Author Topic: Is it racist?  (Read 7563 times)

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Is it racist?
« Reply #25 on: August 22, 2016, 09:25:27 PM »
I am seriously only one line into this thread and I can't imagine I'll have a more pressing question than who the eff are "experts on racism and race-related issues..." isn't this just like all people?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 22, 2016, 09:30:50 PM »
Quick question for the MIR and other experts on racism and race-related issues...

I was talking on the phone the other day to a customer service representative. This was an issue I'd called about previously, but they had no record of my prior call. I then said "well, I can't remember the name of the person I spoke to, but it was a black woman" on such and such date.

At which point the rep paused and then said [imagine snottiest tone possible] "well how do you know she was black?" I answered "uh, she had a black voice?"

So admittedly, "black voice" probably wasn't the best phraseology - I was pretty taken aback by the rep getting so offended.

So is it racist to identify someone as black/white based solely on their voice?

(Also, this would probably be a helpful master thread for similar inquiries).

No, it isn't racist, but an ignorant, insular assumption. I just came from Ithaca, NY and my wife has a cousin that sounds like you would think a black woman sounds, she's also all tatted up. Get this, she's a white, anti-government, anti-vaxxing, Trumper. When people tell me I sound white, I ask them why, what follows is either a stammer or something actually racist.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: August 22, 2016, 09:33:20 PM »
A good rule of thumb might be to avoid doing things that require you to ask yourself, "is it racist."
« Last Edit: August 22, 2016, 09:41:27 PM by bucket »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: August 22, 2016, 09:34:26 PM »
it was clearly the ed's sister

:ROFL:

I think the real issue is who even calls customer service anymore?

It's the same guy who ordered an engagement ring over the phone

Wait, what? This is an inside joke, right?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 22, 2016, 09:35:53 PM »
A good rule of them might be to avoid doing things that require you to ask yourself, "is it racist."

In defense of humanity, this is very tough to do if you live and operate in a relatively homogenized environment.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #30 on: August 22, 2016, 09:51:20 PM »
Fun Fact: i can tell what race someone by the way they type their posts. For example, mir is black African-American?) and ksuw is white (caucasian?)
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: August 22, 2016, 09:58:03 PM »
Fun Fact: i can tell what race someone by the way they type their posts. For example, mir is black African-American?) and ksuw is white (caucasian?)

what race is poonhound69?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: August 22, 2016, 09:59:10 PM »

2/3 Hillbilly, 1/3 cracker

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 22, 2016, 09:59:40 PM »
I think the real issue is who even calls customer service anymore?

It's the same guy who ordered an engagement ring over the phone

You are right - if I had done this by chat I could have saved a transcript. But this was to cancel my cable. I think break ups at least deserve a phone call.

You only need to call TW once to cancel.  Not sure why you reference a prior call.

Yeah, that was the problem. I called to cancel and evidently they "forgot" all about it so I had to call again. Then they denied I ever called the first time. But I don't want to get too far off topic.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:12 PM »

I thought he was a pollock
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 22, 2016, 10:03:34 PM »

100% AWESOME

Offline Mrs. Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: August 22, 2016, 10:04:39 PM »
Sometimes when you talk to someone on the phone (or even just email) you get a picture of them in your head. Sometimes it turns out to be close and sometimes it turns out to be really off. They might be taller or prettier or skinnier or have more hair than you expected. Can't race be one of those failed assumptions without you being racist?

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 22, 2016, 10:07:10 PM »

I thought he was a pollock

Priceless

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 22, 2016, 10:39:43 PM »
Sometimes when you talk to someone on the phone (or even just email) you get a picture of them in your head. Sometimes it turns out to be close and sometimes it turns out to be really off. They might be taller or prettier or skinnier or have more hair than you expected. Can't race be one of those failed assumptions without you being racist?

Well, yeah. But if we're being honest most people, black and white, associate black people on the phone with slang words and poor English. I love conversations about code switching. Lonnae O'Neal writes for The Undefeated, she is my soulmate, she wrote this. https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/lonnae-oneal-why-i-sometimes-sound-blacker-than-others/2015/02/25/e547eb5e-bc54-11e4-b274-e5209a3bc9a9_story.html

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 22, 2016, 10:52:38 PM »
I think there is a voice quality outside of word choice that is a pretty solid indicator too. Similar to accent I guess, but it seems a little different. Not that there aren't exceptions, but you can certainly tell some differences a lot of the time.
:adios:

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: August 22, 2016, 10:54:57 PM »
I think the point is stereotypes are largely accurate

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: August 22, 2016, 11:09:16 PM »
I think the point is stereotypes are largely accurate

LOL, you would.

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: August 23, 2016, 12:13:40 AM »
Why would you want someone you thought was black handling your account? Should have hung up and redialed until you got someone you thought was white.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: August 23, 2016, 09:44:55 AM »
Prefer Asians myself.  Usually smart, capable, and they respect the "customer is always right" doctrine.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: August 23, 2016, 09:50:36 AM »
I think there is a voice quality outside of word choice that is a pretty solid indicator too. Similar to accent I guess, but it seems a little different. Not that there aren't exceptions, but you can certainly tell some differences a lot of the time.

Right. This wasn't a matter or word choice or slang or "dropping g's" or whatever else. I'm not being critical. There's just generally a certain tone (tonality? timbre?) difference between white and black voices. The only exceptions to the rule I've come across are some black people who I wouldn't be able to distinguish from white people based upon their voice, but I've never come across a white person who I would confuse for a black person based upon their voice.

I was just caught off guard because of the snotty way the CSR responded to me "well how do you know she was black?" It seemed as if she was accusing me of making a racist assumption, both due to her tone and the fact that her challenging me wasn't in keeping with her job responsibilities.

It would be interesting to know if there have been studies on this. But I bet all of us could listen to people over the phone and pick out the speakers who are definitely black (again, the "definitely white" would be trickier) with an extremely high degree of accuracy.

Or maybe not. I've always been sensitive to sound and music. I don't mean super hearing, but chords, tones, etc. Like the Star Spangled Banner during the Olympics annoyed me because they swapped in minor chords at spots, which made it sound sadder. I was like "why did they do that?" and my wife was like "what the hell are you talking about?"
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: August 23, 2016, 09:53:38 AM »
there are many exceptions though. I think it was Jamar Samuels who put it, "Why Adele sound like she got a bottle of Texas Pete in her purse?"

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: August 23, 2016, 09:57:06 AM »
Who does that uppity csr think she is challenging ignorant comments  :curse:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline SdK

• Libertine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: August 23, 2016, 10:02:49 AM »
I think you're fine KSU. I feel much the same way, but I remember people's names. So I don't have to resort to race descriptors.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: August 23, 2016, 10:15:09 AM »

there are many exceptions though. I think it was Jamar Samuels who put it, "Why Adele sound like she got a bottle of Texas Pete in her purse?"

:thumbs:
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite