Author Topic: Playstation Vue  (Read 4720 times)

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Playstation Vue
« on: May 22, 2016, 06:39:08 PM »
Moved to a new apartment this weekend that doesn't allow Cox to install internet or cable here. Since I wanted to still have the benefits of cable, I started looking around. All of the companies had outrageous prices for cable/dish only; I checked DISH, DirectTV, ComCast and Bloom. Then I remembered, my playstation has a service called Playstation Vue! So, I started my free trial and it seems pretty great. I have 72 channels for $34 a month. I'm currently watching the pregame of the Warriors vs. OKC game live.

The only downside is that it did not have Fox Sports Kansas City today so I was unable to watch the Royals. It sounds like Sony is trying to work out a deal with all of the regional Fox stations, so hopefully it won't be long and I can watch the Royals too. So far, Playstation Vue is totally worth it if you are looking to cut costs and get rid of cable.

Have any of you guys used it? What do you think? I'll give updates throughout my free trial.

tldr: I have Playstation Vue. The only downside right now is that there is no Fox Sports Kansas City. I'm able to watch all normal channels live. I'm going to be reviewing PS Vue throughout my free trial. What do you guys think of it?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Playstation Vue
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2016, 06:43:18 PM »
So it's streaming over your internet connection?
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2016, 06:45:26 PM »
So it's streaming over your internet connection?
Yes, so as long as you have a good internet connection, it's awesome. I basically have every channel except the local news that I used to watch on cable.
Luke's stock is rising as Winters continues to validate his greatness. Add Luke and Winters to my list! Also, EMAWBLAST! and Tobias!

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2016, 06:48:52 PM »
What kind of downstream speed are you pulling?  I tried slingTV on the 30MB/s I have and it wasn't great.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2016, 06:53:41 PM »
I only have 15mb on Bloom Broadband (Our apartments made us have this). But, it seems to be great. Very little lag. Download speed on the playstation when I click "Test Connection" says its downloading at 10 mb/s.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2016, 07:17:06 PM »
This would have been a deal breaker for me, get a different apartment
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2016, 06:36:08 PM »
This would have been a deal breaker for me, get a different apartment
I can upgrade to 50 mbs if I need to, but I usually only have one device streaming at a time. I don't really ever have problems on a low tiered speed.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2016, 07:10:23 PM »
You're a fascism enabler

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2016, 07:26:07 PM »
Moved to a new apartment this weekend that doesn't allow Cox to install internet or cable here. Since I wanted to still have the benefits of cable, I started looking around. All of the companies had outrageous prices for cable/dish only; I checked DISH, DirectTV, ComCast and Bloom. Then I remembered, my playstation has a service called Playstation Vue! So, I started my free trial and it seems pretty great. I have 72 channels for $34 a month. I'm currently watching the pregame of the Warriors vs. OKC game live.

The only downside is that it did not have Fox Sports Kansas City today so I was unable to watch the Royals. It sounds like Sony is trying to work out a deal with all of the regional Fox stations, so hopefully it won't be long and I can watch the Royals too. So far, Playstation Vue is totally worth it if you are looking to cut costs and get rid of cable.

Have any of you guys used it? What do you think? I'll give updates throughout my free trial.

tldr: I have Playstation Vue. The only downside right now is that there is no Fox Sports Kansas City. I'm able to watch all normal channels live. I'm going to be reviewing PS Vue throughout my free trial. What do you guys think of it?

Look into the Fox Sport Go app for the Royals game. Just would need a cable login from your parents or someone.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2016, 10:05:38 PM »
Look into the Fox Sport Go app for the Royals game. Just would need a cable login from your parents or someone.
That's literally what I did as soon as I came home today.  :lol:

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2016, 10:14:12 PM »
Well, I'm on my 2nd night of PS Vue. So far, it's just ok.

Was pretty bummed out when I was not able to watch The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon tonight. All of ABC and NBC seem to be on-demand shows(no extra cost), but not live tv. I can watch Friday's Tonight Show, but who wants to do that when today is Monday?

Sports for the casual fan are great. I have been able to watch the NBA playoffs and everything looks awesome. I was even able to pause and record (up to 30 mins) of the game tonight while I cooked some food.

My wife particularly enjoys watching HGTV and has tagged her favorite shows on that channel.  Each one of us has a profile and we can all tag our favorite shows and it gives us notifications when they are live.

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2016, 10:18:52 PM »

Online Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2016, 10:57:59 PM »

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2016, 11:12:46 PM »
I'm going to dump SlingTV for Vue when I move in a week or so.  Much better channel lineup and Fox Sports support seals it.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the user interface.  PS3 or 4?  Use it on a Fire Stick or iOS?
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2016, 11:19:26 PM »
EDN have you seen the beta multistream from SlingTV?

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2016, 11:34:45 PM »
I have not.  That is a nice feature.  I was wondering is PS Vue is credentialed for Watch ESPN? I think it is for FSGo. 
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2016, 11:40:50 PM »
Did I read it right that it's another $20, essentially doubling the monthly cost?  Not sure it's worth it.

Online wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2016, 06:32:30 AM »
Did I read it right that it's another $20, essentially doubling the monthly cost?  Not sure it's worth it.

Well it would be the alternative to what you have now, you can either have the Disney/ABC  or the Fox family of networks.  You are right that both probably doesn't make sense. 

Offline MeatSauce

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2016, 07:42:28 AM »
I have Vue in Philly thru Xfinity.  All local channels are live as is CSN(phils, sixers, flyers), ESPN pkg, Fox,FS1&2, BTN, SEC, Bein Sports.  All the other normal cable channels, for $45/mo.  haven't noticed a quality issue, even with a 2nd device going at the same time.

Only downside, and this is Comcast related, is not being able to stream HBOGo as a standalone.  :curse:

Offline star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2016, 08:40:06 AM »
Xfinity allows hbogo, they have for like 2 years now (source: I steal my mom's xfinity hbogo)

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2016, 09:01:03 AM »
A lot allow HBO Go - The streaming extension of having a cable package with HBO.  Most don't allow HBO Now - the streaming package without the cable channel

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2016, 07:34:23 PM »
I'm going to dump SlingTV for Vue when I move in a week or so.  Much better channel lineup and Fox Sports support seals it.  I'd be interested to hear your thoughts on the user interface.  PS3 or 4?  Use it on a Fire Stick or iOS?
I use it on PS4. They are allowing free trials right now. You should give it a shot. The user interface is pretty nice, it's easy to use.

Offline Lucas Scoopsalot

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2016, 07:35:15 PM »
I have not.  That is a nice feature.  I was wondering is PS Vue is credentialed for Watch ESPN? I think it is for FSGo.
PS Vue is not credentialed for FSGo. I had to use my parents Cox account for FSGo.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: July 05, 2016, 12:40:35 PM »
Trialing Vue through my PS4 at the moment. So far so good. Think I'm gonna cut the cord. No Roys games still but I would bet FS Regional packages will come at some point.

I'll probably get an Amazon Fire Stick for my other TV's.

Any horror stories from anyone that uses this?
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: July 05, 2016, 12:42:56 PM »
get a new roku stick instead of the amazon one