Author Topic: What ISIS really wants.  (Read 3549 times)

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
What ISIS really wants.
« on: November 19, 2015, 08:29:45 AM »
This article is an extremely informative read. It is a bit lengthy, but it covers why ISIS is doing what it is doing and why certain strategies against them have failed so miserably.

http://www.theatlantic.com/magazine/archive/2015/03/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: What ISIS really wants.
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2015, 08:32:06 AM »
Are you lauding isis?
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2015, 08:35:28 AM »
Are you lauding isis?

Definitely not. Some of the things that they want, or that they are required to do so they are not considered an apostate, are unsettling and to a degree horrifying. I suggest you take the time to read the article to inform yourself about the reality of ISIS' goals and commitment to terror and jihad.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2015, 08:39:14 AM »
Sounds like you're an isis apologist

Offline Yard Dog

• Baller on a Budget
  • Katpak'r
  • I am DC Cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2015, 09:07:08 AM »

That is founded on nothing. I do not support ISIS. I don't know why you refuse to read and comment on the article unless you would prefer to stay ignorant about the real threat that ISIS poses. That is your right, but as long as you choose to remain ignorant your arguments on the subject matter are null and void to me.   

Offline OK_Cat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hey
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 19, 2015, 09:19:05 AM »
Yard dog in Muslim means ISIS lover

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2015, 09:20:36 AM »
Does this article cover the difference between ISIS and ISIL?  I will read it if it does.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2015, 09:21:40 AM »
Luked. Discussed at length here: http://goEMAW.com/forum/index.php?topic=34250.msg1316921#msg1316921

http://www.theatlantic.com/features/archive/2015/02/what-isis-really-wants/384980/

long
very interesting read.

good link.
Yes, thanks for posting.

Ok, so now that you've all read an article in The Atlantic, you all agree with me that not all religions are equally peaceful and Islam is a significant factor in terrorism? We're done with the "because geography" and "because too little (or too much) resources and trade" arguments? Welcome aboard.  :cheers:

We are misled in a second way, by a well-intentioned but dishonest campaign to deny the Islamic State’s medieval religious nature. Peter Bergen, who produced the first interview with bin Laden in 1997, titled his first book Holy War, Inc. in part to acknowledge bin Laden as a creature of the modern secular world. Bin Laden corporatized terror and franchised it out. He requested specific political concessions, such as the withdrawal of U.S. forces from Saudi Arabia. His foot soldiers navigated the modern world confidently. On Mohammad Atta’s last full day of life, he shopped at Walmart and ate dinner at Pizza Hut.

There is a temptation to rehearse this observation—that jihadists are modern secular people, with modern political concerns, wearing medieval religious disguise—and make it fit the Islamic State. In fact, much of what the group does looks nonsensical except in light of a sincere, carefully considered commitment to returning civilization to a seventh-century legal environment, and ultimately to bringing about the apocalypse.

The most-articulate spokesmen for that position are the Islamic State’s officials and supporters themselves. They refer derisively to “moderns.” In conversation, they insist that they will not—cannot—waver from governing precepts that were embedded in Islam by the Prophet Muhammad and his earliest followers. They often speak in codes and allusions that sound odd or old-fashioned to non-Muslims, but refer to specific traditions and texts of early Islam.

To take one example: In September, Sheikh Abu Muhammad al-Adnani, the Islamic State’s chief spokesman, called on Muslims in Western countries such as France and Canada to find an infidel and “smash his head with a rock,” poison him, run him over with a car, or “destroy his crops.” To Western ears, the biblical-sounding punishments—the stoning and crop destruction—juxtaposed strangely with his more modern-sounding call to vehicular homicide. (As if to show that he could terrorize by imagery alone, Adnani also referred to Secretary of State John Kerry as an “uncircumcised geezer.”)

But Adnani was not merely talking trash. His speech was laced with theological and legal discussion, and his exhortation to attack crops directly echoed orders from Muhammad to leave well water and crops alone—unless the armies of Islam were in a defensive position, in which case Muslims in the lands of kuffar, or infidels, should be unmerciful, and poison away.

The reality is that the Islamic State is Islamic. Very Islamic. Yes, it has attracted psychopaths and adventure seekers, drawn largely from the disaffected populations of the Middle East and Europe. But the religion preached by its most ardent followers derives from coherent and even learned interpretations of Islam.

These people are simply following the literal teachings of the founder of their religion, a conquering warlord. Anybody still want to argue whether the world would be a far better place if these same people followed the literal teachings of Jesus instead?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2015, 09:22:43 AM »
Does this article cover the difference between ISIS and ISIL?  I will read it if it does.

That's a good question. I will ask OK Cat to read it and let me know.  If it does, I will then let you know.
@lopakman

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2015, 09:31:16 AM »

That's a good question. I will ask OK Cat to read it and let me know.  If it does, I will then let you know.

It's the same thing. ISIL is what people say when they're trying to sound smarter than you because almost everybody else says ISIS. If you really want to sound smart, the newest trend is "DAESH." Again, same group. Same with "Pockeeston." See Obama.

I think Edna's been busting out DAESH around here, and he is really proud of himself.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2015, 09:35:32 AM by K-S-U-Wildcats! »
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2015, 09:42:26 AM »

It's the same thing. ISIL is what people say when they're trying to sound smarter than you because almost everybody else says ISIS. If you really want to sound smart, the newest trend is "DAESH." Again, same group. Same with "Pockeeston." See Obama.

I think Edna's been busting out DAESH around here, and he is really proud of himself.
:love:
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2015, 12:54:40 PM »
This was a good read
http://www.cracked.com/blog/isis-wants-us-to-invade-7-facts-revealed-by-their-magazine_p2/

and I found this part enlightening

But the thing that most surprised me was how little I understood their worldview. I didn't realize they hated Iran until I learned the word "rafidah," which kept showing up before "ayatollah." It means "rejector," as in they reject the proper interpretation of scripture. ISIS considers the Iranian regime heretics and lumps them in with the U.S. and Russia as enemies. They even insinuate that former Iranian President Ahmadinejad is a puppet of Israel.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 19, 2015, 01:08:04 PM »
edn's link arguing that people should call isis daesh was probably the best thing he's ever posted.  i was convinced by the argument, but haven't switched over because i'm not sure people would know what i'm referencing if i used daesh.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 19, 2015, 01:28:41 PM »
edn's link arguing that people should call isis daesh was probably the best thing he's ever posted.  i was convinced by the argument, but haven't switched over because i'm not sure people would know what i'm referencing if i used daesh.
gotta start somewhere and spread

I also wanted to toss this out there, since I know most will reject this on face, but ideologically, doesn't Daesh mirror some of the motives from the radical Christian right for supporting the creation of Israel.  (think end game)
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline EllRobersonisInnocent

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2015, 08:11:39 PM »

That is founded on nothing. I do not support ISIS. I don't know why you refuse to read and comment on the article unless you would prefer to stay ignorant about the real threat that ISIS poses. That is your right, but as long as you choose to remain ignorant your arguments on the subject matter are null and void to me.

libliblibliblibliblib, how's it feel to have your ass kicked by Yard Dog you ignorant SOB?

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2015, 08:44:17 PM »
gotta start somewhere and spread

I also wanted to toss this out there, since I know most will reject this on face, but ideologically, doesn't Daesh mirror some of the motives from the radical Christian right for supporting the creation of Israel.  (think end game)

Martin Luther wrote something called the Jews and their lies.  So I doubt it.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 28, 2016, 07:15:49 PM »
According to Loretta Lynch and in arab spring.speeches by obama ISIsLicers want love, unity, and compassion.  We must be depiving them.  They blew up 30 people at the Istanbul airport today.  Obama needs to give them more guns as a love gift and preach at anyone one who chastizes them as evil vermin.
« Last Edit: June 28, 2016, 07:40:29 PM by renocat »

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 28, 2016, 07:38:38 PM »
you have to stop.  this is not right.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 28, 2016, 07:55:22 PM »
you have to stop.  this is not right.

Well said.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 28, 2016, 08:34:58 PM »
Time for another CIA arms shipment to get "stolen".

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2016, 03:05:55 PM »
Skinny B, I think you're more comfortable as renocat. What he says makes sense to you, but you just can't say them IRL.

Online star seed 7

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2016, 03:09:16 PM »
Skinny B, I think you're more comfortable as renocat. What he says makes sense to you, but you just can't say them IRL.

I believe this to be true as well

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 29, 2016, 04:39:44 PM »
lol
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2016, 05:36:53 PM »
How can we show love to these slicers?  How about an adopt a terrorist program patterned after a rescue dog adoption program.  Or Peace Corps Syria for lib youthies.  Purging pork from our diets?  Mass hog killings?  What are the possibilities ........