Author Topic: DJamer's Denver Domination; CSU ADV  (Read 5650 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
DJamer's Denver Domination; CSU ADV
« on: December 17, 2016, 04:34:45 PM »

Great offense from the Cats. Cats continue to shoot it and a very good oboarding 2nd half evens out a bad 1st. Plus a really low turnover rate.

DJamer is just a complete stud. Shooters continue to shoot. Stokes PG role continues to grow.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: DJamer's Denver Domination; CSU ADV
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2016, 04:43:27 PM »
I was nervous about this game.  It seemed like they played good team ball, man some good passing.  Oscar out coached Yewcrusty.  I agree Deathbite stokes is getting his bearings back as a pg.  His passes to DJamer are great.  Patrick, Hot Horndog, and Sneed gave valuable minutes.  Claws!!  Gardeners and steers sound like good victims to torture.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2016, 04:49:11 PM »
We were down 29-21 and scored 47 pts in the next 24 Possessions to take complete control of the game

Not only were we 18-20 FTs, we went 5-6 on our "And 1" 3pt plays, plus Sneed hit all 3 when he got fouled on 3pt shot

6 guys in double figures ... :Woot:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2016, 07:44:41 PM »
This team is fun to watch and I'm 100% all in. When we were down early I started thinking about how awesome DJamer has been and his career would be completely wasted. This team is 100% making the NCAA tournament. I will renew my objection about our big depth, we can't have Budke gunning threes in conference play, but if DJamer can stay healthy and play 33-35 min/g we're going to win 9-12 conference games.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2016, 08:05:13 PM »
This team is fun to watch and I'm 100% all in. When we were down early I started thinking about how awesome DJamer has been and his career would be completely wasted. This team is 100% making the NCAA tournament. I will renew my objection about our big depth, we can't have Budke gunning threes in conference play, but if DJamer can stay healthy and play 33-35 min/g we're going to win 9-12 conference games.
I just watched score updates today, but this makes me happy to hear from MIR.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2016, 08:54:07 PM »
Eh, this seems a but extreme. I stand by my statement that if the suspension forces oscar to play small more often it will be a positive for the team.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 17, 2016, 11:04:41 PM »
Eh, this seems a but extreme. I stand by my statement that if the suspension forces oscar to play small more often it will be a positive for the team.

It will help if Wade continues to rebound but DJamer is a legitimate rim protector that this, frankly any team, needs.

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2016, 12:04:28 AM »
3 of our games away from OOD, against BC, SLU and CSU...We pretty much beat down weaker teams in decent Conf.

Today, we scored  on 18 of 22 Poss at one point on our way to being over 1.30 PPP for the game. Against BC, we shot 86 eFG% the final 29 minutes. Against SLU, both halves were above 1.20 PPP.  Toss in those 3 teams only shot 42.4 eFG% against Us.

The Maryland loss still stings. Played so well in 2nd half of that one

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2016, 12:47:32 AM »
3 of our games away from OOD, against BC, SLU and CSU...We pretty much beat down weaker teams in decent Conf.

Today, we scored  on 18 of 22 Poss at one point on our way to being over 1.30 PPP for the game. Against BC, we shot 86 eFG% the final 29 minutes. Against SLU, both halves were above 1.20 PPP.  Toss in those 3 teams only shot 42.4 eFG% against Us.

The Maryland loss still stings. Played so well in 2nd half of that one

Defense hurt us in the Maryland game, how too many breakdowns. Having offensive success away from home is a good sign.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2016, 11:21:09 AM »

I agree. I won't argue that this OOC is awful, but K-State has dominated the bad and average teams on their schedule and they've played well away from home.

The shooting stats are legit by this point. Over 1/3 of the way through the season we are shooting over 40% from 3. 5 guys shoot 39% or better. Our worst shooter is at 33%. It is possible that the percentage will drop in Big 12 play because we'll be on the road more and we'll face better defenses overall (but not better "3PT defenses, that's just dumb), but this team has proven it can shoot and will shoot in the upper 30s in Big 12 play. Making shots in oscar's offense has proven to be the biggest indicator of success in his coaching career.

This team also does oscar/Lowry things well. Oboarding, forcing TOs, and a really good FG% defense. MIR is right about DJamer and the rim presence he brings as indicated by 2PT% and block%. Of course the much better offenses we will see in Big 12 play will change that a bit, but this will still be an above average Big 12 defense.

IMHO, 10 Big 12 wins should be the minimum expectation. Do that and we are a tourney lock because of the depth and strength of this league, regardless of one of the worst OOC schedules K-State has ever seen.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2016, 11:53:17 AM »
Over 1/3 of the way through the season we are shooting over 40% from 3. 5 guys shoot 39% or better. Our worst shooter is at 33%. It is possible that the percentage will drop in Big 12 play because we'll be on the road more and we'll face better defenses overall (but not better "3PT defenses, that's just dumb), but this team has proven it can shoot and will shoot in the upper 30s in Big 12 play.

their team 3% will drop because most of them aren't this good of shooters.  i'll be surprised if wade, stokes and brown don't finish the year with lower %s than they have now.  stokes, i think can be a high 30s guy, brown and wade are mid 30s at best.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2016, 12:08:46 PM »
Over 1/3 of the way through the season we are shooting over 40% from 3. 5 guys shoot 39% or better. Our worst shooter is at 33%. It is possible that the percentage will drop in Big 12 play because we'll be on the road more and we'll face better defenses overall (but not better "3PT defenses, that's just dumb), but this team has proven it can shoot and will shoot in the upper 30s in Big 12 play.

their team 3% will drop because most of them aren't this good of shooters.  i'll be surprised if wade, stokes and brown don't finish the year with lower %s than they have now.  stokes, i think can be a high 30s guy, brown and wade are mid 30s at best.

Those aren't the two guys I'd bet against.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2016, 12:35:39 PM »

It will help if Wade continues to rebound but DJamer is a legitimate rim protector that this, frankly any team, needs.

I don't mean to be a hater since (as I was informed by the broadcast yesterday) he was headed for the Colorado School of Mines to play guard before the last minute switch, but Budke has an uncanny ability to be around rebounds but not actually grab them.  It's unlike anything I've seen.

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2016, 02:13:10 PM »
doesn't seem like we're on pace for 55% from 3, but the b12 is weird

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2016, 06:36:26 PM »
Impressive performance indeed, even with the crap OOC, this team has performed about as good as it can against most opponents. I'm not ready to claim we'll win 9 or 10 conference games yet -- still worried about our frontcourt depth, but the conference is not full of stud front lines, so who knows. Offensive spacing yesterday was really good and oscar does seem to be connected with this team more than in the past. I don't sense that the players look at oscar as a hack -- like some past rosters have.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 18, 2016, 07:01:10 PM »
By my warped brain figuring, Westicles and DJamer are the last players to have Frank on them.  Players who learned Frankways, especially toughness, took these two under their wings when they were newbies.  I see Gipness in DJamer.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2016, 07:46:23 PM »

Brown can be a really good shooter. Most guys improve in their 2nd year and over their career and he shot 34.5% in Big 12 play last year. He's now 35% for his career. I think he'll finish in the upper 30s this year.

Stokes was 36% in 8 conference games, 34% for the year, and now 36% for his career. I think he and Brown will be about the same for their careers.

Wade is a wildcard. I doubt he'll continue at this 45% pace, but he's better than the 28% he shot last year (21% in Big 12). Maybe he's having his Shane Southwell outlier year. We'll see, but I'd guess he'll finish the year in the mid to low 30s and shoot around 30% in Big 12.

Westicles is another bit of a wildcard. He's at a respectable 33% and last year's 20% was his worst. He's right at 30% for his career.

I think Sneed is a legit shooter, but he probably hits a freshman funk at some point and likely won't stay at 41%. I'd say mid 30s is attainable.

Ervin is kind of the Martavious of this team. He hasn't shot a lot, but 40% is nice after 17% last year. Probably finish around 30% or so I'd guess.

I think this team is more than capable of 36-38% for the year and 33-35% through Big 12 play minimum.

Offline SuperG

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2016, 10:53:58 PM »
I was at the game yesterday and was hoping to watch a replay of the game broadcast but am failing to find it at the usual spots. Does anybody know where I might be able to stream a replay?

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2016, 12:55:27 AM »

Brown can be a really good shooter. Most guys improve in their 2nd year and over their career and he shot 34.5% in Big 12 play last year. He's now 35% for his career. I think he'll finish in the upper 30s this year.

Stokes was 36% in 8 conference games, 34% for the year, and now 36% for his career. I think he and Brown will be about the same for their careers.

Wade is a wildcard. I doubt he'll continue at this 45% pace, but he's better than the 28% he shot last year (21% in Big 12). Maybe he's having his Shane Southwell outlier year. We'll see, but I'd guess he'll finish the year in the mid to low 30s and shoot around 30% in Big 12.

Westicles is another bit of a wildcard. He's at a respectable 33% and last year's 20% was his worst. He's right at 30% for his career.

I think Sneed is a legit shooter, but he probably hits a freshman funk at some point and likely won't stay at 41%. I'd say mid 30s is attainable.

Ervin is kind of the Martavious of this team. He hasn't shot a lot, but 40% is nice after 17% last year. Probably finish around 30% or so I'd guess.

I think this team is more than capable of 36-38% for the year and 33-35% through Big 12 play minimum.

I would doubt we would regress that far. Under Weber we usually shoot better in conference play. Staff also wants to get Patrick more involved and the school break is a good time to get him up to speed.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 20, 2016, 12:13:48 AM »
if they've improved as shooters, why isn't it showing up in their ft%?

if someone wants to dig up their hs numbers, that'd help a lot.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 20, 2016, 04:12:42 PM »
If we can get Barry & Kam (36-61 combined) to be better FT shooters, then I will feel better. Some of Barry's misses have been bricks. Troublesome that these two are 60% and not 75-80.
Sneed, Wes, and DJamer have been pretty consistent all year. Those 3 are at 76.5%.
Dean started out bad, but has now made 15 of last 19. 

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #21 on: December 20, 2016, 11:00:00 PM »

That's like asking "if Phil Mickelson is so good at golf why isn't he making his putts?"
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 21, 2016, 12:51:23 AM »

That's like asking "if Phil Mickelson is so good at golf why isn't he making his putts?"

no it's not.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 21, 2016, 07:03:16 AM »

no it's not.
My question is.does.he golf.hard?

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 21, 2016, 10:48:31 AM »

I'd say sample size as much as anything. Neither Brown nor Stokes are high FT rate guys and will both have twice as many 3PT attempts as FT attempts. Stokes was a 72% shooter from the FT line last year while going from 34% to 41% from 3. I'd say his 56% FT% this year is an anomoly. Brown is at 61% FT%, down slightly from 64% with the improvement in 3PT%. For both, I think their FT% will settle around 70% in Big 12 play. Westicles has made steady improvements in FT% while being a decent FT rate guy (his %shots is up this year though). I think lower 30s from 3 makes sense. Wade is more of a strange case and I don't think his 46% from 3 is sustainable, but he's still a good enough shooter to be effective. Sneed appears to just be a good shooter with 80% FT and 41% 3PT. Ervin isn't going to shoot a lot, so I think his numbers have a minimal effect.

I get the point correlating FT% to 3PT% and shooting ability, but I don't think its always going to be a solid correlation. I see that we've got 3 guys that have over 40 attempts each (nearly 4 attempts per game each) and all are shooting 39% or better. To me that shows we have multiple good shooters and the shooting for this team will be sustainable because you have to guard us on the perimeter and in the post because DJamer has become so effective scoring inside.