Author Topic: Top Ten Head Football Coaches in College Right Now  (Read 13101 times)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Top Ten Head Football Coaches in College Right Now
« Reply #75 on: November 12, 2017, 01:22:14 PM »
Good points.

I thought about dropping Fisher the next tier because of this season, but he still has an impressive run. Its hard to know if this is just an isolated season or not.

I was a bit cautious including coaches that haven't been there more than 3 or 4 years, ie. Fleck, Smart, Campbell.

I can see including Chryst (Wiscy coach) at least in the consider category.
I understand but its not the same as it was in hell even the late 2000's look at frost for example, he took a team that was winless just a couple of years ago and is undefeated and headed to florida now. he will get 2-3 years and if he isn't successful he will be fired. there really isn't a lot of longevity in coaching with all these young guys. that why id love a hire like stoops/kelly/venables guys like that will put together a good staff and when they move on or actually retire hopefully you can promote from within (could be posted in this thread or the terrible ksu coaches thread but the point still stands)

I can't tell if you are trolling here....are you suggesting KSU can hire Stoops and/or Kelly...guys who will "put together a good staff" for when they move on?  I'm no sure why you would rule out hiring Saban or Meyer.  They would be at the top of my list if i were in your shoes.  Seems like you are settling for a Stoops or Kelly.

I think my earlier posts about expectations were pretty spot on.  You are going to be soooo disappointed with whoever we hire.
youre right my expectations shouldn't be high, I mean hell we shouldn't even make the phone call.  lets just hire another prince and see what happens. get the kleenex ready mommas gonna need them

You can set your expectations as high as you want....that's your choice and you are the one that looks/sounds ridiculous.  You're probably the first person to bitch that we don't have a slew of 5 star recruits every class.  I love laughing at the tards on the phog thinking they could/can hire Harbaugh but the reality is we have the same types of fans....every fan base does I guess.
so everyone that wants venzy is unrealistic? I'm sure you are a sean supporter and thats fine but to act and to continue to act like we are still in 1989 is ridiculous we have a solid following with great facilities and direct flights right into town, I know what our limitations are but that doesn't mean we can't exceed them or at least rough ridin' try to

You gave 3 names...Venzy is the only one that is even a possibility.  Don't change your stance now slim....the phog needs posts to laugh at too.
im not changing my stance what so ever, if you don't think a phone call needs to be placed to at least stoops then you are crazy. will he say no? most likely but you still make the phone call. I am having a hard time figuring out why you can't grasp this concept

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: November 12, 2017, 01:26:47 PM »
This guy said something about ksu football in his wedding vows. Lol what a nerd

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: November 12, 2017, 01:28:11 PM »
This guy said something about ksu football in his wedding vows. Lol what a nerd

Yes this makes me a MUCH bigger loser than my expectations for KSU football.

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: November 12, 2017, 01:29:54 PM »
It really does

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: November 12, 2017, 01:39:58 PM »
I need to update this list.  Obviously, Dabo needs to move up a tier and with Stoop and Miles out of the game (for now) others can move into their spots.

fun fact: Dabo was never an offensive or defensive coordinator in his career

I said this on KSO last week and they wanted to fight me.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: November 12, 2017, 01:44:03 PM »
Frank Solich was never a coordinator before he took over for Tom either.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: November 12, 2017, 02:13:58 PM »
Saban is LHC Bill Snyder if LHC Bill Snyder would have landed at a blue blood rather than kstate

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #82 on: November 12, 2017, 02:31:47 PM »
Actually, Bill is a slightly less successfiul Frank Beamer.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: November 12, 2017, 02:53:42 PM »

Switch their jobs.

My biggest Bill critique is how lazy he's ALWAYS been with recruiting. I don't think recruiting here is an impossibility but you have to be willing to work at it. He's always thought his program culture could overcome getting outworked in recruiting. Beamer didn't have to do much to get Vick, that made getting Tyrod Taylor easier. Beamer built that program off of kids from eastern Virginia.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
  • Corndogs Jackie! Corndogs for all these people!
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: November 12, 2017, 02:55:20 PM »
The idea that K-State couldn’t get Stoops or Kelly because we’re K-State is absurd. We are a Power 5 team with a lot of good qualities. Stoops would most likely say no but it’s not because of us, he just simply seems like he’s happy not coaching again. And I’m sure Kelly might say no too, but only because he could get offered a job a tier above us. If he wants to coach again and we were the only ones offering he would 100% come here. Every AD makes a list and works from the top down. You put names like Stoops and Kelly on there. Dont compare what kslim said to offering Saban or Meyer. Take a rough ridin' lap WB

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: November 12, 2017, 02:57:04 PM »

Switch their jobs.

My biggest Bill critique is how lazy he's ALWAYS been with recruiting. I don't think recruiting here is an impossibility but you have to be willing to work at it. He's always thought his program culture could overcome getting outworked in recruiting. Beamer didn't have to do much to get Vick, that made getting Tyrod Taylor easier. Beamer built that program off of kids from eastern Virginia.

The offense than ran with Vick was dumb as hell btw. Should’ve been adopting those early spread concepts for his talents.

Offline Whisker Biscuit

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: November 12, 2017, 04:02:03 PM »
The idea that K-State couldn’t get Stoops or Kelly because we’re K-State is absurd. We are a Power 5 team with a lot of good qualities. Stoops would most likely say no but it’s not because of us, he just simply seems like he’s happy not coaching again. And I’m sure Kelly might say no too, but only because he could get offered a job a tier above us. If he wants to coach again and we were the only ones offering he would 100% come here. Every AD makes a list and works from the top down. You put names like Stoops and Kelly on there. Dont compare what kslim said to offering Saban or Meyer. Take a rough ridin' lap WB

This is fantastic.  Very nice work DOD.

Offline Pete

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • T-Shirt KSU Football Fan, Loves Lawrence and KU
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: November 12, 2017, 06:54:22 PM »

You think OUR AD put names like that on the list?!?

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: November 12, 2017, 07:16:22 PM »

I think Taylor has only one name on his list. The one he's been told to put there.

Offline DOD Take 2

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: November 12, 2017, 08:05:43 PM »

I think Taylor has only one name on his list. The one he's been told to put there.

I’m not saying he did but he should

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: November 12, 2017, 08:45:20 PM »

I’m not saying he did but he should

Don't let them beat you down, none of us have a single clue as to who or what Gene Taylor's hiring practices will be. You're a fan, it's perfectly okay, actually preferable to dream big.

Online michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: November 12, 2017, 09:00:55 PM »
Didn't he hire Craig Bohl? Not saying it's exactly predictive, but it does provide SOME insight

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: November 12, 2017, 09:18:33 PM »
Didn't he hire Craig Bohl? Not saying it's exactly predictive, but it does provide SOME insight

I guess. I mean getting Nebraska's DC is as good as anyone at NDSU could hope for so we know that he's aimed high before. Little different ballgame at a P5 though.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #93 on: January 02, 2018, 11:51:06 AM »
OK back on topic.  Here is a pool to start with:

Coaches with multiple nat'l titles:
Nick Saban (at least 5)
Urban Meyer (3)

Coaches with 1 nat'l title:
Dabo Swinney
Jimbo Fisher

Coaches who have played for the title/been in the playoffs:
Kirby Smart
Gus Malzhan
Brian Kelly
Lincoln Riley
Chip Kelly (welcome back!)
Chris Petersen

Coaches with multiple conference titles (3+):
David Shaw
Mark Dantonio

At least 1 conference title and multiple 10+ win seasons (4+):
Mark Richt
Gary Paterson
LHC Bill Snyder
Kirk Ferentz
Mike Gundy

Rising Stars (quick turnaround + conference champ within first five years of coaching):
James Franklin
Scott Frost*

Other possible candidates (coached who are well regarded but never won anything of relevance)
Jim Harbaugh
Paul Chryst
Kyle Whittingham
Mike Leach

I am probably missing someone obvious, but this is a pretty good pool.  If I had to rank today I would have the following order:

*impressive turnaround, but not at P5 school...

1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer
3. Dabo Swinney
4. Chip Kelly
5. David Shaw
6. Jimbo Fisher
7. Mark Dantonio
8. Chris Petersen
9. James Franklin
10.  Mark Richt

Too soon for me tell on Smart and Lincoln.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: January 02, 2018, 12:24:20 PM »
i'm so jealous of Nebraska fans right now.  impossible to not like Scott Frost, and they'll have him for a long time, and he'll get them back to national relevance imo.

Offline manpow5

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: January 02, 2018, 12:26:01 PM »
i'm so jealous of Nebraska fans right now.  impossible to not like Scott Frost, and they'll have him for a long time, and he'll get them back to national relevance imo.

As much as it pains me to say it... I really like Frost and he will win Nubbs another Natty... after watching that UCF game the other day I cannot hate him...

To EMAW or Not to EMAW

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #96 on: January 02, 2018, 12:27:53 PM »
He's far too inconsistent, but when he has his teams playing their best Gus is almost unbeatable and superfun to watch.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #97 on: January 02, 2018, 12:30:15 PM »

As much as it pains me to say it... I really like Frost and he will win Nubbs another Natty... after watching that UCF game the other day I cannot hate him...
I would bet against it, but you never know.  Nub has a large number of programs just in their conference they need to pass.

Offline meow meow

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: January 02, 2018, 12:47:20 PM »

I would bet against it, but you never know.  Nub has a large number of programs just in their conference they need to pass.

maybe tbut their division is still just Wisconsin.  Fleck might get Minnesota going, Iowa is a program like K-State, that's about it.  Hard to believe UCF went from 0-12 to 13-0 in just 2 seasons, that's insane.  feel bad for steve dave, NU fans are going to be annoying af again.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: January 02, 2018, 02:12:46 PM »
OK back on topic.  Here is a pool to start with:

Coaches with multiple nat'l titles:
Nick Saban (at least 5)
Urban Meyer (3)

Coaches with 1 nat'l title:
Dabo Swinney
Jimbo Fisher

Coaches who have played for the title/been in the playoffs:
Kirby Smart
Gus Malzhan
Brian Kelly
Lincoln Riley
Chip Kelly (welcome back!)
Chris Petersen

Coaches with multiple conference titles (3+):
David Shaw
Mark Dantonio

At least 1 conference title and multiple 10+ win seasons (4+):
Mark Richt
Gary Paterson
LHC Bill Snyder
Kirk Ferentz
Mike Gundy

Rising Stars (quick turnaround + conference champ within first five years of coaching):
James Franklin
Scott Frost*

Other possible candidates (coached who are well regarded but never won anything of relevance)
Jim Harbaugh
Paul Chryst
Kyle Whittingham
Mike Leach

I am probably missing someone obvious, but this is a pretty good pool.  If I had to rank today I would have the following order:

*impressive turnaround, but not at P5 school...

1. Nick Saban
2. Urban Meyer
3. Dabo Swinney
4. Chip Kelly
5. David Shaw
6. Jimbo Fisher
7. Mark Dantonio
8. Chris Petersen
9. James Franklin
10.  Mark Richt

Too soon for me tell on Smart and Lincoln.

No way on Chip Kelly. Guy was a head coach only four years, there were players in that program longer than he was the head coach. It's also worth noting he took over a ready made winner. He clearly has an innovative football mind, and he may kill it at UCLA, (he won't come close to his success at Oregon IMO) but his grade as a head coach has to be incomplete.