Author Topic: How many amendments in the Bill of Rights still exist?  (Read 1596 times)

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
How many amendments in the Bill of Rights still exist?
« on: May 04, 2016, 06:12:54 PM »
Was reading this article about habeas corpus

https://theintercept.com/2016/05/04/the-untold-story-of-bill-clintons-other-crime-bill/

and it got me thinking how many of the amendments in the bill of rights havent been watered down?

I think the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd (pretty useless now) are still strong, even if i want to wipe the 2nd off the books.
4th, 5th, and 6th seem to have been weakened to a decent extent.
7th doesnt matter
8th is definitely gone
9th doesnt matter
10th got destroyed for the good of country.

P.S. i always assumed habeas corpus was in the bill of rights but its actually in Article 1. Anyway was just thinking about that today.

P.S.S our judicial system scares the living hell out of me.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: How many amendments in the Bill of Rights still exist?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2016, 07:20:31 PM »
Look at Biden smiling down at the signing.    I give him credit, he may be the nicest political thug in U.S. history.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2016, 07:31:14 PM »
The 5th is alive and well friend.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2016, 08:00:52 PM »
Look at Biden smiling down at the signing.    I give him credit, he may be the nicest political thug in U.S. history.

Yea the fact he hasnt shown any remorse isnt great. I dont remember the 90s that well, but man after reading that it seems like both parties hated the constitution at the time.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2016, 08:08:06 PM »
Well as time moves on and the record of history can be re-examined one discovers more and more about people like Joe Biden that prior to the Internet being what it is today, wasn't easily accessible.    But Joe has supported all kinds of really, really bad stuff, and has never really been called out on it.   

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2016, 08:18:15 PM »
Well as time moves on and the record of history can be re-examined one discovers more and more about people like Joe Biden that prior to the Internet being what it is today, wasn't easily accessible.    But Joe has supported all kinds of really, really bad stuff, and has never really been called out on it.   

Grandpa Dole doesn't exactly seem like the great statesman he is portrayed as either. Seems like politicians from that era  have blood on their hands when it comes making the justice system awful.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2016, 08:30:54 PM »
I'd argue that the 8th is strong, at least with the discussion of cruel and unusual punishment. I think the bail and fines part works well enough, not perfect, but it's there. To say that it's gone is completely brushing it off. I'd also argue that the 4th is currently the most violated and weakened amendment that people care about. 9th and 10th are also in the same vein of being violated but I think people are ok with that to varying degrees. Basically, people don't get up in arms about it anymore, civil war emphatically put a lot of it to bed and it's gone on from there.

First amendment I think is the one (except for some of those damn crazy kids in college, not all but some) that pretty much everyone can agree with, easily the best written and best amendment.

2nd, 3rd, and 7th are stuck in the 1700s, you should be allowed to own guns but I'd like to see the regulation part greatly strengthened. Lol at using houses to host troops anymore, and the 7th is almost like a tack on of 5 and 6.

5th is easily alive and well, look how often it's used in congressional hearings

6th is still pretty solid IMO, and also IMO as well written as the 1st.

A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2016, 02:33:09 AM »
Actual or gutted? Hillary said on MSN news she is going to use executive orders to ban gun sales.  The old cigs are a health hazard ploy.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2016, 01:44:41 PM »
I'd argue that the 8th is strong, at least with the discussion of cruel and unusual punishment. I think the bail and fines part works well enough, not perfect, but it's there. To say that it's gone is completely brushing it off. I'd also argue that the 4th is currently the most violated and weakened amendment that people care about. 9th and 10th are also in the same vein of being violated but I think people are ok with that to varying degrees. Basically, people don't get up in arms about it anymore, civil war emphatically put a lot of it to bed and it's gone on from there.

First amendment I think is the one (except for some of those damn crazy kids in college, not all but some) that pretty much everyone can agree with, easily the best written and best amendment.

2nd, 3rd, and 7th are stuck in the 1700s, you should be allowed to own guns but I'd like to see the regulation part greatly strengthened. Lol at using houses to host troops anymore, and the 7th is almost like a tack on of 5 and 6.

5th is easily alive and well, look how often it's used in congressional hearings

6th is still pretty solid IMO, and also IMO as well written as the 1st.

Southern Poverty Law Center has had some fantastic material about new debtors prisons, excessive fines and fees, and cycles of poverty and jail because of the way the system fleeces people.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Bqqkie Pimp

• qoEMAW ambassador
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • qoEMAW's official representative to goEMAW
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2020, 08:24:07 AM »
https://twitter.com/EddieZipperer/status/1250756050313232385

Rights??!?!  You mean Americans aren't just supposed to surrender all their rights?!?!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

bears are fast...

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2020, 08:29:12 AM »
They call that a Whitmer