Author Topic: 2016 non-qhatz ncaa football  (Read 99926 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: 2016 non-qhatz ncaa football
« Reply #1350 on: January 10, 2017, 02:13:09 AM »
Big 12 refs did their best to ruin the game. Almost feel like the conference should apologize to college football.

What are you talking about?

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1351 on: January 10, 2017, 08:27:42 AM »
He's mad they got the review correct
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1352 on: January 10, 2017, 08:28:52 AM »
Did saban do a post game presser? I was hoping someone asked him about kiffen.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline mhkpasa

• Katpak'r
  • Let's go get a couple bowls of loudmouth soup
    • View Profile
« Reply #1353 on: January 10, 2017, 08:43:08 AM »
i'm no football historian, but it seems to me like kicking and punting strategy has changed as much or more than anything else besides helmet roundness over the last decade or so.
Clemson just has terrible kickers and it almost cost them the game. Their kickoff after the next to last touchdown that have Alabama the ball at like the 36 yard line was the worst kickoff I've ever seen.

That wasn't an intentional pooch?

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1354 on: January 10, 2017, 09:41:52 AM »
11 drives for Bama since up 14-0
1 big play
77 yards other than that

Tremendous job by The Clemson Defense since the 2 score defecit

Yeah, Venables has dominated Sark.

Even the big runs Alabama had early were mistakes by players not getting to the edge (first TD I think it was there was a massive hold that prevented the guy from getting outside). Basically 24 Alabama points were big mistakes by Clemson players. Sort of reminiscent of last year where Jayron Kearse made 2 or 3 errors that led to big TDs.

The success rate on your game stats post really helps tell the story of how well Clemson's defense played outside of a couple of plays.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1355 on: January 10, 2017, 09:59:58 AM »
Even the big runs Alabama had early were mistakes by players not getting to the edge (first TD I think it was there was a massive hold that prevented the guy from getting outside). Basically 24 Alabama points were big mistakes by Clemson players. Sort of reminiscent of last year where Jayron Kearse made 2 or 3 errors that led to big TDs.

The success rate on your game stats post really helps tell the story of how well Clemson's defense played outside of a couple of plays.

This is true. Success rate isn't a "be all, end all" stat, but I think it does a good job of showing how well teams are running offense overall. Of course, you can take advantage of some turnovers, field position, and have a couple big plays and still have decent YPP/PPP offense, which is sort of what Alabama did last night. It was interesting to watch the teams flip as Alabama's defense dominated early, then as the game went on Clemson's defense dominated.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1357 on: January 10, 2017, 04:07:24 PM »
Can you c&p

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1358 on: January 10, 2017, 04:31:57 PM »
Why Didn’t Alabama Commit Pass Interference on the Final Play?

An intentional penalty might have been Alabama’s best strategy to beat Clemson for the national championship. But they played it straight—and lost.

Clemson was at the 2-yard line down three points with only seconds left in Monday’s national championship when the Tigers called one last play.

With the national title at stake, Alabama still had a way to ensure its optimal scenario. So why didn’t the Crimson Tide use it?

All they had to do was commit an obvious pass-interference penalty. It was the one time all season that Alabama’s defenders wrapping Clemson’s receivers in enormous bear hugs actually would have been the right strategy. And yet the idea of an intentional penalty—like a hack in basketball—is so unthinkable in college football that a team with the sport’s most dominant coach wouldn’t even try it when it was his best shot to win the national title.

A penalty would’ve resulted in a first-and-goal for the Tigers at the 1-yard line—with enough time on the clock to run exactly one more play. Even if there were no time remaining, though, Clemson would’ve been entitled to that play because the game can’t end on a defensive flag.

But that would have left Tigers coach Dabo Swinney with a hugely risky decision in a 31-28 game: take the points for overtime, or take a shot at the national title? The former was Alabama’s best-case scenario barring a highly unlikely turnover. The latter was the lousy situation they were already in.

Taking a penalty on purpose in this situation may seem radical, but it’s actually an established football strategy that can be traced to one football’s greatest defensive minds: former NFL coach Buddy Ryan. The goal-line play is detailed in a page of Ryan’s old playbook that Chris B. Brown published on his website Smart Football. Brown called it “clever and devious.”

Ryan’s plan sent three extra linebackers onto the field to help accomplish his one goal: force the referees to throw a penalty flag. That sentiment might violate the spirit of the game and not win many friends. But it’s also a perfectly legal play—a loophole waiting to be exploited—to win games.

“We want to stop their offense from scoring, and in the process, we want to run the clock down to where they have enough time for just one play,” Ryan wrote, according to Smart Football. “So, we will stop them, get penalized half the distance to the goal, but leave them with enough time to run one play. We will then go back to our regular goal-line defense and stop them to win the game.”

Alabama wouldn’t have been able to do this an infinite number of times. But assuming it worked, they only would’ve needed to do it once. “If it happened more than once and was so blatant as to be obviously intentional, then the rules allow for the referee to award the touchdown anyway,” said Rogers Redding, the NCAA’s officiating coordinator. “The procedure would be that the referee would warn the defensive coach that if it happens again, the touchdown would be awarded and the game would be over.”

Swinney would’ve had a tricky decision if Saban forced his hand. He’s not exactly conservative, but he probably would have sent his kicking team and taken his chances in overtime, as most coaches would.

And he wouldn’t have been wrong. Clemson had already run more plays against Alabama than any team in the Saban era. Tigers coaches thought before the game that 80 plays would tire Alabama. This would have been their 100th. It was clearly working: Alabama’s defense had cracked, and Clemson suddenly had an edge.

But overtime also presupposed that Clemson kicker Greg Huegel would’ve made the biggest field goal of his life. The short kick itself would’ve been a gimme, though not a certainty: Huegel had attempted only three field goals since Nov. 12 and missed two of them.

And who knows what might’ve happened in overtime? No one now. Because instead of making an unconventional but potentially brilliant call, Alabama played it straight.

Clemson ran a cunning play of its own—a “rub” route in which one receiver essentially sets a pick for the other—and Hunter Renfrow caught the go-ahead, game-winning touchdown pass with one second left.

There were no flags on the play.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1360 on: January 11, 2017, 12:51:02 AM »
i'm no football historian, but it seems to me like kicking and punting strategy has changed as much or more than anything else besides helmet roundness over the last decade or so.
Clemson just has terrible kickers and it almost cost them the game. Their kickoff after the next to last touchdown that have Alabama the ball at like the 36 yard line was the worst kickoff I've ever seen.

That wasn't an intentional pooch?

It was and it was incredibly stupid to give up that much field poison at that point in the game.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #1361 on: January 11, 2017, 02:12:28 PM »
Clemsons kicking game infuriated me.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1362 on: January 11, 2017, 02:15:16 PM »
A good article outlining several of the things that Clemson overcame (punts, TOs, field position) to win vs Alabama.

http://www.footballoutsiders.com/fei-ratings/2017/fei-2016-final

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #1363 on: January 11, 2017, 02:16:38 PM »
I don't ever watch Alabama games so I just figured they had some monster returner clumpson was staying away from

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1364 on: January 11, 2017, 03:55:31 PM »
While watching that I couldn't help but think about the idiots who cry about Sean every time a field goal is missed or we give up a 20 yard return.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1365 on: January 11, 2017, 06:17:08 PM »
While watching that I couldn't help but think about the idiots who cry about Sean every time a field goal is missed or we give up a 20 yard return.

I was thinking that Dabo wasn't even a coordinator when he was hired! Kinda similar thoughts

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1366 on: January 11, 2017, 08:45:05 PM »

I was thinking that Dabo wasn't even a coordinator when he was hired! Kinda similar thoughts

He clearly thinks about it a lot. He was reppin hard for the AD who hired him in the post game.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1367 on: January 11, 2017, 11:10:35 PM »
People cry about Sean?  Weird

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1368 on: January 12, 2017, 08:48:01 AM »
It honestly is. National special teams coach of the year and all and ppl still try to put a clown suit on him on here.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1369 on: January 12, 2017, 09:08:48 AM »
It honestly is. National special teams coach of the year and all and ppl still try to put a clown suit on him on here.
I assumed people bitching about ST Coordinator Sean were being sarcastic.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1370 on: January 12, 2017, 10:19:24 AM »
people bitching about sean only do so because his name has been connected to bill's position when he steps down.  it has zero to do with ST performance.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #1371 on: January 12, 2017, 10:45:51 AM »
I assumed people bitching about ST Coordinator Sean were being sarcastic.
Many weren't being that way. I'm sure it's for the reasoning that clams just listed, but it's still super dumb.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #1372 on: January 12, 2017, 10:51:04 AM »
Some people don't get sarcasm, and they consider any perceived criticism of K-State a personal affront.

With that said, when you have a dad who has ensured that the son has a lifetime contract with K-State, and the son has been handed the keys if you will, and been appointed a significant role almost exclusively for just being the son.  Then one can expect a little mockery when the son's area of responsibility doesn't perform well. 

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #1373 on: January 12, 2017, 11:21:50 AM »
yeah but the thing is, he's performed his role as ST coordinator better than just about anyone in the country. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #1374 on: January 12, 2017, 11:45:42 AM »
yeah but the thing is, he's performed his role as ST coordinator better than just about anyone in the country. 

well eff it then, you can consider my tear flow to have stopped.  that's right, i said it.  no. more. tears.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.