Author Topic: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)  (Read 117113 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
Re: New AD List (acceptable- weiberg, hocutt. not acceptable-veatch)
« Reply #700 on: April 16, 2017, 10:20:48 AM »
Quote from: MakeItRain link=topic=39008.msg1709913#msg1709913
None of this has anything to do with your wild ass assumptions that Bjork essentially told LHC Bill Snyder to sit his ass down and Taylor told Snyder that he would go as far as wiping Snyder's backside if that got him the job. There's nothing as all about the ages of those two guys that should have led you down the road you went down. A 44 year old man can't respect the wishes of a hall of fame coach but a 57 year old has the total ability to show compete deference?

You've also already assumed that Taylor wants to hire Klieman. I'm aware that the old NDSU got a job at freaking Wyoming, I'm guessing Taylor knows that too.

You're taking things I said and are kind of pushing them to extremes. Putting a guy who has continued a dominant run in FCS and developed a #1 draft pick QB on the short list doesn't mean he's candidate of choice. I have a handful of people I put on short lists for various roles in my organization, but it doesn't mean that I'm giving them the job if someone better comes along.

But, yes, I think Bill could have been tired of dealing with a young SEC guy for the past few years, and regardless of who Bjork is or how he thinks, my intuition says a near 80 y/o man, who is on the doorstep of retirement, may prefer an older guy. Past experience dealing with a multitude of aging execs tells me that they prefer dealing with older people. That's not a wild ass assumption. That is sitting down with people like Bill for a long time and listening to them complain about young talent. Hell, I just had a conversation with a guy a couple of months ago who told me that a couple of late 20's guys I had were geniuses, but he'd rather have people in their 40's and 50's around because they've been there, you know?  So, he wanted me to replace the two best people on his account with inferior folks because of age.

Put Meyers, Snyder, and Wefald in a room, and sure, I can see them liking a guy in his late 50's over a guy in his early 40's.

And, yes, I believe the selection committee picked some names and Meyers decided with heavy input from Wefald and Snyder because common sense.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2017, 10:26:52 AM by Panjandrum »

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: new AD Hire (next door neighbor dad looking guy from iowa)
« Reply #701 on: April 16, 2017, 10:47:41 AM »
I mean, people on here have complained constantly about Currie's poor relationships with coaches, but they think it's weird to get current coaches' input on a new AD hire? 

I've got hope for Gene. I don't think there is such a thing as a home run AD hire. Just guys who make things run on time and foster as good an atmosphere as possible across all sports programs.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: New AD List (acceptable- weiberg, hocutt. not acceptable-veatch)
« Reply #702 on: April 16, 2017, 05:46:54 PM »

Put Meyers, Snyder, and Wefald in a room, and sure, I can see them liking a guy in his late 50's over a guy in his early 40's.

And, yes, I believe the selection committee picked some names and Meyers decided with heavy input from Wefald and Snyder because common sense.

Why? I had no idea those guys were ageist. I would have thought three successful people would have gotten where they are without caring about someone's age. Did I misread Bjork's wiki page? I didn't know he was 24 years old.

I mean, people on here have complained constantly about Currie's poor relationships with coaches, but they think it's weird to get current coaches' input on a new AD hire? 

I've got hope for Gene. I don't think there is such a thing as a home run AD hire. Just guys who make things run on time and foster as good an atmosphere as possible across all sports programs.

What coaches should they be asking? The two revenue sport coaches are going to be here for a combined 38 more minutes. We shouldn't give two shits about what LHC Bill Snyder thinks about the new athletic director for a variety of reasons, I'm sure they do care about his input though.

Offline DKmode500

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: April 16, 2017, 07:21:34 PM »
Personally, which was kind of alluded to before, i don't believe there really was a home run hire out there for us:

Veatch? That dude was a bunt, and from what i've heard he ruined his chances by aligning himself with his former boss on too many big decisions. Good fund raiser, not a guy I'd trust to make big tims decisions on his own.

Hocutt? Experienced, young and good fund raiser. But frankly i've never understood our fanbases obsession with him. Had a massive scandal unfold in his time at Miami which he had no desire to own or fix, just bolted....to Tech, where he really hasn't been able to foster meaningful success on ths field/court with some of his hires.

Weiberg? Again, well liked, but like Veatch, havent seen him make big keg decisions on his own

The more i think about this hire the more i like it. For one primary but enormous reason and that's not only transitioning NDSU from DII to DI but guiding them to some pretty serious success and making them an absolute force in the FCS. Not many AD's in the country have the foresight to take on that kind of gambling venture AND make it wildly successful.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: April 16, 2017, 09:58:09 PM »
Personally, which was kind of alluded to before, i don't believe there really was a home run hire out there for us:

Veatch? That dude was a bunt, and from what i've heard he ruined his chances by aligning himself with his former boss on too many big decisions. Good fund raiser, not a guy I'd trust to make big tims decisions on his own.

Hocutt? Experienced, young and good fund raiser. But frankly i've never understood our fanbases obsession with him. Had a massive scandal unfold in his time at Miami which he had no desire to own or fix, just bolted....to Tech, where he really hasn't been able to foster meaningful success on ths field/court with some of his hires.

Weiberg? Again, well liked, but like Veatch, havent seen him make big keg decisions on his own

The more i think about this hire the more i like it. For one primary but enormous reason and that's not only transitioning NDSU from DII to DI but guiding them to some pretty serious success and making them an absolute force in the FCS. Not many AD's in the country have the foresight to take on that kind of gambling venture AND make it wildly successful.

Solid first post. I like you already.

Also, thought the Ole Miss AD would have been a great hire, but he's in the middle of a scandal and potentially getting fired.... A. Tucks would have never allowed him and B. Yes, I know you all are all for more cheating, but the problem is he let his coach cheat and get caught... if you are gonna go with an AD who lets things slide you gotta make sure he doesn't get caught.

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: April 16, 2017, 11:10:14 PM »
Great point. We all want rampant cheating, but it's important not to get caught.
emaw

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: April 17, 2017, 01:02:00 AM »

What coaches should they be asking? The two revenue sport coaches are going to be here for a combined 38 more minutes. We shouldn't give two shits about what LHC LHC LHC Bill Snyder thinks about the new athletic director for a variety of reasons, I'm sure they do care about his input though.

I would think they'd be interested in feedback from all of them, but obviously more from the coaches you want to keep (giving oscar basically no say in the matter, obv).

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: April 17, 2017, 10:05:50 AM »

It's too early to say for certain,  but it's possible that singularity is real and my conscious has been uploaded with this post being its first contact with mortal humans.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: April 17, 2017, 10:27:32 AM »
Press Conference starts in 3 minutes. 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: April 17, 2017, 10:37:21 AM »
First impression:  Gene seems like a genuine guy, but looks like the clown from It. 

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #711 on: April 17, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Gene seems like a normal person.  Got emotional when talking about family.  Not awkward like Curry. 

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: April 17, 2017, 10:42:13 AM »
Any mention of cotton Fitzpatrick or Ernie Barnett?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #713 on: April 17, 2017, 10:46:26 AM »
What's with the guaranteed increases on the contract? Like, what happened to performance based increases? 
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: April 17, 2017, 10:48:30 AM »
Fitz just compared us to NDSU fans.  And Gene agreed.   :facepalm:

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: April 17, 2017, 10:48:35 AM »
currie set the new standard on those after the titletown

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: April 17, 2017, 10:55:27 AM »
What's with the guaranteed increases on the contract? Like, what happened to performance based increases? 

It seems to be pretty common now in looking at other coaching contracts. :dunno:

Offline fun muffin

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: April 17, 2017, 10:57:55 AM »
I think I like Gene.  Very well spoken.  Down to earth type.  He should fit in well here. 

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: April 17, 2017, 10:58:37 AM »
I think I like Gene.  Very well spoken.  Down to earth type.  He should fit in well here. 

sounds a lot like our football recruits

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: April 17, 2017, 10:59:02 AM »
Fitz just compared us to NDSU fans.  And Gene agreed.   :facepalm:
I might just have to trade my bib overalls in for some cargo shorts.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: April 17, 2017, 10:59:30 AM »
I love KSU and am cool with paying talent if that means keeping/making KSU competitive, but am pretty jealous I can't work in a guaranteed 10% raise each year for me.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #723 on: April 17, 2017, 11:24:22 AM »
I thought this thing was going to be live streamed, but I could never get it to work.