Author Topic: Weird, thoughts on this?  (Read 1677 times)

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Weird, thoughts on this?
« on: May 05, 2010, 09:14:02 AM »
http://www.willwilkinson.net/flybottle/2010/05/04/who-likes-libertarians/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+willwilkinson%2FVeUZ+%28The+Fly+Bottle%29&utm_content=Google+Reader

Social Conservatives don't like "libertine" values?  Strong on Defense/Border Security don't like the civil liberties values?  What gives?  I would've thought the splits would've been much different.

Do conservatives on here consider themselves libertarian or not?

Overall, 38 percent of Americans view “libertarian” favorably to 37 who view it unfavorably. Democrats (39-37) and independents (44-32) view the term most favorably, while Republicans view it negatively by a 13-point (31-44) margin.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Weird, thoughts on this?
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »
You have to realize that about 50% of Americans, regardless of political party, are completely Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) (The average adult American can only read at a 5th grade level). So, I would bet that a lot of democrats are saying that they like it and republicans are saying that they don't because they are confusing it with "liberalism."

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2010, 09:45:41 AM »
I lean toward libertarianism, fwiw.

Offline pike

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • BIG GREEN EGG!!!!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2010, 09:53:44 AM »
You have to realize that about 50% of Americans, regardless of political party, are completely Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!) (The average adult American can only read at a 5th grade level). So, I would bet that a lot of democrats are saying that they like it and republicans are saying that they don't because they are confusing it with "liberalism."

Ha, good point. I lean Libertarian as well on many things

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2010, 07:29:20 PM »
Libertarian = pro-choice, pro gay marriage

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2010, 07:38:59 PM »

Libertarianism is for the government only providing basic necessities like infrastructure and military. A true libertarian would not want the government to recognize any marriage, gay or straight. That would be left up to the churches, and it would be your own business. We waste a ridiculous amount of money every year trying to legislate morality in cases where there are no real victims.

Offline gokatgo

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2010, 07:56:50 PM »

Libertarianism is for the government only providing basic necessities like infrastructure and military. A true libertarian would not want the government to recognize any marriage, gay or straight. That would be left up to the churches, and it would be your own business. We waste a ridiculous amount of money every year trying to legislate morality in cases where there are no real victims.

exactly, explains low approval with republicans though.   

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2010, 08:59:28 PM »
Most American's just don't understand.

That's why most Americans don't understand that our definition of Liberal and Conservative is ass backward from most of the rest of the world.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2010, 10:58:44 PM »

exactly, explains low approval with republicans though.   

I'm not surprised that some republicans do not approve, just that more democrats approve than republicans. I would bet that more libertarians vote republican than democrat. I still think that these results show that most Americans are simply uninformed.