later.  But I zeroed in on technology.  The NFL would do itself a huge service by helping to finance the robo tackling dummies and medical devices for diagnosing concussions.   If at minimum to promote the proliferation and thus, likely bringing the pricing down.

Obviously there's lots of other factors like the way the game is played, rules etc etc. But IMO bringing technology down market will be a major component of saving the game. 

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2017, 01:02:56 PM »

I'll read it in more detail later.  But I zeroed in on technology.  The NFL would do itself a huge service by helping to finance the robo tackling dummies and medical devices for diagnosing concussions.   If at minimum to promote the proliferation and thus, likely bringing the pricing down.

Obviously there's lots of other factors like the way the game is played, rules etc etc. But IMO bringing technology down market will be a major component of saving the game.

Agreed, at least it's the component that takes a bit more time to come to fruition, since rules and all the other things can be solved in relatively smaller amounts of time.

Total side note related to the story, but this part of the story doesn't make sense when you know the context:

Specifically, building a deeper end zone avoids much of the constriction and heavy traffic impacts seen in the red zone. It also has the non-safety related side effect of opening up the end zones for offensive play-callers. The CFL’s field is longer and wider, and features a 20-yard deep end zone. There aren’t a whole lot of stats on CFL red zone concussions versus NFL red zone concussions, true, but the dynamics of the game are quantifiably different re: scoring. As of 2014, CFL teams scored about three more points per game, passed for more yardage, and ran the ball fewer times per game than the NFL.

Comparing scoring due to bigger field size in the CFL to the NFL is kinda laughable. CFL has a ton of rules (the biggest being 3 downs, not 4) that forces teams to throw more and be more spread out naturally. Also, you get a point for punting a ball out of the back of the endzone, and a point for missing a FG (makes are still 3) that then goes through the back of the endzone. There a lot of ways to ticky tack your way to a few more points a game in the CFL that have little to do with field at all.

I would think though taking the game to 3 down to 4 would reduce a lot of concussions, since blocking for runs basically isn't a thing. You hardly run in CFL unless you get like 7 or 8 yards on a first down pass or you are trying to catch a team off guard. 
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline KST8FAN

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 10:31:00 PM »
https://shop.vicis.co/products/zero1

Tom

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

Offline delerioustyme

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 11:07:07 PM »

Agreed, at least it's the component that takes a bit more time to come to fruition, since rules and all the other things can be solved in relatively smaller amounts of time.

Total side note related to the story, but this part of the story doesn't make sense when you know the context:

Specifically, building a deeper end zone avoids much of the constriction and heavy traffic impacts seen in the red zone. It also has the non-safety related side effect of opening up the end zones for offensive play-callers. The CFL’s field is longer and wider, and features a 20-yard deep end zone. There aren’t a whole lot of stats on CFL red zone concussions versus NFL red zone concussions, true, but the dynamics of the game are quantifiably different re: scoring. As of 2014, CFL teams scored about three more points per game, passed for more yardage, and ran the ball fewer times per game than the NFL.

Comparing scoring due to bigger field size in the CFL to the NFL is kinda laughable. CFL has a ton of rules (the biggest being 3 downs, not 4) that forces teams to throw more and be more spread out naturally. Also, you get a point for punting a ball out of the back of the endzone, and a point for missing a FG (makes are still 3) that then goes through the back of the endzone. There a lot of ways to ticky tack your way to a few more points a game in the CFL that have little to do with field at all.

I would think though taking the game to 3 down to 4 would reduce a lot of concussions, since blocking for runs basically isn't a thing. You hardly run in CFL unless you get like 7 or 8 yards on a first down pass or you are trying to catch a team off guard.

Yet most of the brutal hits come from plays other than running.  Passing plays and kick returns are where the big hits happen.  A WR cutting across the field in protected, returning a kick in a train like collision, and QB's scrambling to make a play with no protection from a defender twice the size and moving full speed to literally take their head off. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2017, 09:13:33 AM »
Can you find me the cliff notes version?

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2017, 10:04:49 AM »

Yet most of the brutal hits come from plays other than running.  Passing plays and kick returns are where the big hits happen.  A WR cutting across the field in protected, returning a kick in a train like collision, and QB's scrambling to make a play with no protection from a defender twice the size and moving full speed to literally take their head off. 

He trippin' so much, fans gonna begin to think he done fell off!

CTE though is much more of a continual, smaller hit over time problem than a one big wallop concussion, which running plays, and really having all the lineman just smashing into each other, is the main culprit of. It wouldn't solve everything going to 3 downs, but it would shift thinking.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2017, 10:22:41 AM »
It was interesting, thought I didn't get all the way through it.

I do think that there have been many changes made over that last few years that are positive for the game, namely most defensive coaches at all levels moving to rugby style tackling. Coaches have been teaching against leading with the head (on both defense and offense) for years, but rugby style tacking teaches keeping the head completely out of tackling (no more head across the ball carrier) and I think this will help. Of course, players will just react sometimes and the head will get involved (like Barnes vs KU that got him hurt last year).

Also, while I agree there is head to head contact some along the line, for the most part both defensive and offensive linemen are taught to use and lead with their hands so I don't think head to head contact happens a lot even in run blocking.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2017, 02:38:33 AM »
nm
« Last Edit: May 07, 2017, 12:57:22 PM by Powercat Posse »