Author Topic: The Official (or Unoffical) 2016 Texas Bowl Thread  (Read 16564 times)

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
The Official (or Unoffical) 2016 Texas Bowl Thread
« on: December 05, 2016, 02:54:31 AM »
ITT please post your true feelings about our Cats playing in the 2016 Texas Bowl. As far as I'm concerned, I'm glad we're in a bowl. I think we'll beat aTm. The extra practices will be beneficial. I'll probably go, despite the fact I'm not a big fan of Houston. And the game's website is garbage. Also, Texas Bowl gear is generally inferior to many other bowls.

All that said, let's go get that 9th win. And hope that a couple of assistant coaches retire after the game.  :ksu:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: The Official (or Unoffical) 2016 Texas Bowl Thread
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2016, 09:32:11 AM »
I probably won't go, but I hope a lot of people in purple do. The practice will help for next year but if Bill's history tells us anything, we lose the game.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2016, 02:25:49 AM »
I probably won't go, but I hope a lot of people in purple do. The practice will help for next year but if Bill's history tells us anything, we lose the game.

You could very well be correct. Bill admitted long ago that the extra practices brought on by bowl games focus on preparing younger players for the next season, although the starters still get plenty of reps. He's all about putting greater emphasis on regular season games than on the bowl games.

Offline Poster formerly known as jthutch

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2016, 10:16:41 AM »
I will be in Leawood, at the in laws, for our Christmas on the 28th.  Does anyone have a suggestion of where I can go to watch the game?  I don't like watching KSU football with the in laws none of them are Cats fans and the brother-in-law is a KU grad so will probably have to listen to basketball talk the whole time.  :frown:  Any good watch parties in the Metro area?

Offline Mikeyis4dcats

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • pogonophobia: n. a fear of beards
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2016, 10:18:30 AM »
glad we're in a bowl, but sick of the Texas Bowl.   I miss the Holiday Bowl.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2016, 10:22:41 AM »
This is the second time Kansas State has ever played in the Texas Bowl. The last time was 10 years ago.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2016, 10:24:34 AM »
Which was actually the first ever Texas Bowl IIRC.

Offline deputy dawg

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Wait, wait....what?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2016, 10:29:19 AM »
My buddy has a high-end 4k TV, so will probably try to watch it with him.  He's a KU football fan, but will indulge in 'Cat bowl games.  The last time K-State was in the Texas Bowl, I went over to his house to watch the game, and he had a bunch of Scarlet Knights gear on display.... :shakesfist:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2016, 10:32:08 AM »
I really want to beat A&M. If we lose, it's going to be tough to swallow. I also don't have much interest in going to Houston, so I'll watch from home.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2016, 02:50:24 PM »

You could very well be correct. Bill admitted long ago that the extra practices brought on by bowl games focus on preparing younger players for the next season, although the starters still get plenty of reps. He's all about putting greater emphasis on regular season games than on the bowl games.

Being a young team, wouldn't a lot of those "prepare for next season" reps go to starters? :dunno:

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2016, 05:48:45 PM »
I will be in Leawood, at the in laws, for our Christmas on the 28th.  Does anyone have a suggestion of where I can go to watch the game?  I don't like watching KSU football with the in laws none of them are Cats fans and the brother-in-law is a KU grad so will probably have to listen to basketball talk the whole time.  :frown:  Any good watch parties in the Metro area?

I know at Tanners off Metcalf and 142nd street is pretty good.

I recall there was a watch party in the Metro area, but for the life of me, I can't remember what's it called.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2016, 06:23:23 PM »
I'm trying to swindle my parents to come down to Austin after Christmas and then get them to come to the Texas bowl! Would be my first ever bowl game!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2016, 06:48:58 PM »
I really wish we played a better team than TexasAM so we could see how much Ertz has progressed with the extra practice and rest.

Offline BackPayne

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2016, 10:05:24 PM »

Being a young team, wouldn't a lot of those "prepare for next season" reps go to starters? :dunno:

I wish bowl games didn't count for those redshirting. I'd like to see Thompson sling the ball.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2016, 11:05:03 PM »

I wish bowl games didn't count for those redshirting. I'd like to see Thompson sling the ball.

This is the second post tonight I've seen referencing Thompson's throwing ability. You guys know something I don't?

Offline kim carnes

• chingon!
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2016, 11:58:36 PM »
Not saying it's impossible but it would be hard to be any worse than ertz

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2016, 08:30:48 AM »

This is the second post tonight I've seen referencing Thompson's throwing ability. You guys know something I don't?

I know it isn't against college players but spend some time here: https://www.hudl.com/profile/4398/skylar-thompson

I've also heard rumors about him being studly in practice.

Also, the winner of the Simone Award, designated for the top high school football player in the Kansas City area, after he made it to the Missouri Class 5 championship

Also, the Gatorade Missouri player of the year his senior year
« Last Edit: December 07, 2016, 08:34:27 AM by Yard Dog »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2016, 09:23:43 AM »
Yard dog, I know who Skylar Thompson is.

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2016, 01:10:01 PM »

That makes your question purposefully ignorant. If you know who he is, you know why any reasonable fan would enjoy seeing him play.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2016, 01:16:30 PM »
He's simply saying we don't know if that translates yet at this level, but yes, we're hearing great things.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2016, 01:32:30 PM »

That makes your question purposefully ignorant. If you know who he is, you know why any reasonable fan would enjoy seeing him play.

What has happened to you?

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2016, 02:01:34 PM »
I like going to bowl games, and Houston is a doable drive, but a Wednesday night game between two holidays? Not very conducive to travel

Offline WildcatPower

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2016, 05:09:41 PM »
I like going to bowl games, and Houston is a doable drive, but a Wednesday night game between two holidays? Not very conducive to travel

Yea, plus we did go to San Antonio a while back, and Memphis last year, so we decided to not go. If this game was played in Dallas instead of Houston, then that's more doable for my family and I.

Besides, we're hopeful for a better bowl in 2017 and that's what we're setting our sights on.

Offline Winters

• The King of Real Zeal
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2016, 03:31:50 PM »
What kind of bowl memorabilia are we working with this year?
Best #heel and/or #babyface on this blogsite

If it were up to me, Wintz would be on a fan scholarship, full ride.

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2016, 04:02:29 PM »
What kind of bowl memorabilia are we working with this year?