Author Topic: Is it fair for Transgenders to compete in sports as who they think they are? No  (Read 43239 times)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
In the future, if a statistic on any lgbt issue surprises me, I'll just keep it to myself.

Maybe you should ask yourself what mich and BAC were asking themselves: "Why does this surprise Dlew?"

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
In the future, if a statistic on any lgbt issue surprises me, I'll just keep it to myself.

Maybe you should ask yourself what mich and BAC were asking themselves: "Why does this surprise Dlew?"
thanks.  i'll meditate on that.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
I can’t help but notice your response was “THATS what you interpreted from what I said?” Rather than confirming or denying. It’s a pretty common tactic for people who try to avoid answering a question. But since we’re just putting all the cards on the table, was I accurate in my assessment? Do you think concerns about the safety and civil rights of the LGBTQ community are overblown? Are they in no more peril today than they were 10 years ago? Would you have any objection to the practice of making life as miserable as possible for those people being codified?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
I can’t help but notice your response was “THATS what you interpreted from what I said?” Rather than confirming or denying. It’s a pretty common tactic for people who try to avoid answering a question. But since we’re just putting all the cards on the table, was I accurate in my assessment? Do you think concerns about the safety and civil rights of the LGBTQ community are overblown? Are they in no more peril today than they were 10 years ago? Would you have any objection to the practice of making life as miserable as possible for those people being codified?
You don't get to call me a stupid bigot before asking what I think on the topic. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

FWIW, I don't think dlew deserves this. He's a thoughtful person.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Kind of a dickish response. I'm genuinely interested in your answer.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
You don't get to call me a stupid bigot before asking what I think on the topic.

Ok. So still not answering the question. Like I said, if I clocked you wrong then I offer you my sincerest apology.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

Why would this hypothetical future statistic would surprise me?  Because for decades gay marriage sentiment has been growing in the US.  Maybe it will plateau or reverse course in light of the current rhetoric, but it's a pretty established trend, so I don't think it's necessarily likely, let alone a given.  If you guys think it's a stone-cold given, that's fine too.  You could be right. It was just an off-hand comment.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile

FWIW, I don't think dlew deserves this. He's a thoughtful person.

I know he’s a thoughtful person. Most of the stuff he posts I find agreeable/entertaining. However, it would appear we are diametrically opposed when it comes to the topic of whether or not it’s okay to legislate a group of people out of existence just because I disagree with how they want to exist on this planet. Or at least I suspect we are diametrically opposed. For whatever reason he will neither confirm nor deny.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Why would this hypothetical future statistic would surprise me?  Because for decades gay marriage sentiment has been growing in the US.  Maybe it will plateau or reverse course in light of the current rhetoric, but it's a pretty established trend, so I don't think it's necessarily likely, let alone a given.  If you guys think it's a stone-cold given, that's fine too.  You could be right. It was just an off-hand comment.

Do you remember anyone calling a gay teacher a groomer sooner than like, last year? Do you remember someone boycotting any brands, much less multiple for selling pride merchandise? Have leading political candidates ran with anti-LGBTQ measures as a top policy priority since W?

Things are changing

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
I am pro-dlew posting his thoughts so stop being a weirdo to him
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I am pro-dlew posting his thoughts so stop being a weirdo to him

You need to @ people, because I've attempted to be nothing but civil.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
@bac
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

Do you remember anyone calling a gay teacher a groomer sooner than like, last year? Do you remember someone boycotting any brands, much less multiple for selling pride merchandise? Have leading political candidates ran with anti-LGBTQ measures as a top policy priority since W?

Things are changing
Nope.  Nonetheless, I think homophobia has existed for a long time both in the political and non-political realms.  Maybe this new, more aggressive flavor (which I think is mostly directed towards trans issues) will resonate w/r/t gay marriage, but I just think that’s something so firmly entrenched at this point that when people get going on the GROOMER! tirades, they’re not really considering gay marriage.

Again, could definitely be wrong here.  We’ll see eventually.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
By analogy, if you look at the trends of interracial marriage approval, it has steadily risen since 1993 (when it was at about 50 percent :surprised: ), notwithstanding the emergence of a lot of the white nationalist rhetoric during and in the wake of Trump.  I just  think that rhetoric like that (even awful rhetoric) doesn’t necessarily equate to “they shouldn’t get married!”

Disclaimer: none of this is to say I approve of the rhetoric.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 06:58:34 PM by DQ12 »

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We have a sitting SCOTUS Justice who wrote in a concurring opinion to Dobbs that he wants to do away with Constitutional protections for gay people to marry or even to have gay sex in the privacy of their homes. Granted, he was silent on the question of interracial marriage.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
We have a sitting SCOTUS Justice who wrote in a concurring opinion to Dobbs that he wants to do away with Constitutional protections for gay people to marry or even to have gay sex in the privacy of their homes. Granted, he was silent on the question of interracial marriage.
I’m not sure Thomas’s concurrences are an accurate barometer of public sentiment.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I’m not sure Thomas’s concurrences are an accurate barometer of public sentiment.

I saw the quick edit  :Carl:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile

I saw the quick edit  :Carl:
:shakesfist:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
LGBTQ stuff is getting used as a wedge issue by Republicans for a reason. This thread is great example why.

It's also a key part of the bigger fight to reinstate the right to legally discriminate, which I see at the ultimate goal of many on the right.

Online BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
@bac

Hey man people can say and feel whatever they want. I was just expressing that I strongly disagree with that particular sentiment. I’m not PIing anyone.

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
All in all, this dust-up wasn't so bad. Could you imagine how things would have gone in this episode if Wacky were around?
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 09:22:23 PM by Spracne »

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
LGBTQ stuff is getting used as a wedge issue by Republicans for a reason. This thread is great example why.

It's also a key part of the bigger fight to reinstate the right to legally discriminate, which I see at the ultimate goal of many on the right.
Agree on all of this

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
@bac

Hey man people can say and feel whatever they want. I was just expressing that I strongly disagree with that particular sentiment. I’m not PIing anyone.

You know what I always say, "stop pv$$y footing around"