Author Topic: going back to college  (Read 3445 times)

stunz

going back to college
« on: May 15, 2010, 07:33:21 PM »
anybody finish undergrad as like a 24-25 year old?  is that weird?  i've been making a living gambling which is weird in itself i guess.

seeing a lot of former classmates graduating and whatev, makes me feel like a huge turd. might be 1-2 years, but  i'm going to have to finish eventually.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

yoga-like_abana

Re: going back to college
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2010, 07:42:47 PM »

parents pressure you enough or u just decide to go back finally? online classes?

stunz

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2010, 07:51:53 PM »
nah it will be a while.  am a rebel anyways ;)  just thinking and unsure of the future.  man i have grown up a lot the past year but the idea of classes again concerns me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2010, 08:29:07 PM »
over half your graduating class will be over 23 years old.  I wouldn't worry about it. 

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2010, 08:37:29 PM »
Can you do a Triple Lindy?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2010, 08:39:18 PM »
I'll finish mine around age 32.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 15, 2010, 08:40:36 PM »
student tickets ZOMG!

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 15, 2010, 09:16:19 PM »
pretty much an expert on this (not on going back, but on being old and studenty).  you're fine till 30, in terms of not feeling weird.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 15, 2010, 09:42:43 PM »
unless you live in the dorms

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 15, 2010, 09:46:34 PM »
anybody finish undergrad as like a 24-25 year old?  is that weird?  i've been making a living gambling which is weird in itself i guess.

seeing a lot of former classmates graduating and whatev, makes me feel like a huge turd. might be 1-2 years, but  i'm going to have to finish eventually.

I think we have a mutual acquaintance (internet poker gambler, prairie village, spain, italy).....

You'll be fine.  Enjoy the hell out of it...you'll be armed with a perspective that your "peers" lack.  Crush as much ass as you can manage to round up.  Bask in your own glory, etc.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2010, 09:51:15 PM by Pete »

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 15, 2010, 09:48:00 PM »
stunz, you want to buy a house together and rent that SOB out to you and your roomates?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 15, 2010, 09:51:56 PM »
stunz, you want to buy a house together and rent that SOB out to you and your roomates?

Is this usurping Rick Daris' Canadian friend?

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2010, 01:30:13 AM »
Went back to school when I was thirty.  Basically started over. Finished when I was 33.  Night classes though, working full time.  I didn't feel weird but it wore me out.  It was a lot easier as an old bastage than it was when I was a youngster.  Easier to focus and buckle down.   Only thing that really sucks is trying to land a decent accounting job when younger grads can work for peanuts.  SMH.
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2010, 01:57:21 AM »
not weird.  I'm 28 and starting back this summer.  it's been a long time coming.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Deez Nutz

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2010, 10:45:07 AM »
i've been making a living gambling which is weird in itself i guess.

Not weird at all.  I'm thinking of quitting my job to become a professional gambler.  What and where do you play mostly?

stunz

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2010, 07:51:01 AM »
It was a lot easier as an old bastage than it was when I was a youngster.  Easier to focus and buckle down. 

hoping for this.  most likely going to go back to something math-related, derivatives might be a challenge. :runaway:

pete - lets party

play online actually, used to be mid, some high stakes (failed every time though, which is why this thread exists).  switched to pot-limit omaha, just learning the game now.

if/when i go back, tips on being as creepy as i can?

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2010, 07:53:41 AM »

Is this usurping Rick Daris' Canadian friend?

:curse:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2010, 07:55:12 AM »
Oh, also, since you're asian probably only other asians will be able to make any sort of accurate estimation on how old you are so you should be good there. 

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2010, 08:45:06 AM »
Did you ever switch back to regular poker or did you stay with short-stacking the whole time?
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2010, 11:15:54 AM »
stunz, were you able to avoid the war and sh*t in bankok?

stunz

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2010, 12:57:39 PM »
played 30bb capped, so sort of shortstacking

all the protesting is going on in specific areas, and i lived quite far away.  if people didn't talk about it, i would have no idea, aside from a little extra security, and the closing of the skytrain.  sometimes i would see trucks loaded up with red shirts, but that's about it. 

Offline kst8catfan

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2010, 07:37:56 AM »
Started at 30...finished at 35

It's doable.....just act normal....you'll be fine.  The "kids" will ask for your help in class, but won't acknowledge you otherwise.  That's OK, though.  You'll know stuff they won't know just because of the life experience thing and that's GREAT.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2010, 07:42:48 AM »
in fairness, stunner is only going to be like 23. plus he's asian. that's like 19 in white people years.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2010, 09:48:24 AM »
this is a non issue

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2010, 10:18:52 AM »
in fairness, stunner is only going to be like 23. plus he's asian. that's like 19 in white people years.

This is true.  I lived a dude that was 21 as a freshman.  This was back in 1999, he graduated in like 02 or something.  Moved back to Long
Beach to be a teacher, came back and then lived with a bro and me for a few years.  In 2004 my other roomate and I saw that he had been pulled over for speeding in Colby, Kansas blotter said that he was 31 at the time.  It was 2006 when we found out.  We didn't tell him I don't think he ever wanted anyone to know how old he was. He had a 20 year old gf at the time, and i think she thought he was 28, then they broke up.  He moved to Korea to teach English in late 2006 and hasn't been back. 

So this dude went through college from the age of around 26 or so through 30 and no one ever knew.