Author Topic: Silver linings  (Read 11598 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Silver linings
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2016, 09:32:03 AM »
I think the crazy racisty people will chill a bit since the threat to the status quo won't be as eminent.

I took the day off to either hide from psycho angry trumpets or to play golf, if I can ever get off off this board I'm hitting the Callaways today.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 09, 2016, 09:36:51 AM »
Ftr I'm against kids smoking weed or drinking. I think legal weed is mostly less accessible to kids and safer for the population. On the whole, the positives greatly outweigh the negative of a handful of more junkies and I have no problem with a portion of tax money going to substance abuse programs.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 09, 2016, 09:41:43 AM »
On the whole, the positives greatly outweigh the negative of a handful of more junkies

This is a shame to read and it comes from a position of extreme privilege.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 09, 2016, 09:42:23 AM »
The privileged dopers can toke up in more places now. This will likely result in more teens being exposed to illicit drugs but this is the silver linings thread so warm up the apple bongs, crackers.

this is not a shot at you personally, just a general statement. maybe parents should actually parent, you know, have tough conversations their kids about moderation and personal responsibility. the substances aren't the issue, self control is.

Have you had any exposure to teens or young adults with substance abuse issues? My parents were great about talking to me about alcohol, tobacco, and drugs; I saw both of my grandfathers die early from alcoholism, didn't stop me from binge drinking in high school. Luckily, from the grace of God I didn't become an addict, my genetic makeup sure as hell didn't save me.

I've dealt with my own personal substance abuse issues since I was 13. We can offer anecdotal evidence at each other until we are blue in the face. It won't mean anything. There is a culture of fear that surrounds illicit substances. The substances aren't the issue, it's the lack of education about their real dangers and an inability of our society to produce emotionally stable and intelligent human beings.

if it isn't clear: I'm 100% against high school kids drinking alcohol, using tobacco, or any drug.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 09, 2016, 09:45:27 AM »
Exposed Christians for who they are. Won't vote for a mormon but the racist pussy grabb'r is cool
Looking like Romney garnered more votes than Trump fwiw. But proceed with whatever weird narrative this is.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline stunted

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2016, 09:48:53 AM »
Lib is doing it right and I'm kind of jealous that Clinton lost.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2016, 09:49:34 AM »
On the whole, the positives greatly outweigh the negative of a handful of more junkies

That may be true, but it's a shame to read you fear mongering so heavily.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 09, 2016, 09:53:14 AM »
Ftr I'm against kids smoking weed or drinking. I think legal weed is mostly less accessible to kids and safer for the population. On the whole, the positives greatly outweigh the negative of a handful of more junkies and I have no problem with a portion of tax money going to substance abuse programs.

If regulated by alcohol, I agree.  however, most of the recreational legal states are allowing it to be grown at home in small quantity.  Can you imagine if Busch Lite was grown by your dad in your back yard growing up?  Would seriously change crap.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: November 09, 2016, 09:54:34 AM »
Legalization is needed for the justice reform alone, imo.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2016, 09:55:20 AM »
Growing (quality) weed is more intensive than people think. It might be as popular as home brewing, but I doubt it.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2016, 09:56:42 AM »
The privileged dopers can toke up in more places now. This will likely result in more teens being exposed to illicit drugs but this is the silver linings thread so warm up the apple bongs, crackers.

this is not a shot at you personally, just a general statement. maybe parents should actually parent, you know, have tough conversations their kids about moderation and personal responsibility. the substances aren't the issue, self control is.

Have you had any exposure to teens or young adults with substance abuse issues? My parents were great about talking to me about alcohol, tobacco, and drugs; I saw both of my grandfathers die early from alcoholism, didn't stop me from binge drinking in high school. Luckily, from the grace of God I didn't become an addict, my genetic makeup sure as hell didn't save me.

I've dealt with my own personal substance abuse issues since I was 13. We can offer anecdotal evidence at each other until we are blue in the face. It won't mean anything. There is a culture of fear that surrounds illicit substances. The substances aren't the issue, it's the lack of education about their real dangers and an inability of our society to produce emotionally stable and intelligent human beings.

if it isn't clear: I'm 100% against high school kids drinking alcohol, using tobacco, or any drug.

Where are these societies worldwide that handle illicit substances well? Having a younger drinking age, societal indoctrination of alcohol, and liberal drug laws hasn't done much to quell addiction issues in Europe. This stuff is biological and I don't think it is a good idea to normalize mind altering substance use.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #36 on: November 09, 2016, 10:00:37 AM »
I am clinging to some quotes that he wants to focus the EPA on clean air and clean water.  I know you all think I'm an idiot for this, but I can stomach a lot if he will keep us in and follow the Paris Agreement.

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
« Reply #37 on: November 09, 2016, 10:01:21 AM »
Trump/Pence vs. Warren/Booker is going to be a f***ing riot in four years.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 09, 2016, 10:05:07 AM »
I just got in my time machine and went forward 4 yrs and Warren lost in a landslide. 

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 09, 2016, 10:07:01 AM »

It's not fear mongering. I once had a job as what essentially amounted to what's known as a social worker. The organization I worked for had several apartments around Wichita, in those apartments lived young adults aged 16-23, they were either juvenile offenders or kids getting ready to age out of foster care. They were learning to live independently so that perhaps when they are released from state custody they can lead productive lives free of government assistance. 72% of those people were in some level of substance abuse treatment. Now this part is anecdotal, but it doesn't make it any less true; a great majority of them have stories stating that they started with alcohol and marijuana then moved on to other crap. I care more about people like this than I do people who want legalized weed to make it easier to toke up with their old college buddies while watching the game. You can think of it as fear mongering if you want but this is what informs me.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 09, 2016, 10:08:44 AM »
Legalization is needed for the justice reform alone, imo.

There is absolutely no reason to tie these two things together. It is illegal for me to drive 45 mph in a 30, that won't get me thrown in jail.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 09, 2016, 10:14:08 AM »
I'm not arguing against the gateway theory. I just don't think you're going to see a dramatic rise in the number of those people you are talking about if weed is legal.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 09, 2016, 10:16:28 AM »

Booker has some stuff on his record that a person of color cannot overcome in a national election. I love Warren but she'll do nothing to bring back the people that the Democratic party has lost. I don't know where they can turn but if you're looking for a woman, root hard for Jennifer Grandholm.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: November 09, 2016, 10:18:16 AM »
I'm not arguing against the gateway theory. I just don't think you're going to see a dramatic rise in the number of those people you are talking about if weed is legal.

I didn't say anything about a dramatic rise, never did. I don't think open carry would result in a dramatic rise in people getting shot but I don't think it's a great idea.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 09, 2016, 10:18:33 AM »

Where are these societies worldwide that handle illicit substances well? Having a younger drinking age, societal indoctrination of alcohol, and liberal drug laws hasn't done much to quell addiction issues in Europe. This stuff is biological and I don't think it is a good idea to normalize mind altering substance use.

Where did I say there was a system in place that the United States should model itself after? There isn't, and I didn't say that there was. I agree with you about the potential dangers of abuse. A culture of prohibition and fear mongering doesn't promote a healthy understanding of any of these substances, though.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 09, 2016, 10:19:06 AM »

Booker has some stuff on his record that a person of color cannot overcome in a national election. I love Warren but she'll do nothing to bring back the people that the Democratic party has lost. I don't know where they can turn but if you're looking for a woman, root hard for Jennifer Grandholm.

What is the Booker stuff?

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 09, 2016, 10:22:16 AM »

It's not fear mongering. I once had a job as what essentially amounted to what's known as a social worker. The organization I worked for had several apartments around Wichita, in those apartments lived young adults aged 16-23, they were either juvenile offenders or kids getting ready to age out of foster care. They were learning to live independently so that perhaps when they are released from state custody they can lead productive lives free of government assistance. 72% of those people were in some level of substance abuse treatment. Now this part is anecdotal, but it doesn't make it any less true; a great majority of them have stories stating that they started with alcohol and marijuana then moved on to other crap. I care more about people like this than I do people who want legalized weed to make it easier to toke up with their old college buddies while watching the game. You can think of it as fear mongering if you want but this is what informs me.

While not a significant dip and not a terribly large sample size:

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/colorado-s-teen-marijuana-usage-dips-after-legalization/

I think the additional tax revenues and benefits of having more control over the market place outweigh the risks of it being more available to the general public.

FYI - We probably need a weed thread bumped at this point

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 09, 2016, 10:22:54 AM »
Markets are now green and look to go higher from here.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 09, 2016, 10:33:47 AM »

What is the Booker stuff?

http://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/07/cory-booker-hillary-clinton-veep-newark-214030

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 09, 2016, 10:37:42 AM »
Hillary Clinton might actually go to jail.