Author Topic: Replacing Well Pump  (Read 1548 times)

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Replacing Well Pump
« on: April 08, 2016, 11:16:39 AM »
Looking to replace my submersible well pump. I'll use my well for lawn sprinkler system, wash cars, etc. only. Outside stuff.
Has anyone ever attempted to do this? Is it something a DIY'er can handle?
I got estimates to get it done from $1900-$3000+.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline Fedor

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: Replacing Well Pump
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2016, 11:37:38 AM »
Looking to replace my submersible well pump. I'll use my well for lawn sprinkler system, wash cars, etc. only. Outside stuff.
Emo might have some info for you.  But at that price they might be quoting a new casing and all.  You are just replacing the pump correct?
I was wrong and I apologize. - michigancat 8/22/14

Offline Tobias

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • hypoclique lieutenant
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2016, 11:47:27 AM »
one grundfos menudo pump, plz

Offline HerrSonntag

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2016, 12:33:07 PM »
When replacements concern very expensive parts (like $1k+ pumps) i generally am of the thought that you should let a professional replace it and if at all possible, observe the process.  Even if you can't observe, still let them give it a go-over once.  The reason is to make sure you have a working best-practice setup as a foundation.  Make sure to mention to the guy (or gal) "Hey, if you see anything the previous owners rigged together let me know and we might want to replace that too"

Small dumb things that just take experience to know can affect your millage greatly.  On this specific example, my Dad and I, when i was in high school through college had to replace the wastewater lift into the city line 3 times.  It is an awful job (use your imagination) and cost us $500 per pump and another $100 for rental equipment, plus whatever the clothes i'd have to burn afterwards cost.  I get my dad's "I don't need to pay someone to fix that, i can do it on the cheap!" mentallity for sure, but the first time it broke after he passed, my Mom just hired someone to replace it.  The guy said the 1-way valve was missing, so the pump had to repump water that would fall back out of the line and thus work twice as hard.  A cheap fix that would have saved us most if not all of those experiences.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2016, 01:11:46 PM »
Emo might have some info for you.  But at that price they might be quoting a new casing and all.  You are just replacing the pump correct?

Replacing pump and adding a larger holding tank. And replacing lines to/from well to house. Not replacing the casing.

Yeah, a little research says that a new 1 1/2 HP pump is about $700-$900 and a new holding tank $400ish. Top of the line stuff, though.
Youtube videos make it look easy, but I just didn't know.

Thanks for the info everyone.
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2016, 02:29:54 PM »
Do you know how deep your well is? If not, it might be here: http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Magellan/WaterWell/

A pump and lines get awfully heavy if you have a deep well...

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2016, 02:59:43 PM »
The guy that came out and looked at it said wells in my area are about 120 ft deep.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2016, 03:06:58 PM »
Do you know how deep your well is? If not, it might be here: http://www.kgs.ku.edu/Magellan/WaterWell/

A pump and lines get awfully heavy if you have a deep well...

That's a cool friggin map!
My well isn't on there, but there are a couple that are in my neighborhood. Looks like between 70 and 100 feet deep.

Offline EMAWican

• Katpak'r
  • 'Murica
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2016, 03:11:11 PM »
The guy that came out and looked at it said wells in my area are about 120 ft deep.

That's not bad, but I'd suggest you have another person to help pull it if you can, especially when you have to lift it out of the water to the surface (no buoyancy to help).

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2016, 03:12:12 PM »

I don't think you don't want to wash your car with well water. Lotta minerals in that water.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2016, 03:29:12 PM »

I don't think you don't want to wash your car with well water. Lotta minerals in that water.

Good point. But I'd use it for lawn, garden, driveway, etc.

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2016, 03:33:54 PM »
Please update this thread when you get the repairs done. 

I have a well that cycles the pump too much and then stops working for a few minutes then starts working again.  Anyone have an idea about what's causing this problem?

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2016, 06:33:15 PM »
I had no idea so many people have wells. I thought they were like just for hayseeds that can't get city water
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2016, 07:01:06 PM »
Here in Raleigh area, tons of city houses have their own wells. Realtors always point it out and ten act like its no big deal. Similar to pointing out major racks in foundation not being a big deal.
Get me city water, or I'm getting a different realtor.

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline Spracne

• Point Plank'r
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Scholar/Gentleman, But Super Earthy/Organic
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 09, 2016, 11:29:56 PM »
Please pass the brie and skoal mint (short cut) s'il vous plait

Offline Bloodfart

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I don't run out of gas.
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 09, 2016, 11:59:48 PM »
You guys it's just for the yard. SMDH

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2016, 07:59:30 AM »
Well water is too good for the yard, they now require reclaimed water for that!

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 11, 2016, 11:48:18 AM »
Well water is too good for the yard, they now require reclaimed water for that!

I love having a well for irrigation. It kicks so much ass.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 11, 2016, 04:19:52 PM »
Yeah, my house is on city water, so the well would just be for irrigation, garden, etc.

Now I'm thinking I probably won't be doing anything with the well until the fall.