Author Topic: Jamie Dixon and the jumpin' horny toads...  (Read 7893 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Jamie Dixon and the jumpin' horny toads...
« Reply #50 on: March 01, 2017, 10:45:46 PM »
The OU game was pretty strange but nothing else should be too surprising

Yeah, that was odd.

But this breaks the pattern of 2012 oscar a little bit.

The last win expected was Tech at home.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #51 on: March 01, 2017, 10:53:51 PM »
Anyone who is confused has obviously never watched a oscar Weber coached basketball program.

Isn't he here right now because his last Illinois team couldn't pull these games out?
We're not that far along yet.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 01, 2017, 10:59:37 PM »
these cats are ready.  four meows.

only one meow but :emawkid:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: March 10, 2021, 07:56:13 PM »
How in the hell is this dude not on the hot seat and Prohm is and Weber was? Since he's got to TCU they have far and away been the worst team in the conference, by a country mile.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 10, 2021, 08:11:59 PM »
How in the hell is this dude not on the hot seat and Prohm is and Weber was? Since he's got to TCU they have far and away been the worst team in the conference, by a country mile.

That team flat out quit on him in the second half,  he definitely has gone under the radar somehow.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 10, 2021, 09:33:52 PM »
Because Dixon's at a school that's historically atrocious at basketball, because he has a better win percentage at TCU than oscar does at K-State, because he's the sole owner of the only TCU NCAA bid in the last 20+ years, because he owns 4 of the 7 non-losing seasons at TCU in the last 20+ years (in his 5 years as coach), because he owns one of two non-losing conference records in the last 20 years (and the only one since they joined the Big 12), because his not-so-great .391 Big 12 win percentage is still nearly 30(!) percentage points better than his predecessor, because he's the best TCU coach - by far - since Billy Tubbs left in 2002, because he's a TCU alum...

Maybe one or more of those reasons.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 11, 2021, 01:28:28 AM »
Because Dixon's at a school that's historically atrocious at basketball, because he has a better win percentage at TCU than oscar does at K-State, because he's the sole owner of the only TCU NCAA bid in the last 20+ years, because he owns 4 of the 7 non-losing seasons at TCU in the last 20+ years (in his 5 years as coach), because he owns one of two non-losing conference records in the last 20 years (and the only one since they joined the Big 12), because his not-so-great .391 Big 12 win percentage is still nearly 30(!) percentage points better than his predecessor, because he's the best TCU coach - by far - since Billy Tubbs left in 2002, because he's a TCU alum...

Man, strive for more, they are shitty and they've had decent talent which makes me think he's a shitty coach. Those winning seasons are a mirage. He's the master of the Jim Wooldridge, schedule the most awful non con ever, go into conference play at 11-2, then turn around and win 5 conference games. At least with Weber and Prohm you're going to get the occasional year that's truly a good, fun season. Jamie's good season is finishing 7th in the conference and take advantage of being in the #1 conference by metrics to get an 11 seed in the tournament and lose quietly during that 5:00PM Friday NCAA tournament game in Boise or Spokane that no one watches.

Offline Havs

• Taco Walk'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Twitter
« Reply #57 on: March 11, 2021, 11:11:00 AM »

Man, strive for more, they are shitty and they've had decent talent which makes me think he's a shitty coach. Those winning seasons are a mirage. He's the master of the Jim Wooldridge, schedule the most awful non con ever, go into conference play at 11-2, then turn around and win 5 conference games. At least with Weber and Prohm you're going to get the occasional year that's truly a good, fun season. Jamie's good season is finishing 7th in the conference and take advantage of being in the #1 conference by metrics to get an 11 seed in the tournament and lose quietly during that 5:00PM Friday NCAA tournament game in Boise or Spokane that no one watches.

They'll eventually get sick of him and 'strive for more' but I bet they'll be okay with him for a while longer. Basketball doesn't seem high on the list of "urgent things" at TCU. TBH nothing seems very urgent there, given the 20k football crowds during non-pandemic years and Gary Patterson's continual decline.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 11, 2021, 12:11:02 PM »
I honestly don't care about Jamie Dixon, but he pulled TCU out of the graveyard - they won the NIT in his first year (two years removed from going 0-18 in the league) and they made NCAAs the year after. Then, look at what he did at Pitt in 13 years: 13 postseason births, 11 NCAAs, 1 Elite Eight, 2 Sweet 16s, 2 conference titles (finished second 3 times), 8 25+ win seasons, 328-123 (.727) overall and 143-81 (.638) in conference.

If I had a choice between Dixon and Weber I'd choose Dixon (and it's not particularly close).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 11, 2021, 01:00:07 PM »
If I had a choice between Dixon and Weber I'd choose Dixon (and it's not particularly close).

Holy crap.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2021, 01:15:01 PM »

Holy crap.

These posts are really amazing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2021, 02:52:53 PM »

Holy crap.

When you take their career as a whole or even when Dixon got to the big 12 oscar's resume is unquestionably better. Sure oscar has lower lows, but he has more than all of those accomplishments that kith listed for Dixon. oscar has 6 damn conference championships.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2021, 03:18:14 PM »

Holy crap.

When you take their career as a whole or even when Dixon got to the big 12 oscar's resume is unquestionably better. Sure oscar has lower lows, but he has more than all of those accomplishments that kith listed for Dixon. oscar has 6 damn conference championships.

Weber has 4 conference titles at Power 5 schools (plus 2 at at SIU). He's got the national game appearance and final four that Dixon doesn't have, but Dixon has zero lows anywhere near Weber's 4 abysmal seasons at Illinois and K-State.

To each their own, but the whole thing started when you said Dixon was crap. He's not. And, it's at least debatable that he's in the same league as Weber (regardless of whom you prefer).

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2021, 03:58:58 PM »

Holy crap.

I mean are they really?  I suspect most people outside of the ksu bubble would call it a toss up.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2021, 04:09:15 PM »

Holy crap.

I mean are they really?  I suspect most people outside of the ksu bubble would call it a toss up.

Exactly

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2021, 05:02:26 PM »

Holy crap.

Weber has 4 conference titles at Power 5 schools (plus 2 at at SIU). He's got the national game appearance and final four that Dixon doesn't have, but Dixon has zero lows anywhere near Weber's 4 abysmal seasons at Illinois and K-State.

To each their own, but the whole thing started when you said Dixon was crap. He's not. And, it's at least debatable that he's in the same league as Weber (regardless of whom you prefer).

He is crap. Why are you giving him credit for what he did at Pitt, or even what he did his first few years at TCU? I started this by saying his job should be in jeopardy and if they were serious about basketball it would. Havs has the right answer, Dixon being seemingly safe has much more to do with their expectations and how little they care.

You're making an argument that he can stand on the merits of where the program is currently and that's silly. 19-33 in three years in any conference, in any circumstance outside of the NCAA death penalty, is completely unacceptable. We were talking about high highs and low lows, but oscar has never had a three year stretch that bad, and oscar's best three year stretch,'03-'06, is better than Dixon's 3 year stretch '08-'11.

There is no statistical reason to indicate that Dixon and the state of his program is on the right track and there is no statistical reasoning to indicate that Dixon has accomplished what oscar has. I don't know if someone outside of K-State, Illinois, Pitt, and TCU would care enough to even think about it but if they did consider it a toss up when presented with data, they're just ignoring the data.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2021, 08:06:38 PM »

Holy crap.

He is crap. Why are you giving him credit for what he did at Pitt, or even what he did his first few years at TCU? I started this by saying his job should be in jeopardy and if they were serious about basketball it would. Havs has the right answer, Dixon being seemingly safe has much more to do with their expectations and how little they care.

You're making an argument that he can stand on the merits of where the program is currently and that's silly. 19-33 in three years in any conference, in any circumstance outside of the NCAA death penalty, is completely unacceptable. We were talking about high highs and low lows, but oscar has never had a three year stretch that bad, and oscar's best three year stretch,'03-'06, is better than Dixon's 3 year stretch '08-'11.

There is no statistical reason to indicate that Dixon and the state of his program is on the right track and there is no statistical reasoning to indicate that Dixon has accomplished what oscar has. I don't know if someone outside of K-State, Illinois, Pitt, and TCU would care enough to even think about it but if they did consider it a toss up when presented with data, they're just ignoring the data.

Saying Dixon doesn't get credit for what he did at Pitt is like saying Weber doesn't get credit for what he did at Illionis. Which is to say, it's stupid. An 0-fer season in b-ball is a historically poor season. Dixon got TCU to a NCAA tourney a few years later. That's impressive. They have certainly plateued these past two years and he should be on the hot seat if they have another year next year like they had this year. But having a bit of perspective on how horrible the program was when he arrived is important. Dixon inherited a complete turd. Prohm and Weber didn't. TCU wasn't quite at KU football levels when he took over, but it was in the same hemisphere. If KU's next coach got them to a bowl game in three years (an easier thing to do than make NCAAs), KU fans would be ecstatic and give that coach a ton of leeway if he faltered thereafter.

And, as it relates to data, you're picking and choosing which data is most important to you ("oscar's best three-year stretch is better than Dixon's best three-stretch"). And, that's fine. But, by a number of other measures (career win %, conference win %, winning seasons, non-terrible seasons, NBA draft picks, etc.), Dixon is better than Weber. It just may not be the measures you value over others.

And, if you truly think that Dixon "is crap" then 95 percent of D-I coaches are crap because Dixon's resume is better than the rest.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2021, 10:43:08 PM »
Okay, you got me. Jamie Dixon has won 57% of his conference games, oscar has won 56%. Total winning percentage 69% to 63%. oscar has coached more NBA players, 12-10 if wiki is right. I guess you can take those years with the .531 winning percentage, I'll take the guy with more and more recent trophies.

You agreed with Chingon that Weber and Dixon were toss ups then literally the next post you said Dixon is better than 95 percent of the other D1 coaches, both of those definitely cannot be true. I mean he has the 5th best resume by the most incredibly generous measure in the conference, it's gonna be real tough to get to that 95% from there.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2021, 10:55:34 PM »
Jamie Dixon has a SAG card! I knew he was a child actor, I did not know he acted as an adult.

Offline Kid In the Hall

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2021, 08:47:26 AM »
Okay, you got me. Jamie Dixon has won 57% of his conference games, oscar has won 56%. Total winning percentage 69% to 63%. oscar has coached more NBA players, 12-10 if wiki is right. I guess you can take those years with the .531 winning percentage, I'll take the guy with more and more recent trophies.

You agreed with Chingon that Weber and Dixon were toss ups then literally the next post you said Dixon is better than 95 percent of the other D1 coaches, both of those definitely cannot be true. I mean he has the 5th best resume by the most incredibly generous measure in the conference, it's gonna be real tough to get to that 95% from there.

Oscar has actually only personally recruited two NBA draft picks in his entire career in Leonard and Westicles (picks vs. players in the NBA being two different things) whereas Dixon's got six. And, once again, context is helpful here when you look at their winning percentages at their Power 5 stops. Weber inherited two top 25 programs. Dixon inherited a top 25 program at Pitt (though one that had been thoroughly average and only recently turned around by Ben Howland only two years prior to Dixon taking over) and an absolute dumpster fire at TCU. His win percentage at Pitt (a similar situation to Weber's at Illinois and K-State) destroys Weber's.

And, by the same token, saying Dixon is "crap" must mean that there are only about 25 good college basketball coaches in the country because Dixon's resume is better than the other 300+ coaches.

Regardless, I'm done - none of this is obviously sinking in. Talking about Dixon's SAG card would probably be much more interesting.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2021, 09:45:10 AM »
Thank God someone is here to passionately advocate for Jamie Dixon.

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 05, 2021, 04:56:43 AM »
STEVE

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 05, 2021, 05:04:11 AM »
Of penis is truth for crystalsys

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 05, 2021, 07:29:03 AM »

Holy crap.

Just catching up on these threads J bumped, but hilariously, before finishing with 3 wins in the last 4, oscar had a 2.9 year stretch where he was 18-32 in conference INCLUDING A CONFERENCE TITLE YEAR!
:adios:

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 05, 2021, 08:32:24 AM »
Didn't UCLA try to get Dixon before Cronin?