Author Topic: Silver linings  (Read 11725 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Silver linings
« Reply #125 on: November 10, 2016, 09:02:58 AM »
i'm glad that nate silver will be able to rub the noses of lesser modelers in this for another four years.  and i'll enjoy hearing people blame pollsters for their own stupidity in failing to understand the polls.

Silver was very wrong. He may be out of business.

He's not going to be anywhere close to out of business.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: November 10, 2016, 09:13:31 AM »
i'm glad that nate silver will be able to rub the noses of lesser modelers in this for another four years.  and i'll enjoy hearing people blame pollsters for their own stupidity in failing to understand the polls.

He'll keep his core pop science flock. But there's a good chance that ESPN won't be keeping 538. It's also possible that many casual visitors will be turned off by a perception that he was wrong.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: November 10, 2016, 09:59:30 AM »
Go look at the avg news political consultants right vs wrong record.  He's fine

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: November 10, 2016, 10:41:09 AM »
All of those big box stores are going to start saying Merry Christmas again.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: November 10, 2016, 10:54:21 AM »

He'll keep his core pop science flock. But there's a good chance that ESPN won't be keeping 538. It's also possible that many casual visitors will be turned off by a perception that he was wrong.

I mean statistical prediction and analysis isn't a business where you're going to hit 1.000, the base of 538 understands that, it isn't like they are relying on the info wars crowd to survive. It is also worth noting that it was literally impossible for them to call this one correctly.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: November 10, 2016, 02:14:55 PM »
reinforcing the idea that people with the least life experience make poor choices

Stunted, what do you think of Tulsi Gabbard? You down? She's young.

i think that is a really weird name.

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

I like Tulsi Gabbard but do you really think there would be any chance that the people who just voted for Trump would elect a Hindu?

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: November 10, 2016, 02:21:51 PM »
reinforcing the idea that people with the least life experience make poor choices

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

I like Tulsi Gabbard but do you really think there would be any chance that the people who just voted for Trump would elect a Hindu?

A lot of them will be dead in 4 years. :dunno:

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: November 10, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

A lot of them will be dead in 4 years. :dunno:

True, but the people who they have passed on their moral values to won't be.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: November 10, 2016, 02:29:25 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

if she's willingly to be mildly racist and tell them everything they want to hear in very basic and simplistic ways that are actually not possible, then sure why not?

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: November 10, 2016, 02:30:45 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

if she's willingly to be mildly racist and tell them everything they want to hear in very basic and simplistic ways that are actually not possible, then sure why not?

Does she grab herself by the pussy or....?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 10, 2016, 02:57:54 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

This election wasn't about Trump, it was about Hillary. Tulsi certainly won't have a enthusiasm problem. She's a liberal evolution of Barack Obama. I'd rejoin the Democratic party in a second, we just need her to stay out of trouble for 3 years. I'm going to tweet at her about 90 times the next two and a half years.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: November 10, 2016, 03:00:31 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

This election wasn't about Trump, it was about Hillary. Tulsi certainly won't have a enthusiasm problem. She's a liberal evolution of Barack Obama. I'd rejoin the Democratic party in a second, we just need her to stay out of trouble for 3 years. I'm going to tweet at her about 90 times the next two and a half years.

I agree with everything you said but she'll need to convert at least some of the white midwesterny "Christian" males to get a majority.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 10, 2016, 03:00:57 PM »
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 10, 2016, 03:06:16 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

I agree with everything you said but she'll need to convert at least some of the white midwesterny "Christian" males to get a majority.

True, you'd think it wouldn't be a problem though. Obama winning twice against capable competition was remarkable. Is a young black Harvard elite more or less tolerable than a female Hindi war hero? An Indian woman is a popular governor of the reddest of states.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 10, 2016, 03:07:24 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

Obama didn't convert any of them and he won easily.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 10, 2016, 03:22:07 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

True, you'd think it wouldn't be a problem though. Obama winning twice against capable competition was remarkable. Is a young black Harvard elite more or less tolerable than a female Hindi war hero? An Indian woman is a popular governor of the reddest of states.

I mean if you get her to run I'll join the Democratic party and become a caucuser person even though I have no idea how that even works at this point.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 10, 2016, 03:26:43 PM »
Silver was very wrong.

:lol:

At the very least, this is the perception. Quick google news search:

FiveThirtyEight’s Nate Silver whiffed on the 2016 election, along with nearly every other prognosticator
http://www.thewrap.com/nate-silver-donald-trump-hillary-clinton-electoral-college-election/

The results of this year’s presidential election made a mockery of analytical election forecast modelers.
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20161108-why-nate-silver-and-sam-wang-are-wrong/

Unfortunately for 538, it seems we can call the race early: things did not go well.
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/im-a-stats-prof-heres-why-nate-silvers-model-was-all-over-the-place_us_582238dce4b0d9ce6fbf69b6

Offline mocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 10, 2016, 03:36:51 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

without taking time to find some data, iirc obama won because he got approximately give or take 100% of the under 30 vote

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 10, 2016, 03:45:26 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

without taking time to find some data, iirc obama won because he got approximately give or take 100% of the under 30 vote

She'd get like 180%, she is absolutely more appealing and relatable to young people.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 10, 2016, 03:46:44 PM »

she is quite attractive

She's a war hero, brah.

I mean if you get her to run I'll join the Democratic party and become a caucuser person even though I have no idea how that even works at this point.

You can change your affiliation for the caucuses and then change back for the general.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2016, 04:09:59 PM »
At the very least, this is the perception.

and i'll enjoy hearing people blame pollsters for their own stupidity in failing to understand the polls.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2016, 04:17:59 PM »
At the very least, this is the perception.

and i'll enjoy hearing people blame pollsters for their own stupidity in failing to understand the polls.

Oh, you didn't really mean blaming.

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2016, 04:37:26 PM »
She'd get like 180%, she is absolutely more appealing and relatable to young people.

mocat please check this math.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2016, 04:49:29 PM »
booger sugar is far more prominent than you realize.
it also has soo many good nicknames.. nose clams is still my personal fave

I learn a new term for it almost every time it comes up in conversation. Nose clams is a new one for me, and is definitely in my top 5 now.

MiR, were you with us at Snickers when the waitress from the previous bar offered me head in exchange for snow because she mistook my allergies and excessive trips to go piss for bumps in the bathroom?

also that's amaze

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2016, 05:28:05 PM »
Hilary was like 2 percentage points total from winning over 300 ev with terrible turnout. I'm not very worried about future elections.
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite