Author Topic: sfa 27, kstate 54 (sfa wins the 2015-2016 kenpom)  (Read 10211 times)

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
Re: sfa 50, kstate 48
« Reply #25 on: March 03, 2016, 10:18:53 PM »
https://twitter.com/byberkowitz/status/705600782444445698

46, 43!

How SFU been rolling as of late (last 6 gams), Brad is going to break 40 in kenpom and have a third straight year of improving.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 03, 2016, 11:48:16 PM »
Just you classic 50 point win by Brad. If our AD had any sense he would back channeling a deal in principle. It is really insane what Brad is currently doing.

just a 40 point mov, unfortunately.  good enough to move up to 46, but not good enough to catch the 43rd ranked wildcats.  one game left for each squad in conference play, but of course no one wins a kenpom in the regular season.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 04, 2016, 06:30:15 AM »
What's better?  Weber's motion offense or Underwood's continuous motion offense? 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 04, 2016, 06:35:15 AM »
FYI SFA is typically in the top 5 in APG.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2016, 07:11:20 AM »
I think it's pretty clear that Brad can coach the crap out of good basketball players.  Is there any indication that shows he can recruit at a high level in the big 12?  That is my only concern.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2016, 08:55:44 AM »

I think it's pretty clear that Brad can coach the crap out of good basketball players.  Is there any indication that shows he can recruit at a high level in the big 12?  That is my only concern.

It's a legit concern. He would need to find 2-3 really good assistants that can recruit. I think he could.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2016, 09:04:30 AM »

FYI SFA is typically in the top 5 in APG.

In 3 years, nearly 2/3 of SFA's made shots are assisted. Top 11 every year.

His offense is really good. Constant moment and lots of opportunity to set up 2 man games.

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2016, 12:50:39 PM »
Brad has started luring 3 stars to SFA, which is at least like 4 stars here. I think the energy he would bring to the program/recruiting would be greater than anything we've seen since Huggy.
Maybe, I'm too optimistic on that score.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 04, 2016, 01:19:10 PM »
he's happy to wade into the aau stuff.  he's not one of those head coaches that thinks he's too good for their crap and sends asst coaches off to do all the interacting.  i think he'd do fine.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 04, 2016, 01:37:30 PM »

It's a legit concern. He would need to find 2-3 really good assistants that can recruit. I think he could.
I said this in another thread, but the ability of oscar and his staff to recruit enough talent to be a top half of the conference team has completely eliminated recruiting as a question for Brad in my mind. 

Even if Brad doesn't have any recruits he believes are P5 to bring with him it's not like oscar did either (after 15+ years straight as a HC in one of the best bb states in the country :curse:).  After 3 years at SFA I trust Brad knows at least a couple of guys from the Texas AAU scene to do what AB3 has done.   

Finally, Brad himself has Florida connections and it would be nice to get in on some of the Sunrise kids. 

I guess what I am saying is I will eat my hat if Brad can't replicate what oscar has done.  I suppose one thing oscar can do is drop Deron Williams name but I doubt any recruits care about what oscar did at Illinois when they were 5 or 6 years old.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 04, 2016, 01:40:10 PM »
he's happy to wade into the aau stuff.  he's not one of those head coaches that thinks he's too good for their crap and sends asst coaches off to do all the interacting.  i think he'd do fine.

Brad is in good standing with MoKan and that would be huge. He has a strong relationship with Sunrise and Erik Pastrana is tight with KC Run GMC. Now where I don't think recruiting locally in a good strategy for Kansas State. Being able to steal some good players to round out a roster would be a huge plus.

I also think Brad is smart enough to understand that at Kansas State you need to build an elite staff of recruiters. I think he already has an up and comer in Pastrana.

I also think this year is Brads best coaching job. Losing Jacob Parker really hurt them. He really let him stretch a defense. Brad made big strides defensively this year.

Brad's pin wheel offense produces a lot of cheap baskets and you top that with how his defenses turn people over you get a high 2fg%, stops offensive droughts. The big key is landing bigs that are a little more skilled that can knock down some threes and a corner elbow shot.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 04, 2016, 01:40:26 PM »
to oscar's credit that is exactly what he did with AB3.  I am sure oscar rationalizes it in his head that Brooks is part of a "famous basketball family" but I don't think oscar had the half the relationship with AB3 that Hugs did with Te500k.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 04, 2016, 01:41:39 PM »
to oscar's credit that is exactly what he did with AB3.  I am sure oscar rationalizes it in his head that Brooks is part of a "famous basketball family" but I don't think oscar had the half the relationship with AB3 that Hugs did with Te500k.

The whole blah blah can't recruit is rough ridin' stupid. Build a staff that can, that is all it takes.

Offline Trim

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Pfizer PLUS Moderna and now Pfizer Bivalent
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 04, 2016, 01:46:53 PM »
Not that any of this is happening but would be lol to see how the new guys deal w/spradling's little local aau operation.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 04, 2016, 01:47:08 PM »

The whole blah blah can't recruit is rough ridin' stupid. Build a staff that can, that is all it takes.
Absolutely, Wooldridge was likely going to recruit well enough to at least meet our fan-base's crap expectations had he been allowed to keep Salinas around.  Jim's bank account might have eventually been worse off in the long run tho.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 04, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »

Additional positives:

He's recruited at this level
He's recruited this region

It's not like he's going to Socon AAU tourneys. He knows the same coaches and players he would need to know at a higher level.

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 04, 2016, 06:37:38 PM »
I'm sold.  Let's hire Brad immediately.  Weber can be DOBO and finally give the schedule makers what they have coming to them.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 04, 2016, 07:39:44 PM »
I'm sold.  Let's hire Brad immediately.  Weber can be DOBO and finally give the schedule makers what they have coming to them.
The key would be to keep Chester. Weber can go wherever.

Offline Boondock Poonhound

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 04, 2016, 08:48:00 PM »

Brad is in good standing with MoKan and that would be huge. He has a strong relationship with Sunrise and Erik Pastrana is tight with KC Run GMC. Now where I don't think recruiting locally in a good strategy for Kansas State. Being able to steal some good players to round out a roster would be a huge plus.

I also think Brad is smart enough to understand that at Kansas State you need to build an elite staff of recruiters. I think he already has an up and comer in Pastrana.

I also think this year is Brads best coaching job. Losing Jacob Parker really hurt them. He really let him stretch a defense. Brad made big strides defensively this year.

Brad's pin wheel offense produces a lot of cheap baskets and you top that with how his defenses turn people over you get a high 2fg%, stops offensive droughts. The big key is landing bigs that are a little more skilled that can knock down some threes and a corner elbow shot.

HPWOIQ
"He's in Shape !"

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 04, 2016, 09:13:18 PM »
keeping Chet would fine but Coach Samuels would be finer

Offline MadCat

• TIME's Person Of The Year - 2006
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 04, 2016, 09:47:54 PM »
FWIW, the word of the day in my Words with Friends app is 'UNDERWOOD'.

Offline Mixed-Nutz

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Square
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 04, 2016, 09:48:06 PM »
keeping Chet would fine but Coach Samuels would be finer
Or Kim English he deserves the EMAW.   :fatty:

Offline wetwillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 04, 2016, 09:55:13 PM »
Mike Boynton Jr and Pastrana are already on staff at SFA.  Bring those two and retain Chet.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2016, 10:07:06 PM »
chet seems like a dumbass.  i'd prefer he not be kept.

Offline TownieCat

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • I have no rhythm.
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 04, 2016, 10:32:15 PM »
chet seems like a dumbass.  i'd prefer he not be kept.
Explain yourself.