Author Topic: Warm up the search firm  (Read 1626 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Warm up the search firm
« on: February 23, 2017, 11:25:32 AM »
Since the last time KSU hired a basketball coach our AD basically hired his buddy's search firm for $50,000 who then dipped into their list of 3rd tier options and then sent in Gene Keady to 4D chess the decision, I think we need to compile a list of the best search firms because they will be the one spoon feeding the options to management.

I am also considering that Some of us start our own.  Do some flashy stuff to baffle Currie, then give him a list of our liking.

I may dress up like Jerry McGuire and do some "show me the money" stuff

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
Re: Warm up the search firm
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2017, 11:34:04 AM »
Funny you bring this up.  I actually started my search firm side entity, Coach Opening at Wildcat State LLC, just last week.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2017, 01:26:12 PM »
Looking for a coaching search service in Pratt, anyone have recommendations?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2017, 01:41:52 PM »
I've got one word for Currie

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2017, 04:00:27 PM »
Here is a scenario.  K-State wins 2 out of the next 3 games, win their first game in the tournament but loses to KU or Baylor in the 2nd round.  They are invited to the NCAA tournament where they lose in the open round or maybe get eliminated in the 2nd round.  Does Currie justify that as progress?  It was over any other year. 

Another scenario.  K-State loses 2 of their last 3 and does not get a NCAA bid, but does get invited to the NIT where they do well going all the way to Madison Square Garden.  Does Currie consider that progress?

Neither of those scenarios are unrealistic with the schedule remaining.  An I think Currie will consider ANY post season invite as progress, which may justify Weber returning next year.  Just a thought.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2017, 04:03:13 PM »
I sort of feel like an NIT bid isn't very probable, but maybe I'm wrong. I think if we lose 2 out of the next 3, we probably miss both tournaments.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2017, 04:05:30 PM »
I sort of feel like an NIT bid isn't very probable, but maybe I'm wrong. I think if we lose 2 out of the next 3, we probably miss both tournaments.
with the 97 team NCAA the nit has to take teams like us.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2017, 04:08:20 PM »
My test is generally that if a team would be very disappointed with an NIT bid, they have a decent shot of ending up there. It's hard to evaluate this team because in their current position, they should probably be disappointed with an NIT bid, but I feel like oscar would be very happy to get one.

Offline Pett

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • KLI GOD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2017, 04:13:43 PM »

Offline Functianalyst

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2017, 04:56:41 PM »
My test is generally that if a team would be very disappointed with an NIT bid, they have a decent shot of ending up there. It's hard to evaluate this team because in their current position, they should probably be disappointed with an NIT bid, but I feel like oscar would be very happy to get one.
I would agree, but I think Westicles and D.J. would be just as happy since they have yet to go to a tournament as upperclassmen.  This is just as much about their legacy as well. 

I think the person who will be happiest is Currie.  I don't think he is afraid of pulling the trigger but he is responsible for Weber being at K-State.  This is a losing situation for him, since it could question his ability to assess talent as well. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2017, 05:24:46 PM »
Here is a scenario.  K-State wins 2 out of the next 3 games, win their first game in the tournament but loses to KU or Baylor in the 2nd round.  They are invited to the NCAA tournament where they lose in the open round or maybe get eliminated in the 2nd round.  Does Currie justify that as progress?  It was over any other year. 

Another scenario.  K-State loses 2 of their last 3 and does not get a NCAA bid, but does get invited to the NIT where they do well going all the way to Madison Square Garden.  Does Currie consider that progress?

Neither of those scenarios are unrealistic with the schedule remaining.  An I think Currie will consider ANY post season invite as progress, which may justify Weber returning next year.  Just a thought.

Scenario one is what I broached last week. At this point I think it's 50/50 that he keeps his job, less the odds that he stays here next year, regardless.

The performance in the NIT will in no way be used to evaluate whether he stays or not, so your second scenario is sort of built on a false premise.