Author Topic: WiFi  (Read 6102 times)

The Big Train

Re: WiFi
« Reply #25 on: January 17, 2017, 08:11:16 AM »
My cable guy told me that the 5ghz is great if close to router, but not great further away compared to 2ghz.

I guess you could say that.  5ghz is the "sightline" band, as long as you can see the router it's pretty good.  It doesn't go through walls/obstacles well, however 2.4ghz does very well further away and through walls and stuff.

This is correct.  But it's a combination of alot of things.  Probably the best way to know for sure is to download a wifi analyzer app (Wifi Analyzer for Android or I believe Netspot for Macs)  and check the signal strength and channel association for both bands (2.4 and 5 Ghz)  That will tell you how well the signal is propagating through your home and give you a better idea of where you need to fill gaps.

WireShark is my personal favorite, plus you can use it for getting passwords on public wifi networks :D

Online steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 17, 2017, 08:51:47 AM »
GOGO inflight right now working great for once

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #27 on: January 17, 2017, 09:02:32 AM »
My cable guy told me that the 5ghz is great if close to router, but not great further away compared to 2ghz.

I guess you could say that.  5ghz is the "sightline" band, as long as you can see the router it's pretty good.  It doesn't go through walls/obstacles well, however 2.4ghz does very well further away and through walls and stuff.

This is correct.  But it's a combination of alot of things.  Probably the best way to know for sure is to download a wifi analyzer app (Wifi Analyzer for Android or I believe Netspot for Macs)  and check the signal strength and channel association for both bands (2.4 and 5 Ghz)  That will tell you how well the signal is propagating through your home and give you a better idea of where you need to fill gaps.

WireShark is my personal favorite, plus you can use it for getting passwords on public wifi networks :D

TBT out here trying to scare people.   :runaway: 

These days you aren't going to glean much in the way of passwords from an open network unless some poor soul is still using POP3 for email or they bank somewhere that doesn't use SSL (which is nowhere).  Now if you wanted to put up your own open network and setup a mock credentialed email or facebook portal to lure unsuspecting users to associate that would be a different beast altoghether.

I live in Wireshark, but in this case just a simple visual interface like Wifi Analyzer will go a long ways towards cleaning up a dirty wifi environment. 

The Big Train

« Reply #28 on: January 17, 2017, 09:21:30 AM »

TBT out here trying to scare people.   :runaway: 

These days you aren't going to glean much in the way of passwords from an open network unless some poor soul is still using POP3 for email or they bank somewhere that doesn't use SSL (which is nowhere).  Now if you wanted to put up your own open network and setup a mock credentialed email or facebook portal to lure unsuspecting users to associate that would be a different beast altoghether.

I live in Wireshark, but in this case just a simple visual interface like Wifi Analyzer will go a long ways towards cleaning up a dirty wifi environment.

Wasn't trying to scare anyone, if I wanted to do that I would run WireShark in a Kali Linux VM.  While also running the Social Engineering toolkit, Aircrack-ng, and Maltego.  That's another story tho.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #29 on: January 17, 2017, 11:47:55 AM »

This mess was my brother's apartment complex in Dallas.  Poor souls. 

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2017, 11:53:45 AM »
Those poor souls need to consolidate and share some WiFi among a few of them, safe money and free up some airwaves.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2017, 12:18:34 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:10 PM »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2017, 12:19:33 PM »
Good think I left 2.4. Eek

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2017, 05:52:42 PM »
I would personally go find those folks on channels 4,5,7,8 and 9 and punch them square in the face.  Just ruining life for everyone.

Sent from my SM-G928V using Tapatalk

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #35 on: January 19, 2017, 10:10:31 AM »

That screenshot above shows you still connected to 2.4.  If you want to make absolutely sure you should make sure the SSID for both radios is not identical.  Something like sundancekid 2.4 or sundancekid 5.

*actually nevermind.  I see the router appends the mac address of the radio in the SSID so it should look different.  But you are still connected to 2.4 in this screen capture.*
« Last Edit: January 19, 2017, 10:17:25 AM by hatingfrancis »

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 19, 2017, 12:16:54 PM »

That screenshot above shows you still connected to 2.4.  If you want to make absolutely sure you should make sure the SSID for both radios is not identical.  Something like sundancekid 2.4 or sundancekid 5.

*actually nevermind.  I see the router appends the mac address of the radio in the SSID so it should look different.  But you are still connected to 2.4 in this screen capture.*
I was an idiot and connected before I realized I didn't have to for the screen shot. I'm exclusively on 5 ghz now.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 09, 2017, 09:16:12 AM »
I don't know what any of this means, but I know the site has been loading slow on a Wi-Fi connection the last roughly 24 hours, and I've been connected at three different places.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
« Reply #38 on: February 09, 2017, 09:19:03 AM »
I don't know what any of this means, but I know the site has been loading slow on a Wi-Fi connection the last roughly 24 hours, and I've been connected at three different places.

Site loads fine for me.  Could be shitty wifi at all 3 locations.  Do they have anything in common? 

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 28, 2017, 07:47:47 PM »
It's being stressed
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite