Author Topic: Winning ugly, but not Smart; UT ADV  (Read 1818 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Winning ugly, but not Smart; UT ADV
« on: December 30, 2016, 10:22:03 PM »

1) Thank you Shaka Smart for not using your 1-3-1 the entire game. We had no answer for it, but after we did nothing against it the last 5ish minutes of the 1st half, Shaka decided to save it until about the 7 minute mark of the game when we were up by 12. I'm sure we'll see it in Austin.

2) Thank you Claws for showing up. Our SO guards combined to go 4/21 and 2/10. At least Stokes hit some FTs. Texas was long, but it was disappointing how few touches we were able to get DJamer around the rim, especially since he played 30 minutes.

Any Big 12 win is a good one, but UT is not a good team and one of the worst Big 12 shooting teams I've ever seen. If the Cats continue to regress to last year's shooting form, then .500 in the league is a dream.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
Re: Winning ugly, but not Smart; UT ADV
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2016, 10:28:11 PM »
I thought we played very crap-ely, and didn't enjoy how we went full "Snyder" on offense beginning at the 5 minute mark. Glad we won in spite of a very poor effort.

The officiating was atrocious. I can't believe it is that rough ridin' bad year in and year out. There is zero consistency, it's a literal mine field as to when a player will be called for a foul or travelling.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2016, 10:31:51 PM »
1) We won on a night where we didn't shoot well.....Barry-Kam-Sneed went 4-22 FGs and DJamer had 2 FGs
2) After we were down 11-4, our Defense really frustrated Texas.  They had 33 pts and 16 TOs in the next 51 Possessions (52-33 Ksu run)
3) I will keep preaching it, but FTs and FTR will be very important factor for us in B12 games. I said in earlier post, I believe our top 8 guys can be 75-76%.  We shot 79 tonight.
4) Little disappointing we let them score on last 7 Possessions to make a 12 pt lead a close win....but a Win is a Win. I will gladly take 10 more in B12 play

Offline schreds21

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2016, 10:54:03 PM »

1) Thank you Shaka Smart for not using your 1-3-1 the entire game. We had no answer for it, but after we did nothing against it the last 5ish minutes of the 1st half, Shaka decided to save it until about the 7 minute mark of the game when we were up by 12. I'm sure we'll see it in Austin.

And we will still have no answer for it

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2016, 11:09:24 PM »
I loooooove these postgame threads.   Other boards are hog grunt.  Thanks royals and posters.

Offline BostonPancake

• Katpak'r
  • I'm all about the T in TSC.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2016, 11:21:38 PM »
Pretty meh game.  Glad we won.  To lazy to look it up, but how many times do we start out a game shooting so poorly from three.  It feels like a lot.  I know Maryland was 1/9 and that's what we shot tonight in the first half.  Wish we could fix that.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2016, 11:22:43 PM »
Also, the crowd was very good. Much better than I anticipated.

And yeah, oscar taking the air out of the ball at the 5 min mark was also dumb.

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2016, 11:26:05 PM »
Just don't care anymore.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2016, 11:27:07 PM »
I'm happy this poor offensive performance didn't happen at home vs a Ku/Wv/Bay/Isu/Osu.  Let's hope when we play those teams, it isn't this bad

Texas may not be a good offensive team, but regardless of that, having them be at 0.75 PPP and at a 29 TO% with 3 minutes left in the game is a great sign for us. Barry was bad on O, but was great on D. I was also really happy how well Dean did on the defensive end.

The final 4-5minutes of "offense" wasn't effective. Let's hope oscar realizes that this strategy is not a good one for us

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2016, 11:51:57 PM »
1 thing I am a little concerned with...

Barry last 6 games--
10-33 2pt
8-28 3pt
10-20 FT
That's 36.1 eFG% and 50.0 FT%

Needs to get out of his shooting FUNK.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 31, 2016, 02:43:43 AM »
OK, a win is a win, especially when you manage not to lose a home game in this conference. That being said, this team needs to improve. But the realistic chances of a BruceImprove? I'm not optimistic, sad to say.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2016, 02:48:44 AM »
I'm happy this poor offensive performance didn't happen at home vs a Ku/Wv/Bay/Isu/Osu.  Let's hope when we play those teams, it isn't this bad

Texas may not be a good offensive team, but regardless of that, having them be at 0.75 PPP and at a 29 TO% with 3 minutes left in the game is a great sign for us. Barry was bad on O, but was great on D. I was also really happy how well Dean did on the defensive end.

The final 4-5minutes of "offense" wasn't effective. Let's hope oscar realizes that this strategy is not a good one for us

Up 10 you have to bleed the clock. Giving them good looks from the 3pt line late was frustrating. Defense was the issue late.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2016, 09:10:26 AM »
Still trying to figure out how the brucecats scraped out a conference win with zero bench points. Unheard of.

The Big Train

Winning ugly, but not Smart; UT ADV
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2016, 09:12:34 AM »
Because it was at home against the worst team in the big 12

Offline PIPE

• Katpak'r
  • Always a pessimist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2016, 10:54:15 AM »

Up 10 you have to bleed the clock. Giving them good looks from the 3pt line late was frustrating. Defense was the issue late.

You are absolutely wrong......You don't bleed the clock with 4-5 minutes to go.  That is playing too hang on and not lose.  With 2 minutes to go, sure.  He went to a stall game way too early and it almost bit us in the buttocks.  Awful coaching.
Awaiting the inevitable KITN

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2016, 11:25:45 AM »
This team always plays like they're trying to run down the clock on offense  so it was hard for me to see much of a difference

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2016, 11:52:58 AM »
Still trying to figure out how the brucecats scraped out a conference win with zero bench points. Unheard of.
Sneed didn't show up at all last night. That was surprising to me.

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2016, 01:08:32 PM »
bench only took 3 shots...it's not like they were bricking out there...and their D was key in the 1st half run...still, yeah depth...going to be interesting against WV

edit: props to the new s&c guy...stamina has been off the charts

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2016, 01:12:31 PM »
Sneed didn't show up at all last night. That was surprising to me.
He was only allowed to play 11 minutes