Author Topic: Tea Party arguments  (Read 1496 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Tea Party arguments
« on: May 06, 2010, 11:05:27 AM »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/discussion/2010/05/05/DI2010050502168.html

WaPo had a chat with someone who claims to speak for the Tea Party.  Tea Partiers, does this guy speak for you?  Because I get you want to cut government spending, but cutting taxes does not do that without cutting spending to off-set that.  Considering all of the Bush tax cuts and Obama's tax cuts, they have just turned in to more deficit spending.  What are the reductions in the budget that you favor.  The biggest things we spend money on are:  Social Security, Medicare, Medicaid, Military.  Which gets cut and by how much is the debate that no one will touch.

Listen to this fool:

Sidney, N.Y.: Many Tea Party supporters I know in Upstate New York receive federal single payer health benefits from VA, Medicare and Medicaid, which they profess to support while vehemently arguing against the still most private market health-care insurance reform. Please help me make sense of this.

Judson Phillips: And I know liberals who believe in the tooth fairy.

Washington, D.C.: "Second, let's go through the entire federal budget and eliminate programs that are consumed by waste, fraud or abuse. Start eliminating them. "

This doesn't answer that poster's question at all. WHAT would you cut? Social Security? Medicare? National defense? What would you cut?

Judson Phillips: Let's start with entitlement programs. They are the biggest source of out of control spending. Then let's go to congressional pork programs. Since we have a war on terror or as Obama would call it, man caused disasters, I do not believe cuts in the defense budget are appropriate at this time.

Solutions: "Second, let's go through the entire federal budget and eliminate programs that are consumed by waste, fraud or abuse."

Okay, so some examples of what these are? The Tea Party and its "Taxpayers' Rights" predecessors always say this, but one person's waste is another person's lifeline. So I would like to know some concrete ideas of what programs meet these criteria.

Judson Phillips: Social security disability is the first one I would go through. Down in the south, many people refer to them as crazy checks. We have lawyers advertising right next to the personal injury lawyers, saying they will get you SSI disability. the program is rife with fraud.

Alexandria, Va.: Are you willing to admit that marginal tax rates went up for the majority of Americans during the Reagan administration? Do you know the difference between average and marginal tax rates? Could you answer a simple econ 101 questions regarding the impact of progressive taxation on the labor-leisure choice?

Judson Phillips: No.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Tea Party arguments
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2010, 11:06:51 AM »
My question is, how would you answer the questions differently if he does not represent what the Tea Party is truly about.  I think a lot of things that people say in the name of some of my beliefs are poorly reasoned or wrong, and I try to strike out an actual rationale for why I believe what I do.  Would like to see a conversation on the same here.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2010, 12:58:06 PM »
This Judson Phillips character obviously has not researched the subjects necessary to intelligently answer the questions posed to him and should not be representing any group.

Offline Goldbrick

• American by birth, Republican by the grace of God
  • Point Plank'r
  • Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2010, 02:58:21 PM »

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2010, 03:10:57 PM »
Jesus, he sounds like TP.

"Smith said that fellow activists soon urged Phillips to turn the group into a non-profit and set up a PayPal account that linked to a bank account for the organization. But, said Smith, "he kept dragging his feet."

Then, said Smith, Phillips -- who in his law practice specializes in DUI cases -- abruptly announced in a radio interview that Tea Party Nation would operate as a for-profit corporation. And he did set up a PayPal account to sell merchandise from the group's website -- but he connected it to his wife's bank account.

Smith said that when Phillips was asked why he was setting up the group as a for-profit entity, he replied that it had to be done that way because President Obama planned to ban non-profits. And Phillips said the use of his wife's PayPal account was only temporary.

But by May, nothing had changed, so Smith and others announced they were quitting the group. That led Phillips to threaten to sue Smith, charging -- baselessly, says Smith -- that he had committed fraud "At least four times he threatened me with legal action," said Smith, who has played no role in organizing the convention."

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2010, 03:21:16 PM »
Scumbag ambulance chaser.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile