Author Topic: Is it fair for Transgenders to compete in sports as who they think they are? No  (Read 42421 times)

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I'm confused on how "save women's sports" leads to eradication.

IMO, "save women's sports" doesn't lead to eradication rather it leads to further marginalization. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution, but I cannot accept barring people from competition due to their identity.

Nobody is being barred from competition due to their identity. Everyone has the option to compete in a sport regardless of their identity.

Poor wording perhaps. "How they choose to identify."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
just when i think that fentynol will take over as the #1 boogieman for the MAGA, this topic keeps fighting back.

From a member of a movement who coined the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy and today quite literally meltsdown at even the slightest whiff of a challenge to the #blueanon dogma.   :thumbsup:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile

IMO, "save women's sports" doesn't lead to eradication rather it leads to further marginalization. Unfortunately, there's no perfect solution, but I cannot accept barring people from competition due to their identity.
I don’t think they would say it is identify that’s the problem, I think they would say it’s the big muscles and longer limbs and stuff, wouldn’t they?
if that's the criteria then i think they would have to set limits for all sports. Oh i'm sorry you're 6'7" that's too tall to play highschool basketball. Your wingspan is 6'6" fingertip to fingertip, you cannot be on the highschool swimming team.
Actually, that seems like a great solution.  Like a 6 foot and under league. 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
It's a great wedge issue I'll tell you that

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
However, as European American man who is under 6 feet but taller than Tom Cruise, I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for the folks who complain about unfairness due to others having more physical gifts.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
just when i think that fentynol will take over as the #1 boogieman for the MAGA, this topic keeps fighting back.

From a member of a movement who coined the Vast Right Wing Conspiracy and today quite literally meltsdown at even the slightest whiff of a challenge to the #blueanon dogma.   :thumbsup:

Show us on a doll where the transgendered person touched you, Dax

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
However, as European American man who is under 6 feet but taller than Tom Cruise, I don’t have a whole lot of sympathy for the folks who complain about unfairness due to others having more physical gifts.

pete i bet you and i would absolute wreck shop in basketball if not for the 'clams of the world just swatting every layup back in our faces despite the fact that we otherwise executed that layup with impeccable fundamentals. Like i used my body and my angle of attack to put maximal distance between the ball and the defender he should not be allowed (or physically capable, if i'm being honest) to swat that beauty out of the air midflight. like are we playing basketball or barbarianball?

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile
like i don't think Doctor James Tiberius Naismith envisioned any result other than a sweet kiss off the glass and 2 points for the good guys when describing the above scenario and honestly he would probably roll over in his grave if he knew how badly it has been bastardized.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

pete i bet you and i would absolute wreck shop in basketball if not for the 'clams of the world just swatting every layup back in our faces despite the fact that we otherwise executed that layup with impeccable fundamentals. Like i used my body and my angle of attack to put maximal distance between the ball and the defender he should not be allowed (or physically capable, if i'm being honest) to swat that beauty out of the air midflight. like are we playing basketball or barbarianball?
When I play against people who are shorter than me I usually win.  When they are shorter, slower, and can’t jump as high, I dominate. DOMINATE!

Offline BIG APPLE CAT

• smelly poor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • slide rule enthusiast
    • View Profile

When I play against people who are shorter than me I usually win.  When they are shorter, slower, and can’t jump as high, I dominate. DOMINATE!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

It's a step towards saying they should not exist as they are in society. It leads to letting them use the bathroom of their gender. It leads to denying trans kids health care, trans adults health care, etc. Who knows where it goes if these monsters keep moving the direction they're in.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 11:42:13 AM by michigancat »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I just want us all to be buds.
    • View Profile
We're pretty far apart @michigancat, but I'm curious if you see any scenario in our society where people should be segregated by sex or sex assigned at birth or whatever, instead of gender identity.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

It's a step towards saying they should not exist as they are in society. It leads to letting them use the bathroom of their gender. It leads to denying trans kids health care, trans adults health care, etc. Who knows where it goes if these monsters keep moving the direction they're in.

This feels a bit like "any gun control law will lead to them rounding up our guns!"

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile

This feels a bit like "any gun control law will lead to them rounding up our guns!"

You mean one of the most successful marketing ploys of all time? Seems like it's been incredibly effective.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

But what if it's just saying they shouldn't compete against biological women in sports?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
We're pretty far apart @michigancat, but I'm curious if you see any scenario in our society where people should be segregated by sex or sex assigned at birth or whatever, instead of gender identity.

Yes, there are plenty of scenarios where this makes sense or is necessary. What do you think of this scenario?

a compromise that would outright ban trans women who’ve gone through a testosterone-driven puberty from competing in college, professional, and Olympic sports in exchange for social acceptance and legal protections in education, employment, housing, public accommodations, health care, etc. for trans people

https://www.readtpa.com/p/lia-thomas-transgender-athletes

It might be! FWIW I would trade any gun control law for protection of trans rights (similar to the above scenario).

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

But what if it's just saying they shouldn't compete against biological women in sports?

that's a cute scenario except after the bills banning trans girls in sports passed, the bills banning trans health care started. And now you have people saying they just shouldn't exist at all at the leading republican conference.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2023, 12:26:38 PM by michigancat »

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Yes, there are plenty of scenarios where this makes sense or is necessary. What do you think of this scenario?

a compromise that would outright ban trans women who’ve gone through a testosterone-driven puberty from competing in college, professional, and Olympic sports in exchange for social acceptance and legal protections in education, employment, housing, public accommodations, health care, etc. for trans people

https://www.readtpa.com/p/lia-thomas-transgender-athletes

It might be! FWIW I would trade any gun control law for protection of trans rights (similar to the above scenario).

Let me read that article and get back to you.

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

that's a cute scenario except after the bills banning trans girls in sports passed, the bills banning trans health care started. And now you have people saying they just shouldn't exist at the leading republican conference.

Are you talking about regulations on 'gender-affirming care' for minors? Seems misleading to call that 'banning trans health care'.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think sports leagues should be able to set the requirements for who can and cannot compete in men's and women's sports. I don't understand all of the small government people getting up in arms with the government over a trans swimmer instead of boycotting the NCAA until the rules change.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think sports leagues should be able to set the requirements for who can and cannot compete in men's and women's sports. I don't understand all of the small government people getting up in arms with the government over a trans swimmer instead of boycotting the NCAA until the rules change.

By that argument you could say "the government shouldn't have imposed Title IX on colleges"

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The save women's sports movement isn't the least bit about women's sports. How many of the people spouting that nonsense have ever verbally supported title ix? crap, most in the save women's sports movement would advocate to abolish title ix. The republican governor of Utah should have killed that talking point and movement forever, but the advocates of it don't a holy crap about women, just trans people.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

The save women's sports movement isn't the least bit about women's sports. How many of the people spouting that nonsense have ever verbally supported title ix? crap, most in the save women's sports movement would advocate to abolish title ix. The republican governor of Utah should have killed that talking point and movement forever, but the advocates of it don't a holy crap about women, just trans people.

I betcha there are quite a few who are scared their daughter will not land a softball scholarship to a local juco, etc.  That's not an excuse for their behavior (or even reasonable), but it's an explanation for some of their behavior.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
I think civil rights supporters should stop allowing these people to give the appearance that trans girls participating in sports is an issue worthy of the attention it's getting. 0.6% of America's population identifies as trans, of that 0.6% only 12% of trans girls/women participate in sports and not all of those are girls participating in organized sports.

We know this conversation is not one being had in good faith, and continually giving it oxygen, as if we're going to change the mind of bigots, does nothing more than continue to victimize the girls that advocate want to protect. I'm done giving these people what they want by providing distractions and continuing to victimize girls in this country.

Offline Cartierfor3

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

you're projecting a pretty sinister hidden agenda