Author Topic: Westicles shoot 3's; Hampton ADV  (Read 3999 times)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Westicles shoot 3's; Hampton ADV
« on: November 20, 2016, 08:34:50 PM »

The early returns show that shooting for this team may be much improved, but it still is very early. The 1st half featured very little defense by either side and fortunately K-State was on fire from 3. I will say I did appreciate a concerted effort to attack the paint, thus the impressive FT rate. Overall a pretty decent game against a not very good opponent.

I think Sneed can play and will be a legit contributor as a freshman. Throw in Westicles, Brown, Stokes, and the backcourt could be pretty decent. Frontcourt depth continues to be a concern, so DJamer and Wade probably have to carry the load. Our best lineup probably features plenty of minutes with Sneed at the 4.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
Re: Westicles shoot 3's; Hampton ADV
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2016, 08:54:41 PM »
So were going to win the Big12 right?

Offline Powercat Posse

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2016, 09:37:21 PM »
Yeah, just 3 games. But it feels good when your Main 8 players are 26-52 on 3pt & shooting 59.9 eFG%.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2016, 11:44:45 PM »
If we start playing better defense, which I think we will when competition picks up, we'll be a good team.  People should get on board and stop acting like d-bags.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2016, 06:13:53 AM »
No rim protector will catch us in the big 12

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2016, 08:05:42 AM »
If we start playing better defense, which I think we will when competition picks up, we'll be a good team.  People should get on board and stop acting like d-bags.

let me help you out.  it might not be until conference season but eventually we're going to start playing teams with a pulse.  they will play better perimeter defense on us and our shooting percentage will reflect that.  and our lack of quality post depth will be obvious and we will lose games.  it's called reality, get on board with that and don't call people d-bags, it's mean.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2016, 11:17:27 AM »
Do I expect us to shoot 55% from 3 on the season? Yes
Do I expect playing a smallish lineup will hurt us in the long run? Of course not.
Are the naysayers acting like d-bags? Absolutely

These are the days of our lives, ya know.

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2016, 11:46:49 AM »
Do I expect us to shoot 55% from 3 on the season? Yes
Do I expect playing a smallish lineup will hurt us in the long run? Of course not.
Are the naysayers acting like d-bags? Absolutely

These are the days of our lives, ya know.

lol

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2016, 12:52:49 PM »

oscar's Teams that have shot better than the national average from 3pt.

39.3 % 2005   (2) Illinois [1] Conference Champs
38.7 % 2011   (18) Illinois [9] 
38.7 % 2003   (56) Southern Illinois [11] Conference Champs
36.6 % 2002   (49) Southern Illinois [11] Conference Champs
36.1 % 2006   (8) Illinois [4]
35.8 % 2013     (27) Kansas St. [4] Conference Champs 
35.0 % 2009   (25) Illinois [5]
34.9 % 2007   (35)   Illinois [12]
34.9 % 2004   (13) Illinois [5] Conference Champs

(Kenpom) [NCAA SEED]

He is on his way to SLTH everyones asses off.

« Last Edit: November 22, 2016, 01:09:12 PM by Mixed-Nutz »

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2016, 12:58:47 PM »

Yep. I mentioned it sometime last year, but 3PT% is the stat that correlates to success more than any other for oscar teams.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2016, 01:15:51 PM »

Yep. I mentioned it sometime last year, but 3PT% is the stat that correlates to success more than any other for oscar teams.

It is scary how important it is. Very strong predictor.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2016, 01:17:51 PM »
i wonder how competent coaches will game plan for such a diverse offensive strategy.  no.  i don't because it's impossible to game plan for a one sided opponent.  because, no it's not really, just kidding.  when we're forced into a balanced game, we will get destroyed. 

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2016, 01:25:16 PM »
i wonder how competent coaches will game plan for such a diverse offensive strategy.  no.  i don't because it's impossible to game plan for a one sided opponent.  because, no it's not really, just kidding.  when we're forced into a balanced game, we will get destroyed. 

I think there is a little bit of that, but I didn't get the impression that opponents forced us to shoot a bunch of bad threes last year, we just sucked at making them. We shot a normal oscar amount of 3s and we were actually pretty good at oboarding and getting to the FT line. If this year's team can manage 33-35% from 3 they will be a tournament team.

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2016, 01:27:47 PM »

Yep, been saying this since the first exhibition game. We're not going to shoot unguarded 3 point set shots all season long. oscar's scheduling is cruel to our idiot fans and the players. Over the next month or so they'll start to believe we're/they're good at basketball, we're not.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2016, 01:32:09 PM »

Yep, been saying this since the first exhibition game. We're not going to shoot unguarded 3 point set shots all season long. oscar's scheduling is cruel to our idiot fans and the players. Over the next month or so they'll start to believe we're/they're good at basketball, we're not.

That could be likely, but its not like last year's OOC faced a juggernaut of defenses when we shot 28.5% from 3 before we faced a Big 12 opponent.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2016, 01:42:26 PM »

The fact he made the tournament 9 out 9 times his teams shot above the national average and is 2 for 7 when points to that isn't the case.

Also last years team shot better behind the arc in conference play. But that why would you not let them shoot, right!

Most nerds think 3pt shooting is like 80% offensive driven, 19% defensive driven and like 1% ball type or some bullshit like that. It is easier to chuck threes against a good defense than it is to score in the paint.

Online Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2016, 01:56:00 PM »

They get what they deserve.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2016, 02:19:30 PM »
Most nerds think 3pt shooting is like 80% offensive driven, 19% defensive driven and like 1% ball type or some bullshit like that. It is easier to chuck threes against a good defense than it is to score in the paint.

the nerd position is that defense alters the number of threes attempted, rather than the % shot on threes.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ksu101

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 22, 2016, 02:31:10 PM »

So it's cruel to schedule winnable games that build our players confidence? 

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 22, 2016, 02:35:44 PM »

the nerd position is that defense alters the number of threes attempted, rather than the % shot on threes.

3PTA and 3PT% are up across college basketball, maybe oscar will win the fool's gold lottery this year and ride the wave.

Its not crazy, he sort of did the same thing in his 6th year at Illinois. After a sub .500 year, he tied for 2nd in the Big 10 and got a 5 seed.

Granted, its tough to see who we are going to pass in this league. KU, ISU, Baylor, and OSU all definitely look better than us. We'll see on WVU. OU and UT took losses, but against decent opponents. Even beating Tech and TCU could be tough.

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2016, 02:54:23 PM »

(Kenpom) [NCAA SEED]

Look at all those conference champioships! :love:

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2016, 03:02:19 PM »

So it's cruel to schedule winnable games that build our players confidence? 

i can't remember what this forum used to be called but it was something along the lines of "not all wins are labeled with a w" and it was called that for a reason

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2016, 03:57:17 PM »

That could be likely, but its not like last year's OOC faced a juggernaut of defenses when we shot 28.5% from 3 before we faced a Big 12 opponent.

I think our players are much more comfortable this year, especially in the early going, I don't think that makes them appreciably better shooters. We'll see.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2016, 04:20:28 PM »
just removing edwards' and hurt's attempts (160ish) will make them better than last year.  if you believe in sneed as a shooter, you can maybe replace those with 100 attempts at .400 or 200 at .350 (unlikely, but foster got off 200 as a freshman).  the others have track records.  iwu and wade arguably underperformed their true shooting talent last year, but they aren't great shooters.  brown and stokes are ok.

2-4 decent shooters and 1 possibly good shooter.  they should be a better 3 shooting team than last year, maybe up to around an average 3 shooting team.  at the very least they can put four credible shooters on the floor whenever they want, and that's always good.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2016, 06:05:06 PM »
just removing edwards' and hurt's attempts (160ish) will make them better than last year.  if you believe in sneed as a shooter, you can maybe replace those with 100 attempts at .400 or 200 at .350 (unlikely, but foster got off 200 as a freshman).  the others have track records.  iwu and wade arguably underperformed their true shooting talent last year, but they aren't great shooters.  brown and stokes are ok.

2-4 decent shooters and 1 possibly good shooter.  they should be a better 3 shooting team than last year, maybe up to around an average 3 shooting team.  at the very least they can put four credible shooters on the floor whenever they want, and that's always good.

you can't only adjust part of the offense by replacing gone players/adding new.  that's racist and you know it.

any argument about how this offense, in it's entirety, is better given the roster changes we've experienced is invalid