Author Topic: little kid sports  (Read 3057 times)

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: little kid sports
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2016, 04:56:22 PM »
baseball without a doubt is the most ridic. in this area. then way way way below that is football
yes, in SoJoCo it appears the typical rec team made up of kids from school falls apart by 4th grade  :frown:

and I agree that football may be the best at limiting the effect of parental influence - there isn't much substitute for god given size, speed or enthusiasm for physical contact.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2016, 04:57:13 PM »
tee ball birthers :ohno:
we might need Steffy in here but redshirting isn't just for college these days

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 05:21:24 PM »
My kids are mostly the same age as Daris', but they l don't really like sports anymore.  My daughter's soccer career ended this summer and won't proceed into middle school.  My 8 year old will barely tolerate basketball, and doesn't like playing any other sport. However, He will whip your ass at open world type games (eg mine craft, Arc evolved thing, etc), should there ever be anything competitive in that area, but he hates most competitions too, so oh well, this thread doesn't apply to me anymore.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2016, 05:24:13 PM »
My kids are mostly the same age as Daris', but they l don't really like sports anymore.  My daughter's soccer career ended this summer and won't proceed into middle school.  My 8 year old will barely tolerate basketball, and doesn't like playing any other sport. However, He will whip your ass at open world type games (eg mine craft, Arc evolved thing, etc), should there ever be anything competitive in that area, but he hates most competitions too, so oh well, this thread doesn't apply to me anymore.

If I ever have kids, I hope they are like yours.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2016, 06:24:37 PM »

esports are just now starting to get traction, you might not be out of the woods yet.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

The Big Train

little kid sports
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2016, 06:26:29 PM »
Pretty sure Ricky D and I talked about this very thing during our last encounter IIRC

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 19, 2016, 06:27:55 PM »

Starcraft or league of legends
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 19, 2016, 10:26:58 PM »
Pretty sure Ricky D and I talked about this very thing during our last encounter IIRC

Maybe. I have two kids. One loves the crap out of sports and plays them and the other doesn't and doesn't. I had a conversation today with an adult whose kid was cut from a baseball team by a pretty close friend of theirs. That kid was 7. The adults seriously won't be friends anymore because of this. It's very lol.

-hey Brian we are cutting Hayden. Want to come over for burgers this weekend?
-uh, what???

« Last Edit: July 19, 2016, 10:35:18 PM by Rick RowdyBoyy Daris »

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
little kid sports
« Reply #33 on: July 19, 2016, 10:31:56 PM »

that conversation is how you know you're not talking to FRD

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2016, 09:42:00 AM »
Both my sister and I played competitive sports growing up, the kinds where we were attending regional or national tournaments most weekends (driving or getting on airplanes).  I was an all-state athlete (Kansas bleh) and got some "offers" to small private schools.  My sister was much better and got full ride offers from every top 25 program in the country and tons others.  Of course my folks spent a lot of money on both of us, but they viewed it as an investment because we could get our college education paid for.  Long story short, I think we both ended up hating playing the actual sports we played.  My sister had to go pro in something other than sports and with her shitty free education she has struggled in the real world. 

So, parents, just relax.  Your kids should learn commitment and teamwork in sports, but it should be fun, and when it stops being fun go do something else. 

My (current) theory:  I'd like my kids to do some team sports and some individual sports, and then also some activities where success is not objectively measured and the rules not so objectively defined (like fishing, hunting, photography, something like that).

Offline TCUHornedFrog

• Cocaine is a helluva drug
  • Katpak'r
  • Cocaine is a helluva drug
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 20, 2016, 10:02:43 AM »
Overly involved sports parents are the worst especially the ones that do it with kids under 10.  A metric eff ton of those kids are burned out by the time they are 12 and never want to play anymore.

Also, a lot of them are the cult of parenthood people and those people suck.  Your child isn't a someone who makes me uncomfortable.  There are over 7 billion people on the planet.  No one but you really cares about what they do. 

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 20, 2016, 10:28:55 AM »
There is a place for kids to play competitive sports without their parents being crazy people, but it's pretty rare. I probably played 50-80 baseball games every year from 4th grade through junior year of HS, plus probably 8 basketball tournaments + a league a year from 5th-8th grade and three sports in high school.  It was only because I wanted to though, not being pushed into it. I just loved sports more than anything else, and my parents gave me the opportunity to compete as much as I wanted. They didn't let me play organized sports until summer after 2nd grade because they recognized how dumb super little kids sports were.
:adios:

Offline _33

• The Inventor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 20, 2016, 11:37:48 AM »
Guys I have another kind of funny story about people taking 8&Under coach pitch softball very seriously.  Well there was a controversial call while the other team was batting (I won't get into the specifics of it because why in the world would I know or care). After the inning the other teams coach brought the rule book to the 17 year old high school student who was acting as the umpire and showed him where he was wrong.  He said the call had already been made so that was that.  Then she yelled "I teach my girls to play by the rules so what am I supposed to tell them now!?"  I laughed very loud.  Whenever I'm sad and need cheered up I think about that coach passionately talking to her team of 7 year olds about that missed call and how her integrity and dedication to them wouldn't allow her to simply ignore it, all the while all they are hearing is Charlie Brown's teachers voice and daydreaming about the popsicle they would get after the game.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: July 20, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »
The idea of doing it for free school is so dumb.  Put the money in an investment instead of travel costs, tourney fees, league fees, equipt fees, etc, and you could probably go to most any state College without having to chose based on any factor other than who has a good degree to offer in what you are interested in.

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 20, 2016, 12:05:28 PM »
Both my sister and I played competitive sports growing up, the kinds where we were attending regional or national tournaments most weekends (driving or getting on airplanes).  I was an all-state athlete (Kansas bleh) and got some "offers" to small private schools.  My sister was much better and got full ride offers from every top 25 program in the country and tons others.  Of course my folks spent a lot of money on both of us, but they viewed it as an investment because we could get our college education paid for.  Long story short, I think we both ended up hating playing the actual sports we played.  My sister had to go pro in something other than sports and with her shitty free education she has struggled in the real world. 

So, parents, just relax.  Your kids should learn commitment and teamwork in sports, but it should be fun, and when it stops being fun go do something else. 

My (current) theory:  I'd like my kids to do some team sports and some individual sports, and then also some activities where success is not objectively measured and the rules not so objectively defined (like fishing, hunting, photography, something like that).

I am sorry to hear that.  I think your plan sounds good, my only sincere hope would be that you keep your firearms in a gun case with a non obvious passcode/combination on the lock.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: July 20, 2016, 12:30:18 PM »

I am sorry to hear that.  I think your plan sounds good, my only sincere hope would be that you keep your firearms in a gun case with a non obvious passcode/combination on the lock.

Well, ya.  The whole room will have a passcode lock on it eventually.  We're in the middle of a basement remodel and have money budgeted as such.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: July 20, 2016, 12:38:50 PM »
yeah I just want my kids to exercise and have fun. Ideally they find a sport they enjoy and can play into adulthood. We're lucky to have pretty low-key basketball and swimming organizations in the community that don't pressure kids, like at all. Soccer and baseball/softball are pretty gross with competition though, at a ridiculously low age.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 20, 2016, 12:46:44 PM »
^^ that's another point I forgot to mention.  I agree they should do a sport they can play their whole lives, be it running or tennis or something like that.    Physical health is a big part of leading a long, healthy, and ultimately happy life.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 20, 2016, 02:13:56 PM »
That's a good reason as to why football sucks.  I mean, you gonna round up 22 30 y/o's and get a game going?