Author Topic: theories on our second half struggles?  (Read 2887 times)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
theories on our second half struggles?
« on: November 07, 2016, 09:58:09 AM »
-coaching staff was getting impatient and knew the buffets were almost closed
-training table serves butter not margarine, we lack energy in the second half
-after the 35-0 weather game bill thought they changed the rules to only halftime counts and has yet to adjust

honest answer is we just lack about everything on defense in the pass game and for whatever reason we can't seem to make adjustments. it sucks because this season could have had potential but we will most likely go 6-6. if we were trending up that would be okay but we aren't and we are losing arguably our best two defensive players this year in barnett and willis (draft streak tho)

and I'm not putting all the blame on the d, we are a jones not going out of bounds from being 6-3 or a different play caller from being 7-2 which makes it even worse

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: theories on our second half struggles?
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2016, 10:02:52 AM »
I don't necessarily agree that the program isn't trending up. I do have future concerns about the defense, but overall we have a very good base of young talent in the program.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2016, 10:06:36 AM »
I don't necessarily agree that the program isn't trending up. I do have future concerns about the defense, but overall we have a very good base of young talent in the program.
_fan with our talent we have now (young) i would agree with you. but then you look at how these players are set up for failure and how can you see that trending upwards?

you're a stat guy explain to me these play calls. explain what football person would agree with anything this staff has done this year.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2016, 10:10:47 AM »
_fan with our talent we have now (young) i would agree with you. but then you look at how these players are set up for failure and how can you see that trending upwards?

you're a stat guy explain to me these play calls. explain what football person would agree with anything this staff has done this year.

The offense and special teams have made steady improvements and are set for big years the next couple of seasons. I hope Thompson is good enough to compete for the spot, but Ertz has shown me that he can be a good to very good Big 12 QB (if he stays healthy). We have talent at RB, WR, and on the oline that will be here for a while. Its fun to dig on Dimel/Miller for last year and the start of this season, but I truly believe they have turned it around.

Granted, that doesn't elevate the concerns on defense. I suppose I'll let this season finish out, but I agree that the direction of the defense is trending down. I'm not sure what to think about that at this point.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2016, 10:16:15 AM »
right, again i agree we have young talent. thats not my point, my point is these coaches are killing this team. i hate bagging on coaches but what else can you say? they have mumped this up from the wvu game on. no way you can say otherwise, unless #goal 17 is to "get a decent lead and stop doing what works" I'm not sure how you can justify anyone that calls plays being here

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2016, 10:19:48 AM »
right, again i agree we have young talent. thats not my point, my point is these coaches are killing this team. i hate bagging on coaches but what else can you say? they have mumped this up from the wvu game on. no way you can say otherwise, unless #goal 17 is to "get a decent lead and stop doing what works" I'm not sure how you can justify anyone that calls plays being here

Do you not see the offense getting better in nearly every statistical category? That was my point, offense and special teams are performing at a solid to high level right now. My issue is with the defense.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2016, 10:23:58 AM »
Defense is extremely young

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2016, 10:25:26 AM »

Do you not see the offense getting better in nearly every statistical category? That was my point, offense and special teams are performing at a solid to high level right now. My issue is with the defense.
yes the offense is getting better. IT DOES NOT matter. if we can't stop anyone, again we had 3 games won this year and ripped up what was working. how do not not see that this staff has lost it?

why do we go apeshit with the passing game with a lead when our MO is grind it out?

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2016, 10:26:28 AM »
we're not that young on defense..

Offline everyone shut up

• Katpak'r
  • “On paper, we feel good.”
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2016, 10:28:45 AM »
Ertz has to be hurt. The majority of his throws are abysmal.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 07, 2016, 10:32:19 AM »
i actually wondered and i could be 100% wrong but with snyder getting older trying to maintain with the players (going on twitter, practice music, etc) that he doesn't run practice like he use to i.e. conditioning, being a hardvass and things like that which we have always been so good at. its just so odd not being a second half team anymore i cant figure out why

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 07, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
i actually wondered and i could be 100% wrong but with snyder getting older trying to maintain with the players (going on twitter, practice music, etc) that he doesn't run practice like he use to i.e. conditioning, being a hardvass and things like that which we have always been so good at. its just so odd not being a second half team anymore i cant figure out why

That's a good question. The 2nd half losses are frustrating.

Again, I can't disagree with you with our issues on defense. I think offensively we just took some time to develop plus the Ertz injury, but I think most of that this staff has corrected.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2016, 10:53:24 AM »
Does Hayes have total control over the defense, does the head coach have any input at all?

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 07, 2016, 10:56:19 AM »
Does Hayes have total control over the defense, does the head coach have any input at all?
that question basically sums up our staff. nobody knows and if we are being honest here its shitty that bill (myself included trust me) gets crap on so much when nobody knows outside of the team who is in control.

you would have to think the head guy would at least step in at some point and say "hey we don't have anyone covering the middle of the field" after their 3rd 40+ yard play there

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #14 on: November 07, 2016, 10:58:25 AM »
Its called being a mediocre program.  That's what they do: find ways to lose.

Offline yoga-like_abana

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Don't @ me boy, cause I ain't said crap
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2016, 11:00:22 AM »
Its been discussed a lot but that 4th and 1 we didn't go for, no one on the offense wanted the punt team to come out so I'd say its safe to hang that one on Snyd

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2016, 11:08:50 AM »
Its called being a mediocre program.  That's what they do: find ways to lose.

yeah and mediocre is suck so basically we suck as a program

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2016, 11:12:31 AM »

that question basically sums up our staff. nobody knows and if we are being honest here its shitty that bill (myself included trust me) gets crap on so much when nobody knows outside of the team who is in control.

Bullshit, Bill is in total control or if he isn't it's still his fault.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2016, 11:27:23 AM »
Bill deserves more blame if he's not controlling things than he does if he is, imo.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2016, 11:32:00 AM »
yeah but do we even know what he thinks he controls and what he doesn't?

without the other coaches speaking and him being a complete prick in his last few pressers nobody knows crap.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2016, 12:07:30 PM »

without the other coaches speaking and him being a complete prick in his last few pressers nobody knows crap.

Yeah, its impossible to know. And yes, Bill not letting his coordinators talk/be accountable is probably my biggest frustration with Bill 2.0. Its dumb.

Offline 114Hickory

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2016, 12:22:37 PM »
Pass reads second-level and back are either wrong or late consistently.  This is not limited to the second half but offenses exploit this over the course of the game.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2016, 12:27:23 PM »

the less we know the more it's his fault

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 07, 2016, 12:47:42 PM »

so ultimately its curries fault then? i know what i said earlier but that was from a "he is a figure head at this point" point of view if that makes sense. its really a damned if you do damned if you don't  season

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 07, 2016, 01:01:58 PM »

so ultimately its curries fault then? i know what i said earlier but that was from a "he is a figure head at this point" point of view if that makes sense. its really a damned if you do damned if you don't  season

It isn't Currie's fault at all, there isn't an AD in the country that would or could fire LHC Bill Snyder. The direction of the program is frustrating as hell right now but if you completely ignore that 1989-2005 exists, no coach is getting fired for what he has done here 2009-2016.