Author Topic: Is it fair for Transgenders to compete in sports as who they think they are? No  (Read 42423 times)

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
I do not think a law banning same-sex business partnerships is discriminatory.

Do you think such a law furthers an important government interest by means that are substantially related to that interest?

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

Do you think such a law furthers an important government interest by means that are substantially related to that interest?

I do not think such a law would further an important government interest. However, I don't think it's the kind of thing a court should find  the law invalid on discrimination grounds; perhaps on freedom of association grounds.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

I knew this would be the next question. I would not call this discrimination. I also would not call a law prohibiting business partnerships between close family members discriminatory.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

I do not think such a law would further an important government interest. However, I don't think it's the kind of thing a court should find  the law invalid on discrimination grounds; perhaps on freedom of association grounds.

Well, you've just admitted it would violate the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, which addresses discrimination, so ...

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile

Well, you've just admitted it would violate the 14th Amendment's Equal Protection Clause, which addresses discrimination, so ...

Ipso facto, as they say

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

I knew this would be the next question. I would not call this discrimination. I also would not call a law prohibiting business partnerships between close family members discriminatory.
Well I appreciate you keeping with a logically consistent point and also confirming you have no idea what discrimination means lmao.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile

I think it's more of a 1st Amendment thing than an Equal Protection thing.
« Last Edit: June 18, 2023, 06:06:47 PM by Justwin »

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

Well I appreciate you keeping with a logically consistent point and also confirming you have no idea what discrimination means lmao.

What do you think discrimination means?

It's quite possible that I just have a much narrower definition than you do. I'm also not limited by what courts may have previously ruled in forming my personal opinions.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

It's quite possible that I just have a much narrower definition than you do. I'm also not limited by what courts may have previously ruled in forming my personal opinions.
I’m actually curious what your definition is, cause you appear to be stuck in the “separate but equal” zone where there’s no discrimination so long as some form of bathroom/water fountain is available to each race.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

"I am not bound by the law when discussing the law."

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile

less government, great call sprac

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

This is literally the "intermediate scrutiny" test applied by courts to laws that discriminate on the basis of sex. Note that the verb "to discriminate" has two meanings. It can mean "to differentiate" or "to subjugate". But in Constitutional jurisprudence, the law is clear that it means "to differentiate," also known as anti-classificationism. Classifications based on sex, as in this hypothetical, receive "intermediate scrutiny," which is a type of heightened scrutiny. I merely typed out the Constitutional question/test that would be applied to such a hypothetical law. It's not my fault you don't know dick about crap.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

This is literally the "intermediate scrutiny" test applied by courts to laws that discriminate on the basis of sex. Note that the verb "to discriminate" has two meanings. It can mean "to differentiate" or "to subjugate". But in Constitutional jurisprudence, the law is clear that it means "to differentiate," also known as anti-classificationism. Classifications based on sex, as in this hypothetical, receive "intermediate scrutiny," which is a type of heightened scrutiny. I merely typed out the Constitutional question/test that would be applied to such a hypothetical law. It's not my fault you don't know dick about crap.
Great reply chat gpt

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
No, that was just off the top of my head. But I'm flattered.

Offline DaBigTrain

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • stuxnet, meltdown, spectre, Bitcoin, ffChamp
    • View Profile
I’m not sure YLA understands the quality of AI it’s responding too. SpracsAI is quite advanced.
"The Times 03/Jan/2009 Chancellor on brink of second bailout for banks"

https://blockstream.info/block/000000000019d6689c085ae165831e934ff763ae46a2a6c172b3f1b60a8ce26f

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
It really just goes to show that no matter what your level of scholarship on a topic, literally anyone can just show up on a message board and post whatever they want

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
Like if I wanted to, right now I could just go pop into the cooking thread and tell AST he doesn’t know jack crap about cooking. What a time to be alive!

Offline OB_Won

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Like if I wanted to, right now I could just go pop into the cooking thread and tell AST he doesn’t know jack crap about cooking. What a time to be alive!
No better example of that than covid-19.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Zero chance he understood that

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

I’m actually curious what your definition is, cause you appear to be stuck in the “separate but equal” zone where there’s no discrimination so long as some form of bathroom/water fountain is available to each race.
To advance the ball here, my definition of discrimination (for purposes of this discussion) is any limit placed on someone’s full enjoyment of a right or privilege based on an immutable characteristic.

So for example in the case of mixed race businesses, I find it laughable that someone who does not strike me as a complete idiot comes in here with a straight face saying it would not be discriminatory to prohibit a black (or female) person from going into business with Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, or any number of other billionaires in the US who are overwhelmingly white males.

Online Justwin

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

To advance the ball here, my definition of discrimination (for purposes of this discussion) is any limit placed on someone’s full enjoyment of a right or privilege based on an immutable characteristic.

So for example in the case of mixed race businesses, I find it laughable that someone who does not strike me as a complete idiot comes in here with a straight face saying it would not be discriminatory to prohibit a black (or female) person from going into business with Jeff Bezos, Warren Buffet, Bill Gates, or any number of other billionaires in the US who are overwhelmingly white males.

It would also prevent a white person from going into business with Robert F. Smith, Oprah Winfrey or Michael Jordan. The last 14 words of your post are immaterial to me.

My definition of discrimination is if somebody else is allowed to do the behavior specified in the policy. If there was a law that said white people may not go into business with other races, that would be discriminatory.

Like I mentioned earlier, if I was a Supreme Court justice, I may very well find a law prohibiting mixed race business partnerships unconstitutional, but I would do so on First Amendment grounds rather than discrimination or Equal Protection Clause grounds.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2023, 01:28:36 PM by Justwin »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
That makes absolutely no sense. But whatever.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Mixed race partnerships?

It would also prevent a white person from going into business with Robert F. Smith, Oprah Winfrey or Michael Jordan. The last 14 words of your post are immaterial to me.

My definition of discrimination is if somebody else is allowed to do the behavior specified in the policy. If there was a law that said white people may not go into business with other races, that would be discriminatory.

Like I mentioned earlier, if I was a Supreme Court justice, I may very well find a law prohibiting mixed race business partnerships unconstitutional, but I would do so on First Amendment grounds rather than discrimination or Equal Protection Clause grounds.
So fair to say you think Brown v. Board of Education was incorrectly decided?

Not sure I actually need the clarification but if that’s your position I think we’ve established we’re too far apart to have a real debate here. We can set aside whether you think folks like Michael Jordan or Oprah Winfrey would have even a fraction of their current business power if they had been prevented from going into business with white people.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Zero chance he understood that
That sounds hypothetical