Author Topic: NEXT YEAR...  (Read 25310 times)

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
Re: NEXT YEAR...
« Reply #100 on: April 12, 2017, 10:58:19 AM »
Would bet that he is looking to play a game in either Florida or the DMV area to give Kam or Barry a "home" game. He has done this for every player.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 12, 2017, 10:59:22 AM »
I'm in favor of home and homes. Their home being Koch arena when the games are in Wichita. I can't see a reason why KSU doesn't go for it. It'd be great if KU would as well. I think KSU will have to take the lead on this one and maybe that will pressure KU into doing the same.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 12, 2017, 11:04:17 AM »
I'm in favor of home and homes. Their home being Koch arena when the games are in Wichita. I can't see a reason why KSU doesn't go for it. It'd be great if KU would as well. I think KSU will have to take the lead on this one and maybe that will pressure KU into doing the same.

Either KSU will take the lead and sign a deal or the legislature will make a move like Iowa and mandate it (though I don't think that will happen if it hasn't happened yet).

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 12, 2017, 11:08:27 AM »
I don't think it will either. If I remember correctly Florida made it a law that Miami, FSU, and UF had to play each other in football.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 12, 2017, 11:12:45 AM »
After a brief Google, perhaps it is just UF and FSU that are required. Learned a bit about the rivalry though. FSU was an all women's college until after WWII. Florida got most of the state funding and refused to play FSU without getting the lions share of the money. Choosing only to play Miami, their "natural" rival.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 12, 2017, 11:50:28 AM »

Either KSU will take the lead and sign a deal or the legislature will make a move like Iowa and mandate it (though I don't think that will happen if it hasn't happened yet).

A Big Four Classic type of set up would be fun, but it's tough to do with only 3 D1 schools in the state.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 12, 2017, 12:11:01 PM »
Oscar won't schedule any non-con game he can't/won't be guaranteed to win. WSU does not fit that criteria.  He needs to do that to succeed at the P5 level. He has shown that as long as he slouches toward the slightest hint of finishing in the top half of the conference, his $2+million honey pot continues uninterrupted because the admin and relevant donors do not care enough to expect and demand more.

It is what it is.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 12, 2017, 12:12:25 PM »
Oscar won't schedule any non-con game he can't/won't be guaranteed to win. WSU does not fit that criteria.  He needs to do that to succeed at the P5 level. He has shown that as long as he slouches toward the slightest hint of finishing in the top half of the conference, his $2+million honey pot continues uninterrupted because the admin and relevant donors do not care enough to expect and demand more.

It is what it is.

That's where the AD needs to step in like Currie did with football scheduling and make home and homes with P5 schools happen.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 12, 2017, 12:39:05 PM »
South Carolina.

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 12, 2017, 01:51:03 PM »

It is what it is.

That's where the AD needs to step in like Currie did with football scheduling and make home and homes with P5 schools happen.

agreed.  the more things that our new AD does like our old AD the better off our university will be.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 13, 2017, 02:48:42 AM »
South Carolina.

If the cowards at the Big 12 and SEC offices actually became interested in ratings instead of coddling the coaches wittle feelings we would have that and other amazing matchups.

KSU vs. USC
WVU vs UK
ISU vs who cares, Alabama I guess
KU vs Mizzou
OSU vs Tennessee
OU vs Arkansas
UT vs Florida
Baylor vs Vandy
TCU versus whoever
Tech vs. A&M

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 13, 2017, 06:57:30 AM »
Only switch I would make would be Texas vs Tennessee.

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 13, 2017, 09:54:52 AM »
That would make for a lot of intrigue. Would definitely watch most of those games.

Agree with the switch FAN proposed.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 13, 2017, 12:20:21 PM »
South Carolina.

ESPN, or whoever, needs to make this happen in the SEC-Big XII Challenge. Every year. I don't understand why we're always playing Mississippi or Tennessee. I thought playing Barnes this year would make me more interested. It didn't.

As for the Shockers, I'm an out of stater that totally wants that game being played every year. I'd rather play them than even a middle of the pack P5 bubble school. But other than doing this for the fans, I honestly don't see a reason for K-State to pursue it. Someone make the case.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 13, 2017, 12:36:44 PM »
South Carolina.
As for the Shockers, I'm an out of stater that totally wants that game being played every year. I'd rather play them than even a middle of the pack P5 bubble school. But other than doing this for the fans, I honestly don't see a reason for K-State to pursue it. Someone make the case.

When the series ended in the early 2000s we were trying to get WSU to do a 3 for 2 deal (3 in Bramlage, 2 at Koch) and they requested a home and home. Turgeon was their coach and they were just starting to get decent again. For us it seemed like a lose-lose, beat them and who cares because you are supposed to, lose and its a disaster. Of course at the time we were scuffling along as a program as well, so we had no case really.

Sine then, things have changed considerably and equal deal makes sense. WSU has been a Top 20 kenpom program for 6 straight years and has a Final 4 and a Sweet 16. They are now in one of the top 7-8 conferences in the country. We have 7 NCAAs in the last 10 years with an Elite 8.

The "lose-lose" argument simply isn't valid and I'm sure they would happily play a home and home with us.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 13, 2017, 12:51:21 PM »
South Carolina.

When the series ended in the early 2000s we were trying to get WSU to do a 3 for 2 deal (3 in Bramlage, 2 at Koch) and they requested a home and home. Turgeon was their coach and they were just starting to get decent again. For us it seemed like a lose-lose, beat them and who cares because you are supposed to, lose and its a disaster. Of course at the time we were scuffling along as a program as well, so we had no case really.

Sine then, things have changed considerably and equal deal makes sense. WSU has been a Top 20 kenpom program for 6 straight years and has a Final 4 and a Sweet 16. They are now in one of the top 7-8 conferences in the country. We have 7 NCAAs in the last 10 years with an Elite 8.

The "lose-lose" argument simply isn't valid and I'm sure they would happily play a home and home with us.

I don't think WSU wants to play K-State or KU. Either way they are the little guy getting an upset or the little getting putting in their place. I think they are all talk, that is why our negotiations with them broke down a couple of years ago.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 13, 2017, 12:53:25 PM »
I don't think there is any valid argument for saying WSU is a "little" anymore, at least by any sane person with knowledge of college basketball.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 13, 2017, 01:00:48 PM »
I really don't care to play the shockers.. like at all. I don't even think I have a wsu friend I could razz about being a shocker fan

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 13, 2017, 03:30:46 PM »
I don't think there is any valid argument for saying WSU is a "little" anymore, at least by any sane person with knowledge of college basketball.

They are a quality program, but they still commuter school. Not a national brand.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: April 13, 2017, 04:33:51 PM »
play angrytm
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: April 13, 2017, 04:40:21 PM »
They pay their coach more than we do.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 13, 2017, 05:29:10 PM »
They pay their coach more than we do.

well he's been more successful the last 10 years so there you go. :frown:

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: April 13, 2017, 06:43:19 PM »
Texas is favorite for Mo Bamba.  Six eleven with a 8 foot wingspan.  If this happens, count two more losses.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 13, 2017, 08:01:26 PM »

They are a quality program, but they still commuter school. Not a national brand.

There are about five college basketball programs that are national brands. That's an absurd dismissal for a college basketball program. Should we be dismissive of UConn, Cincinnati, Louisville, Memphis, and Gonzaga too?

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: April 13, 2017, 08:38:01 PM »
South Carolina.

I don't think WSU wants to play K-State or KU. Either way they are the little guy getting an upset or the little getting putting in their place. I think they are all talk, that is why our negotiations with them broke down a couple of years ago.

Really? I always thought they were begging to get back into a contract with us (and obviously KU). Did something change?