Author Topic: Silver linings  (Read 11597 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Silver linings
« Reply #50 on: November 09, 2016, 10:39:00 AM »
On the whole, the positives greatly outweigh the negative of a handful of more junkies

This is a shame to read and it comes from a position of extreme privilege.

That may be true, but it's a shame to read you fear mongering so heavily.

It's not fear mongering. I once had a job as what essentially amounted to what's known as a social worker. The organization I worked for had several apartments around Wichita, in those apartments lived young adults aged 16-23, they were either juvenile offenders or kids getting ready to age out of foster care. They were learning to live independently so that perhaps when they are released from state custody they can lead productive lives free of government assistance. 72% of those people were in some level of substance abuse treatment. Now this part is anecdotal, but it doesn't make it any less true; a great majority of them have stories stating that they started with alcohol and marijuana then moved on to other crap. I care more about people like this than I do people who want legalized weed to make it easier to toke up with their old college buddies while watching the game. You can think of it as fear mongering if you want but this is what informs me.

While not a significant dip and not a terribly large sample size:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/colorado-s-teen-marijuana-usage-dips-after-legalization/

I think the additional tax revenues and benefits of having more control over the market place outweigh the risks of it being more available to the general public.

FYI - We probably need a weed thread bumped at this point

Causation/correlation. There's nothing about legalizing marijuana that would reduce usage amongst any demographic.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 09, 2016, 10:54:01 AM »
Trump/Pence vs. Warren/Booker is going to be a f***ing riot in four years.

Booker has some stuff on his record that a person of color cannot overcome in a national election. I love Warren but she'll do nothing to bring back the people that the Democratic party has lost. I don't know where they can turn but if you're looking for a woman, root hard for Jennifer Grandholm.

Oooh also Tulsi Gabbard, I'm pretty sure even stunted and wacky would vote for her.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 09, 2016, 10:54:48 AM »
 :love: this thread

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 09, 2016, 10:57:02 AM »
Trump/Pence vs. Warren/Booker is going to be a f***ing riot in four years.

Booker has some stuff on his record that a person of color cannot overcome in a national election. I love Warren but she'll do nothing to bring back the people that the Democratic party has lost. I don't know where they can turn but if you're looking for a woman, root hard for Jennifer Grandholm.

Oooh also Tulsi Gabbard, I'm pretty sure even stunted and wacky would vote for her.
Confirmed :fatty:

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: November 09, 2016, 10:59:31 AM »
46?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 09, 2016, 11:05:15 AM »
Causation/correlation. There's nothing about legalizing marijuana that would reduce usage amongst any demographic.

I disagree.  By legalizing marijuana, the Colorado government has nearly killed the black market for the drug.  By nearly eliminating the black market in Colorado, they can more effectively control who buys it.  A pot dealer may not care if someone is 15 or 50, but the people in the pot shops certainly do.

Offline Shooter Jones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: November 09, 2016, 11:11:15 AM »
Go golf, MIR.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 09, 2016, 11:12:53 AM »

I disagree.  By legalizing marijuana, the Colorado government has nearly killed the black market for the drug.  By nearly eliminating the black market in Colorado, they can more effectively control who buys it.  A pot dealer may not care if someone is 15 or 50, but the people in the pot shops certainly do.

How does that kill the black market? I understand that would be the case for a suburbanite in Castle Rock, for a trust fund frat boy with a BMW at CU, and for someone living in gentrified LoDo; what about everyone else? You don't think there are dealers in Fountain/Ft. Carson selling weed for $3 less than they can get at the weed shop 15 minutes away? Again this issue is one of privilege and access, legal weed doesn't eliminate the dealer for everyone, just most that the decision makers care about and can relate to.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: November 09, 2016, 11:13:44 AM »
Go golf, MIR.

I want to but its only 43 degrees here right now.

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 09, 2016, 11:41:01 AM »

How does that kill the black market? I understand that would be the case for a suburbanite in Castle Rock, for a trust fund frat boy with a BMW at CU, and for someone living in gentrified LoDo; what about everyone else? You don't think there are dealers in Fountain/Ft. Carson selling weed for $3 less than they can get at the weed shop 15 minutes away? Again this issue is one of privilege and access, legal weed doesn't eliminate the dealer for everyone, just most that the decision makers care about and can relate to.

Disagree if you want, but that is the part of legalization that would help control access to minors.  There is certainly still a black and grey market but even if the study shows no increase in pot use which tells me we are better off saving money from fighting it and making tax money off of it.  The dealers no longer control the market making it less lucrative.

I'd agree with you if there were a study showing underage usage going down in the 'burbs and up in Ft Collins/Fountain or wherever.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2016, 11:45:43 AM »
The black market is now pushing legitimately dangerous drugs, like meth.  That's concerning.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2016, 11:46:55 AM »

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2016, 11:47:26 AM »
The black market didn't push meth before legal weed?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2016, 11:50:29 AM »
The black market is now pushing legitimately dangerous drugs, like meth.  That's concerning.

I've noted this before, but I read an article recently that noted docs in CO are significantly reducing the amount of opiod prescripts they are issuing because pot is available.  Opiod abuse is what is pushing up heroin abuse nationally.  In this example, legalized weed could help reduce heroin abuse. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2016, 11:51:14 AM »

When I bought some in Denver I would have been shocked to buy something cheaper on the street.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2016, 11:54:45 AM »

When I bought some in Denver I would have been shocked to buy something cheaper on the street.

Surprising to hear. I would have thought the markup is high to make up for the government cut.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2016, 11:55:02 AM »

Disagree if you want, but that is the part of legalization that would help control access to minors.  There is certainly still a black and grey market but even if the study shows no increase in pot use which tells me we are better off saving money from fighting it and making tax money off of it.  The dealers no longer control the market making it less lucrative.

I'd agree with you if there were a study showing underage usage going down in the 'burbs and up in Ft Collins/Fountain or wherever.
as a parent I find what I believe to be a huge increase in the access to edibles as a real negative to legalization

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: November 09, 2016, 11:56:46 AM »
The types of edibles can be a problem.  I mean, they shouldn't be making gummy bears and stuff like that. 

I really think it should be regulated better.  They can put it in a gel capsule pill with no candy-like appeal.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: November 09, 2016, 11:58:45 AM »
The types of edibles can be a problem.  I mean, they shouldn't be making gummy bears and stuff like that. 

I really think it should be regulated better.  They can put it in a gel capsule pill with no candy-like appeal.
but i really like the candy.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: November 09, 2016, 11:59:23 AM »

I've noted this before, but I read an article recently that noted docs in CO are significantly reducing the amount of opiod prescripts they are issuing because pot is available.  Opiod abuse is what is pushing up heroin abuse nationally.  In this example, legalized weed could help reduce heroin abuse.

I'm recalling a 60 Minutes thing from a ways back.  Meth and meth crime was up.  Could be changed by now tho.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: November 09, 2016, 12:00:40 PM »

I think he's concerned about pre-teens and teenagers, I don't think he's talking about 5 year olds, CNS. Cakes and brownies are what he's talking about man.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: November 09, 2016, 12:06:11 PM »

Then take the pill and go get your fav candy.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: November 09, 2016, 12:07:31 PM »
Back to Silver Linings.
https://twitter.com/EByard/status/796317753749729280

yep. old people (more racist/bigoted/uneducated) carried this election for the pubs. there will be less of them in four years cause death.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: November 09, 2016, 12:09:35 PM »
And Obamacare

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: November 09, 2016, 12:09:38 PM »

Then take the pill and go get your fav candy.
Fine. I'll compromise. :don'tcare: