Author Topic: Ahearn Fund  (Read 4230 times)

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ahearn Fund
« on: February 15, 2017, 08:34:09 PM »
About 1-2 times a year I get bugged from people who are in town and want to tell me about what is going on in K-State athletics.  Does anyone actually meet with these people?  Is it the complete waste of time I think it is?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Ahearn Fund
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2017, 08:14:10 AM »
i can't imagine anything good could come of actually meeting with them, but maybe im a cynic.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2017, 08:15:54 AM »
You should go to the meeting and then give us all the details on whatever pyramid scheme it is they are trying to sell you on.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2017, 10:15:39 AM »
I'm meeting with them next month, I can't imagine any harm coming from it.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2017, 10:32:15 AM »
About 1-2 times a year I get bugged from people who are in town and want to tell me about what is going on in K-State athletics.

Like at your door?  Or are they calling you to announce they'll be in your town in a few weeks?

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ahearn Fund
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2017, 10:38:10 AM »
About 1-2 times a year I get bugged from people who are in town and want to tell me about what is going on in K-State athletics.

Like at your door?  Or are they calling you to announce they'll be in your town in a few weeks?

The latter. Calling/emailing mostly asking if there is any time like breakfast lunch dinner, whatever. I should probably just go ahead and see what the deal is, I'm just 99% sure it's going to be nothing but a long winded way of asking for more money. Maybe free lunch though!

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2017, 10:41:58 AM »
add this to the people that answer unknown numbers thread.. weirdos

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2017, 11:22:42 AM »
It's weird for a university to meet with its donors? Catastrophe is making a bigger deal out of this than it is. They will be meeting with multiple donors up here in the Des Moines area around the time they'll be meeting with me.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2017, 11:29:14 AM »
I'm not trying to make a big deal out of it. I just wanted to know if anyone has met with them before and whether it is worthwhile at all to do so.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2017, 11:30:52 AM »
I really hate small talk is what I'm saying.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Ahearn Fund
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2017, 11:32:21 AM »
On the other hand, if they meet with a bunch of people like me who seem disappointed in the bball program or whatever, is there any chance that gets back to ADJC or do they only care about the really big fish?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 17, 2017, 11:32:36 AM »
No, its weird to answer the phone if you don't like getting bugged

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2017, 11:33:40 AM »
No, its weird to answer the phone if you don't like getting bugged

I don't actually. I read my emails and listen to vm though.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2017, 11:51:01 AM »
I'd read #coverage of the meeting.  I'm curious if it's just some oblivious worker reading talking points from their website, emails and calls or if they know anything about you and what you care about ahead of time and speak to those things.  And even if they don't and you start talking about things they didn't want to talk about, if they're equipped to have the conversation.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 17, 2017, 04:19:38 PM »
I'll certainly post a recap but it won't be exciting. I'm not going to ambush a 25 year old woman driving nearly 300 miles to perform her job of meeting old people who give money to her alma mater.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 17, 2017, 05:31:12 PM »
I'll certainly post a recap but it won't be exciting. I'm not going to ambush a 25 year old woman driving nearly 300 miles to perform her job of meeting old people who give money to her alma mater.

See, that's what has me wondering what the point of these is for them.  Doesn't seem fiscally responsible at all if they're just gonna physically hand you brochures of the same junk they already email and mail everyone.  But if they're trying to have real conversations about what has you donating what you do now and not more and what would make you donate more, I'd be curious how those go.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 20, 2017, 08:08:01 AM »
they're just building/strengthening relationships, it's not rocket science

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 20, 2017, 12:17:34 PM »

The latter. Calling/emailing mostly asking if there is any time like breakfast lunch dinner, whatever. I should probably just go ahead and see what the deal is, I'm just 99% sure it's going to be nothing but a long winded way of asking for more money. Maybe free lunch though!

One of them met me at work. We talked for about 30 minutes about cat stuff. Didn't really ask for money, definitely as relationship builder. 90% of the convo was basically what is your favorite k-state memory, player, and sport, and what you'd like to see happen facilities-wise.

It was awkward that a young and low $ donor as myself would be sat down with someone from Ahearn, but pissclams is 100% on the
they're just building/strengthening relationships, it's not rocket science
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline TheHamburglar

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2017, 10:19:09 AM »
I'm probably just naive, but is there really that many people that donate more than the minimum required for this seats/parking?  I donate, but I think if it as nothing more than the cost of my tickets.
I got a guy on the other line about some white walls

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 01, 2017, 09:35:02 PM »
Figured I should probably update this for any interested.

I was pleasantly surprised.  Definitely a relationship-building aspect to it, some updates on new improvements, and some encouragement to keep donating, but also seemed sincerely interested in what I thought about how they were doing and (appropriately) plenty of discussion about the BBall team.  They were willing to give their own opinions about what the expectations of the program should be and were willing to say we weren't meeting them.  Also did not really shy away from suggesting that the last couple of games are pretty much make or break for oscar (with appropriate amount of vagueness and hedging of course).

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: March 01, 2017, 09:37:30 PM »
Figured I should probably update this for any interested.

I was pleasantly surprised.  Definitely a relationship-building aspect to it, some updates on new improvements, and some encouragement to keep donating, but also seemed sincerely interested in what I thought about how they were doing and (appropriately) plenty of discussion about the BBall team.  They were willing to give their own opinions about what the expectations of the program should be and were willing to say we weren't meeting them.  Also did not really shy away from suggesting that the last couple of games are pretty much make or break for oscar (with appropriate amount of vagueness and hedging of course).

Timing is unfortunate or you could have probably gotten them to reveal some shot about Currie.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 01, 2017, 09:46:14 PM »
Actually trying not to put in too many details at the risk of outing myself (I really do not doubt someone in their offices glances the message boards every so often), but there were a few things said that I know they would not have wanted me turning around and BBS-ing about.  Nothing that juicy, but they were more open then I would have expected.

Offline illBisonYourdele

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 01, 2017, 09:51:57 PM »
Actually trying not to put in too many details at the risk of outing myself (I really do not doubt someone in their offices glances the message boards every so often), but there were a few things said that I know they would not have wanted me turning around and BBS-ing about.  Nothing that juicy, but they were more open then I would have expected.

I was just about to ask if this was the source of every gpc hot bit of tid. I just imagine these entry level sales types telling you all the things you want to hear. Explains everything really.

Online catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 01, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »
I think there is definitely something to that. I get the impression some donors bug them a lot trying to stay in the loop. I'm sure they have some themes they need to stick to, but I did not get the impression there was any kind of script.