Author Topic: A post oscar future  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
A post oscar future
« on: February 06, 2016, 11:57:19 AM »
Josh Pastner let go at Memphis in next 1-3 yrs. We drop oscar, sign Josh. Who's with me?

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline ksupamplemousse

• Elevate
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: A post oscar future
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2016, 12:12:37 PM »
Josh Pastner let go at Memphis in next 1-3 yrs. We drop oscar, sign Josh. Who's with me?

I know that oscar has taken a toll on your rational faculties lately, but I don't think we should hire another coach that has just been fired for cause. A coach with FEWER credentials than the coach we hired from a similar fate just a few years ago, which was already a pretty unprecedented move. Outside of Tubby Smith and Bob Knight (and apparently oscar Weber), coaches that are fired for performance issues are never hired at the same level of basketball immediately after being let go. They certainly don't get hired at a HIGHER level of basketball competition. This is not a good idea, but I understand that oscar makes us all say crazy things.
This is who I am...I have no problem crying. - Jerome Tang

Online CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2016, 12:44:06 PM »
Josh a decade or so ago, yes.  Now? No way.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2016, 02:01:26 PM »
You guys are right. I'm in a bad place.

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2016, 05:45:36 PM »
Derick MF Hammes

Gonna win 'em all! (using Tapatalk)

Offline scottwildcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2016, 09:33:44 PM »

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2016, 09:36:54 PM »
I wouldn't eff josh pastner with whack-a-doodle's dick
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline dal9

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2016, 09:41:28 PM »
The RoboCoachanator Model 2040-BW Cyborg (used).

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2016, 10:26:24 PM »
If Josh Pastner got fired this season he would receive a $10.7 million buyout, the biggest in college basketball history.

Offline Clevey 2 Times

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2016, 07:11:02 AM »
If Josh Pastner got fired this season he would receive a $10.7 million buyout, the biggest in college basketball history.

Well negotiated buyout Josh.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2016, 07:43:00 PM by Clevey No Mo »

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 07, 2016, 09:08:53 AM »

We'll negotiated buyout Josh.

Do you have a special affinity for losers?

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 07, 2016, 11:17:26 AM »

:sdeek: did pastner make it on to that loser coaches you'd like to have even less than oscar list? bc he absolutely should have.

Offline sleepy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 06, 2016, 09:48:24 PM »

The buyout for Pastner's salary is actually c. $500K.  The $10.7 million is what the school owes him in total salary over the final four years of his contract, which expires at the end of 2020 @ his present salary of approximately $2.65 million per year.  The school owes that if he's fired.  Even then, there is a no mitigation clause in his contract meaning that if he is fired and takes a job making $1 million a year, that new salary does not offset any of the $2.65 million.  He is still owed every penny of that regardless of how much he makes elsewhere.

If Pastner quits--and Memphis fans are doing everything possible to make his life a living hell--the contract is void and Memphis owes nothing.  In two years, attendance has dropped from over 16,000 to around 10,000 and those are mostly no shows.

It also means the AD at Memphis who negotiated this contract is incredibly stupid.

Rumors are that TCU is interested in him.  I hate to beg, but please somebody, anybody, make Pastner an offer he can't refuse.
« Last Edit: March 06, 2016, 09:52:42 PM by sleepy »
Sam Brownback--bringing Kansas values to the nation

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2016, 10:24:37 PM »
Yeah, that's the general clause for any coach; quit, you don't get your money. That being said normally the AD will make a deal with a coach they want to quit. There is no way Pastner is quitting Memphis for TCU, literally none. If Memphis gave him 10.7 mil to quit, he still wouldn't do it. Memphis is a top 25 job, TCU is one of the worst power five jobs.

Offline GregKSU1027

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cats, man
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 06, 2016, 10:47:40 PM »

Is he really a loser if he makes that much bank off of being a loser?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

“He plays for Kansas State. He doesn't play for Will Howard University." -Chris Klieman 10/14/2023

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 06, 2016, 10:49:55 PM »

Is he really a loser if he makes that much bank off of being a loser?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Fantastic point

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2016, 11:30:31 PM »
Weis'ian on the T&C's and possibly the X's and O's. 

No thanks

Offline sleepy

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2016, 11:49:34 AM »
Yeah, that's the general clause for any coach; quit, you don't get your money. That being said normally the AD will make a deal with a coach they want to quit. There is no way Pastner is quitting Memphis for TCU, literally none. If Memphis gave him 10.7 mil to quit, he still wouldn't do it. Memphis is a top 25 job, TCU is one of the worst power five jobs.

What is completely unusual about the contract is that there is no mitigation clause in the event he is fired.  Once fired, no amount of any future salary gets counted against the $10.7 million Memphis owes.  He could take a job making $5 million per year after being fired, and Memphis would still be on the hook for the full $10.7 million.  I've never heard of an coach's contract without that mitigation clause.

His salary is paid by wealthy boosters who are already on the hook.  It's a sunk cost if he stays or is fired.  The boosters do not want to continue to pay his salary and then get stuck paying a new coach's salary.

He is staying because of the $10.7 million, not because any other job being better, worse, or the same. 
Sam Brownback--bringing Kansas values to the nation