Author Topic: Is it fair for Transgenders to compete in sports as who they think they are? No  (Read 42431 times)

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
also, if those 5 things were your top takeaways, that's pretty disappointing

good grief dude.

MC: "CF3, watch this vid"
CF3: "ok man I'll give it a chance. I really would like to understand a perspective different from my own! Hey Rusty, it seems like here are some reasons the interview alludes to why this kid should be playing girls sports, am I seeing this right?"
MC: "Wow. That's really disappointing."

Literally the first thing in my post was I have empathy for the kid, and agree the 'pub culture war stuff is silly.

Yeah you did say you had empathy, but your takeaways didn't seem like you did. I misinterpreted, my bad. Wasn't trying to have a "gotcha" moment with you at all.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'll address your takeaways earnestly

also c43, I'd highly encourage you to watch the video of the trans girl who is a good example of who these laws are targeting.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?si=FdV9C1POjDeu6XEO&v=nJc4hxxdCJ8&feature=youtu.be

The crap dax shares is just dumb culture war nonsense. I'm sure the trans grapplers that need to fight against men will struggle but IMO that's worth it if kids like Ember can play sports as they are.

I watched it. I have tons of empathy for the kid, and I agree that much of the culture war republican stuff is silly.

Rusty, is the main argument made in the video:
1. Ember isn't that good of an athlete so it doesn't matter - Isn't the the primary argument for the "Save Women's Sports" movement that trans girls will (or already do) unfairly dominate girl's sports? I think the video is just highlighting that the bills like this target mostly ordinary, mediocre kids.
2. It's a rare situation, not that common so should be ignored I would argue this highlights the cruelty of the bills - it is targeting a very small group of very vulnerable children.
3. The girls on the team don't care that Ember is trans I didn't think this was a major talking point at all
4. Ember has been on hormones for a year so she is a girl now I think this is a fairly significant misinterpretation. The discussion on the hoops she had to go through with the OHSAA was to highlight how difficult it and arbitrary it already was to be able to play, and then it was still taken away from her.
5. The softball fields are crap so no one really cares about girls sports A very minor talking point, but yes it's a pretty valid IMO

Am i seeing that right?

« Last Edit: October 31, 2023, 11:58:46 AM by michigancat »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
response to 4 makes sense. you're probably right that that was the talking point

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
response to 4 makes sense. you're probably right that that was the talking point

do you refute the points Ember was making (not just on number 4, but the others)? Do you think they were valid or no?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
also, if those 5 things were your top takeaways, that's pretty disappointing

Also, "much of the culture war republican stuff is silly." It's not silly. It's dangerous and causes active harm.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Nothing even remotely close to the harm that proactively telling people who often times already have a level of mental instability that there's a genocide being committed against them.

To the point that they openly advocate for owning advance assault weapons and print t-shirts that say as much, and write manifestos (that we can't read) and slaughter children.
'

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
This isn't the Great Replacement thread dax.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
You'll need to talk to Lick about that Capt. Driveby.  He's the one pining for Bahrain-Qatar-UAE America

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
CF3 I would like to ask a couple of questions. First, help walk me through your thought process on the girls who are harmed by trans girls being allowed to participate. So what happens to these girls? In the cases that get the most attention...that girl doesn't win the trophy. or she wins the lesser trophy. Okay. She still makes the team. Extrapolating that out...i suppose that means that there will be the girl that doesn't make the team. or she makes JV instead of varsity.

Now I will admit you know a lot more about the high school girls than i do, but anecdotally speaking, in highschool the kids that don't make the team aren't a bunch of try-hard Dan Ruettigers giving it 110% every play in the hopes of getting off the practice squad and getting to dress for just one game. If those kids don't make the team, they move on. They might be bummed out for a little bit, sure, i mean nobody celebrates NOT making the team, but i think its fair to say its the sort of thing that doesn't alter their trajectory in life, you know? Like i didn't get the part of Hamlet in the high school play, and i'm pretty sure that even if I had, I still wouldn't be a big name Hollywood actor. 

So i guess where i'm going with this is...where do you think we should draw the line? If even 1 girl doesn't make the team because the trans girl did is that 1 more than ever should have and we need to start passing laws? Is it 100?

Because i gotta tell you man...even as a heterosexual white male, i still have had plenty of times where - at least in my mind - someone got an unfair advantage to my detriment. I think that's just part of the human condition.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I'd like to hear how trans athletes have impacted the sports cf3 officiates. I believe he said he has an upclose view of the issue.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
I have multiple female athletes competing in sports and they are not even aware of this issue.  I would suggest unless you have girls competing against trans students you really don't have a dog in this fight.  I will decide to be outraged when and if this is a problem for my kids.  Not sure why non parents of involved kids are trying to make laws about it.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'd like to hear how trans athletes have impacted the sports cf3 officiates. I believe he said he has an upclose view of the issue.

dude, troll dax. please don't troll me.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I'm not trolling. Maybe I misunderstood what you said.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I think he was saying he saw the inequity of sports up close and personal and was willing to discuss that.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

all good

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
My mistake, I didn't read clearly.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
#1cat

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
#1cat

Do you want to have a serious discussion on this issue or not? OK if you don't want to, just want to know where you stand

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

I think he was saying he saw the inequity of sports up close and personal and was willing to discuss that.
Maybe quit mansplaning for CF3 and let him answer on his own.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
#1cat

Do you want to have a serious discussion on this issue or not? OK if you don't want to, just want to know where you stand

yeah dude. It was Halloween yesterday and I'm working today. Posts that are going to require more than a sentence or 2 might take a day or 2 to get to for me. just give me a minute.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

do you refute the points Ember was making (not just on number 4, but the others)? Do you think they were valid or no?

Eh. Somewhat? I'm coming around to the sports bodies should be the ones governing eligibility instead of politicians. So in Kansas KSHSAA, in Missouri, MSHSAA etc. If it is as rare as that case with Ember, then yeah, I'll concede politicians ought to focus their energy elsewhere. Most high school sports rules are set by NFHSS and then adopted state by state, I would imagine at some point they'll have to set a standard there for who is eligible for Boys/Girls sports if they haven't already. I will look into that.

As far as a kid like Ember, yeah in the grand scheme of life, some kid playing backup catcher on the girls softball team is pretty harmless, that's fair. I'm still of the opinion that it makes more sense to separate sports by biological sex, but a kid like Ember doesn't really change that opinion for me, sorry. I'm also like, not outraged by it.

As far as the talking point of the true inequity is in facilities/funds for girls vs. boys sports, that to me feels like whataboutism. It might be a totally valid point, but that's not the discussion at hand. My personal experience with my own kids' sports and being around sports in the part of Kansas I live in is it's about the school, not the gender. The girls softball facilities at Blue Valley Southwest or the Volleyball opportunities at St. Thomas Aquinas are really unbelievable, whereas the baseball field at Wyandotte High School has a concrete pad in center field and broken glass in the dugouts. That's what I meant when I said I see the inequity up close.   

I have multiple female athletes competing in sports and they are not even aware of this issue.  I would suggest unless you have girls competing against trans students you really don't have a dog in this fight.  I will decide to be outraged when and if this is a problem for my kids.  Not sure why non parents of involved kids are trying to make laws about it.

Eh, there are tons of things that don't impact you personally that you're ok with having opinions on. I get what you mean, but we all weigh in on stuff all the time that don't impact us. No one I know has ever been shot, but I have a lot to say about gun culture etc.

CF3 I would like to ask a couple of questions. First, help walk me through your thought process on the girls who are harmed by trans girls being allowed to participate. So what happens to these girls? In the cases that get the most attention...that girl doesn't win the trophy. or she wins the lesser trophy. Okay. She still makes the team. Extrapolating that out...i suppose that means that there will be the girl that doesn't make the team. or she makes JV instead of varsity.

Now I will admit you know a lot more about the high school girls than i do, but anecdotally speaking, in highschool the kids that don't make the team aren't a bunch of try-hard Dan Ruettigers giving it 110% every play in the hopes of getting off the practice squad and getting to dress for just one game. If those kids don't make the team, they move on. They might be bummed out for a little bit, sure, i mean nobody celebrates NOT making the team, but i think its fair to say its the sort of thing that doesn't alter their trajectory in life, you know? Like i didn't get the part of Hamlet in the high school play, and i'm pretty sure that even if I had, I still wouldn't be a big name Hollywood actor. 

So i guess where i'm going with this is...where do you think we should draw the line? If even 1 girl doesn't make the team because the trans girl did is that 1 more than ever should have and we need to start passing laws? Is it 100?

Because i gotta tell you man...even as a heterosexual white male, i still have had plenty of times where - at least in my mind - someone got an unfair advantage to my detriment. I think that's just part of the human condition.

1. Grand scheme of life, sure, not the greatest injustice and most kids will be fine. But the biggest thing to me is these are opportunities and spaces reserved for girls, so they should remain that way. Ember is a unique one because there aren't boys softball teams in Ohio (I think).

2. Yeah probably not worthy of a law. But my line has always been pretty easy and clear. Spaces and opportunities where sex/gender is segregated should stay that way. Prisons, changing rooms, should (IMO) be segregated by sex. Girls sports teams are a space for girls.

Dunno if that answered. Hope it helps.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It sounds like the core of your issue is you don't believe trans girls are girls. However what is the harm done by allowing Ember to play with girls, even if YOU don't believe she's a girl?

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
It sounds like the core of your issue is you don't believe trans girls are girls. However what is the harm done by allowing Ember to play with girls, even if YOU don't believe she's a girl?

Well, at that point it ceases to be a girls team. It's a space reserved for girls. Probably not a lot of harm! But by that logic if the 8th grade team is reserved for 8th grade team, what is the harm in an 11th grader participating? I'm just more ok with boundaries being boundaries for participation I guess.

Ember isn't a great example since the sport is softball, I guess I would ask you the same question. What's the harm in asking a transgirl to participate on the boys team, even if YOU don't believe she's a boy? Imagine Ember or some kid is playing basketball/cross country/track/swimming etc.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Well, at that point it ceases to be a girls team. It's a space reserved for girls. Probably not a lot of harm! But by that logic if the 8th grade team is reserved for 8th grade team, what is the harm in an 11th grader participating? I'm just more ok with boundaries being boundaries for participation I guess.

The 11th grader probably wouldn't cause much harm either, but they wouldn't be doing it to be with their peers/friends/community like an 8th grade trans girl would. However if there's like a 15 year old 8th grader who wants to play with their 8th grade friends, I say let them play!

Ember isn't a great example since the sport is softball, I guess I would ask you the same question. What's the harm in asking a transgirl to participate on the boys team, even if YOU don't believe she's a boy? Imagine Ember or some kid is playing basketball/cross country/track/swimming etc.

Primarily an increased risk of suicide by the trans girl.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The 11th grader probably wouldn't cause much harm either, but they wouldn't be doing it to be with their peers/friends/community like an 8th grade trans girl would. However if there's like a 15 year old 8th grader who wants to play with their 8th grade friends, I say let them play!

Primarily an increased risk of suicide by the trans girl.

Is there a study that backs up that claim? Honestly asking