Author Topic: 'LIKE' for Frank Martin coming back. 'Share' for no!  (Read 5988 times)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: 'LIKE' for Frank Martin coming back. 'Share' for no!
« Reply #50 on: February 28, 2017, 06:20:48 PM »
This number is over 400 now.

I ask him again, more calmly or whatever and he says that Weber has 200+ wins (he had the exact number). 

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 28, 2017, 06:27:57 PM »
I love (loved) frank as deeply as possible, but I don't think much of the idea of making your first wife your third wife. Too much baggage for us to be happy I think. Too deep the wounds, too many scars.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 28, 2017, 06:33:36 PM »
I have to like our coaches in order to cheer for them.  That's just me tho.

If you liked LHC Bill Snyder 1.0 it was because you learned to. He wasn't a likeable coach, we weren't a likeable program and we liked it that way.

I was an early adopter, but mostly because of my age.  I've loved him since the fall of 1993.  Not sure about the learned to part.  That has nothing to do with how those outside of KSU felt.

Right but he had no likeable traits; he wasn't warm, funny, welcoming, happy, like nothing people find likeable, he just won. So yes, you can cheer for someone you don't like. Bill was CFB's version of Jim Calhoun or Jim Boeheim; an old, intractable, jerk.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 28, 2017, 06:36:35 PM »
None of those guys are rough ridin' awkward excuse making dorks tho.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 28, 2017, 07:00:36 PM »
None of those guys are rough ridin' awkward excuse making dorks tho.

What are you talking about? I'm not advocating for oscar, just stating you'd be fine with his idiosyncrasies if he was a winner. Isn't that obvious? Pretty sure Alabama fans love the crap out of Saban, is he likeable?

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 28, 2017, 07:19:54 PM »
What the eff are you talking about?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 28, 2017, 07:42:57 PM »
Pete: I only cheer for coaches I like (off the field/court)
MIR: You like coaches who win, no matter if they're assholes off the field/court or not

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 28, 2017, 11:49:06 PM »
That covers it, thanks.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 01, 2017, 08:27:29 AM »
If Weber were winning, he wouldn't be making excuses all the time.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 01, 2017, 08:33:01 AM »
If Weber were winning, he wouldn't be making excuses all the time.

Good point.

Offline TheFormerKCCat

• DoD/Early 90s Era EMAWr
  • Combo-Fan
  • Loyal to a fault
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 01, 2017, 03:58:21 PM »
(only because "Love" wasn't an option)
But Frank ain't walking through that door.
I'm in it purely for the entertainment value.

Offline SleepFighter

• Katpak'r
  • I'll wait here for my Cherry Coke Zero.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 01, 2017, 09:19:22 PM »
Go watch Bill and oscar's first press conferences at K-State again. I loved Bill and hated oscar from the start, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 01, 2017, 09:51:12 PM »
Go watch Bill and oscar's first press conferences at K-State again. I loved Bill and hated oscar from the start, and I doubt I'm the only one.

Yeah. Awfully weird/presumptive/bossy of MIR to just insist to everyone that they didn't like LHC Bill Snyder the first time around. I definitely did. I know shitloads of people who did.But honestly, it's not worth spending any more time on it in this thread.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 01, 2017, 10:22:29 PM »

Yeah. Awfully weird/presumptive/bossy of MIR to just insist to everyone that they didn't like LHC Bill Snyder the first time around. I definitely did. I know shitloads of people who did.But honestly, it's not worth spending any more time on it in this thread.

That's literally the opposite point I was making but whatever.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 08, 2017, 10:17:56 AM »
Frank was such an odd shaped man.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 08, 2017, 10:25:26 AM »

Was he wearing black pants like a groom that wears a different color vest than his groomsmen?

Online yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 08, 2017, 10:28:24 AM »
I love (loved) frank as deeply as possible, but I don't think much of the idea of making your first wife your third wife. Too much baggage for us to be happy I think. Too deep the wounds, too many scars.
can't think of frank as the first wife.. if nothing else he's the second wife and lets say it was the stepchild that drove a wedge in between your relationship but now that stepchild has grown up and moved away....  :fatty:

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 08, 2017, 10:38:29 AM »

Was he wearing black pants like a groom that wears a different color vest than his groomsmen?
and figgs had to wear his own shoes

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 08, 2017, 10:00:15 PM »
Frank had a program that worked at a place like Kansas State. He is now implementing that program at a similarly situated school, South Carolina. The quantitative comparison between Frank and oscar is only 1 way of selecting who you prefer. At both of these schools you have to essentially turn three stars into a team that can compete with KU or Kentucky if you want to be relevant. To do that with three stars requires team solidarity, playing with a chip on your shoulder, and just generally being tougher than the more talented teams. And in the Big 12, there is more than KU to contend with in terms of talent deficit if you are K-State. It's arguably easier to do in the SEC. Which maybe is why some of us are surprised he hasn't turned it around quicker there -- but I'd like to emphasize how bad that So. Car. team was that he inherited. oscar inherited a much better situation in Manhattan.

This all leads me to my point, even if we assume that Frank and oscar teams were around the same on many quantitative metrics, what rough ridin' matters is winning games because of your overall toughness and intangibles. This simply isn't reflected in the stats. So, what your eyes show you still matter, especially when you consider that they're arguably equal statistically at KSU and consider some of the facts of recruiting life when you are trying to bring kids to Manhattan, Kansas.

:th_twocents:

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: March 08, 2017, 11:44:36 PM »
5 years. 4 NCAAs. 1 NIT. An Elite 8. A tournament win every year. A top 3 defense in the league 4 of the 5 years. Won 60% of his Big 12 games and was never .500 or worse. .500 record on the road in Big 12 play. Won 45% of his games against the RPI Top 50.

selectively citing particular statistics to bolster your case isn't helping your case, it's only proving my point.
oscar has won a crap load more games over a crap load longer time than frank.  both's career stats are helped by inheriting a ton of talent from others.

i posted a more numeric version of this in some other thread a few days ago.  martin's teams, excluding his first two years at usc, are very consistent defensively.  his offensive numbers bounce around more and determine where the team falls on the scale from sorta good to really good.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
'LIKE' for Frank Martin coming back. 'Share' for no!
« Reply #70 on: March 09, 2017, 06:55:45 AM »
Frank just hasn't been able to develop the offensive success at South Carolina, but this year he has an elite defense. Maybe Brad helped that much.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2017, 09:24:44 AM »
Would Wade transfer? I can't see those two getting along and it'd be Spradling all over again. Or maybe it would toughen him up.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-T377A using Tapatalk
whole team is a bunch of fp's theyd probably all quit

The team responds as it is coached.  I like our players, and think Frank would get the best out of them. 

Like!

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2017, 11:17:46 AM »
5 years. 4 NCAAs. 1 NIT. An Elite 8. A tournament win every year. A top 3 defense in the league 4 of the 5 years. Won 60% of his Big 12 games and was never .500 or worse. .500 record on the road in Big 12 play. Won 45% of his games against the RPI Top 50.

selectively citing particular statistics to bolster your case isn't helping your case, it's only proving my point.
oscar has won a crap load more games over a crap load longer time than frank.  both's career stats are helped by inheriting a ton of talent from others.

i posted a more numeric version of this in some other thread a few days ago.  martin's teams, excluding his first two years at usc, are very consistent defensively.  his offensive numbers bounce around more and determine where the team falls on the scale from sorta good to really good.

it makes sense.  you can coach defense with or without superior athletes, it's a mindset.  there's only so much a coach can do on the other side of the ball.  i think, too, that frank takes advantage of the fact that his peers focus their time on offense

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.