Author Topic: Let's see if we can rough ridin' do this....  (Read 2906 times)

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
Let's see if we can rough ridin' do this....
« on: May 04, 2010, 08:07:01 PM »
....try and name one thing about the "other side" that you respect.  And don't give me any juvenile bullshit about this....we all know that  having merely two parties is WAY too big of a tent to not include something on the other side that you can stomach, let alone actually appreciate.

I'll go first.

I appreciate the idea of a strong military that can act as a deterrent to war.  Particularly a mobile military with Aircraft carrier fleets.   

I appreciate spending money on our business infra-structure.  Roads, rail, maritime shipping, commercial rule of law....GOP typically leads on this.

I appreciate the right to own hunting armaments.  I also appreciate stewardship of wild game hunting by managing populations through hunting and the preservation of the environments that game live in (Ducks Unlimited, Wild Turkey Federation, etc.).  I don't personally kill anything I don't enjoy eating, but I'm never going to prevent others from responsibly doing so.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

The42Yardstick

Re: Let's see if we can rough ridin' do this....
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2010, 08:29:16 PM »
Yeah, a lot of hunters are much, much more responsible and informed about the environment than a number of self-proclaimed environmentalists. Also, natural gas exploration is a pretty damn good idea while we look for renewable energy sources.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2010, 09:05:37 PM »
You don't like eating turkey?  What do you do on Thanksgiving?  Tofurkey?

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: Let's see if we can fracking do this....
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 09:09:52 PM »
We are far too wealthy a country that we can't take care of those within our borders who can't take care of themselves.

wetwillie

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 09:16:33 PM »
This occurred to me today when reading a quote from a congressman from NY who is a republican.  In regards to the terror suspect being held in the NY attempted bombing he said and I am paraphrasing "  It is a joke to Mirandize him, I know he is an American citizen but still".  I can truly appreciate the left for their strong stance on civil liberties and due process.  This is one of the few issues that just make me cringe when people that are conservative abandon civil liberties in the name of fighting terror at all costs.  I also can appreciate the left for actually wanting to pay more taxes.  Don't know how you bastards live up to it but it seems like everyone I know who is left leaning and makes plenty of money really do want to pay a little bit more in taxes to provide a social safety net for the less fortunate.

Offline Dirty Sanchez

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 09:19:57 PM »
Am I assuming correctly that by "the other side" you mean pub vs dem?  lib vs con? big gov vs small gov? Tastes great vs less filling?

The42Yardstick

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2010, 09:37:41 PM »
Tastes great vs less filling?

Here's another one:

Bud Light does not not not not not not not not taste like battery acid.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2010, 09:41:31 PM »
We are far too wealthy a country that we can't take care of those within our borders who can't take care of themselves.

I agree. We just need to cut the horrific waste in government spending, including payroll, bloated union pensions, and Medicare fraud. We could take care of everyone without raising taxes at all. Only fools want to give more money to a wasteful government.

Can't really think of anything else.   :frown:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2010, 09:45:50 PM »

I agree. We just need to cut the horrific waste in government spending, including payroll, bloated union pensions, and Medicare fraud. We could take care of everyone without raising taxes at all. Only fools want to give more money to a wasteful government.

Come on dude, that was pretty back handed.  Can you really say that the Republican party meets all your needs? 

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2010, 10:03:52 PM »

Come on dude, that was pretty back handed.  Can you really say that the Republican party meets all your needs? 

Both are guilty of the waste. Pet peeve of mine.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2010, 10:13:58 PM »

Agree completely.  OK, apart from government bureaucracy, everything else meets your needs?  Not a thing on the other side is appealing in any way?  There has to be something.  Or, at least something you don't like about your own party that you admire be absent from the other?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2010, 10:26:30 PM »
i respect that they point out that a lot of 'pub's are racist, autocratic law&order before personal liberty, anti-science/data/truth moron, sniveling hypocrites.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Jeffy

• Katpak'r
  • Hello Wilbur.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2010, 10:27:17 PM »
I respect the fact that Dems want Americans to take care of the folks that have served our country in the military.

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2010, 10:30:22 PM »

Agree completely.  OK, apart from government bureaucracy, everything else meets your needs?  Not a thing on the other side is appealing in any way?  There has to be something.  Or, at least something you don't like about your own party that you admire be absent from the other?

OK. I kind of like the lefts lackadaisical attitude towards marijuana, I guess. It is a terrible waste of money trying to eradicate it's use when it is no worse than alcohol.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2010, 10:35:49 PM »
man, tought question for me. i'm not politicky at all. i probably like some of both. don't know what side for what though.

overall it seems like a lot of republicans are ignorant white people who don't like the thought of non-white people taking their jobs or really wealthy people who don't like the idea of poor people taking their money. if so, then i don't really side with them on either of those topics. i do probably agree with them on other ones though.  :dunno:

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 04, 2010, 10:51:24 PM »
man, tought question for me. i'm not politicky at all. i'm probably like some of both. don't know what side for what though.

overall it seems like a lot of republicans are ignorant white people who don't like the thought of non-white people taking their jobs or really wealthy people who don't like the idea of poor people taking their money. if so, then i don't really side with them on either of those topics. i do probably agree with them on other ones though.  :dunno:

OK, good first attempt, but I asked you name things you liked, not things you didn't like.  It's cool to name things from both sides (although as Sys cleverly eludes to, there are more than just two...but he also knows that I know that, and he's just being sinister Sys  :gocho: ), but it has to be things you like.

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 04, 2010, 11:02:14 PM »
man, tought question for me. i'm not politicky at all. i'm probably like some of both. don't know what side for what though.

overall it seems like a lot of republicans are ignorant white people who don't like the thought of non-white people taking their jobs or really wealthy people who don't like the idea of poor people taking their money. if so, then i don't really side with them on either of those topics. i do probably agree with them on other ones though.  :dunno:

OK, good first attempt, but I asked you name things you liked, not things you didn't like.  It's cool to name things from both sides (although as Sys cleverly eludes to, there are more than just two...but he also knows that I know that, and he's just being sinister Sys  :gocho: ), but it has to be things you like.

again, i'm not politicky. could you or someone please give a short list of things that republicans like and then i'll tell you if i like them or not. not trying to be coy, just don't care about this stuff in general. i bet that there's a good amount that i agree w/.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 05, 2010, 07:18:51 AM »
what I like about modern liberalism
protection of civil liberties

what I like about modern(neo) conservatism
nothing really
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.