Author Topic: On the topic of offensive coordinators...  (Read 2468 times)

Offline Panjandrum

• 5 o'clock Shadow Enthusiast
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Amateur magician and certified locksmith.
    • View Profile
    • Bring on the Cats [An SB Nation Blog]
On the topic of offensive coordinators...
« on: November 17, 2015, 10:59:56 AM »
I'm in the camp of folks who have been underwhelmed by our offensive play-calling this year, and I know we (including me) have been pretty critical of Dimel, assuming that he's the problem.

However, after Snyder's comments regarding "balance" in the last press conference, I started to wonder; how much of this is really Dimel's fault?

I know that we have Co-Coordinators, and I know that the system is for us to call in one rushing play (Dimel) and one passing play (Miller).  And we know that Miller coaches the QB's, so I'm beginning to ultimately wonder how much of our screwed up QB depth chart has been Miller, and how much blame we really want to place on Dimel.

I know it's fair game to poke at Dana for using his son, ineffectively, this year.  That's completely valid.  But how much of this can we lay at Miller's feet?  He's the one that made a lot of glowing comments to the media about Hubener, he's the one that recruited Ertz, Evridge, and every other weak-armed white midwestern QB on this roster (Thompson not withstanding).

I guess what I'm wondering is if we're scapegoating Dimel and not giving Miller enough blame.  Also, whether or not just forcing Miller to retire, promoting Klein to QB coach, and letting Dimel run the whole offense would produce a better outcome in 2016.

Just wondering out loud.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)

Offline SkinnyBenny

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • good time rock-n-roll plastic banana FM type
    • View Profile
Re: On the topic of offensive coordinators...
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2015, 11:30:57 AM »
Interesting thought and probably pretty some truth to it, but I can tell you I don't want known loser Dana Dimel anywhere near our offense next year.
"walking around mhk and crying in the rain because of love lost is the absolute purest and best thing in the world.  i hope i fall in love during the next few weeks and get my heart broken and it starts raining just to experience it one last time."   --Dlew12

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2015, 11:50:31 AM »
Interesting thought and probably pretty some truth to it, but I can tell you I don't want known loser Dana Dimel anywhere near our offense next year.

I mean that's fair, and I think Klein probably made our offensive coaches look at lot better than they were.

But he's far from the worst coach.  If I'm looking at realistic chances for improvement next year, in coaching and recruiting, forcing Miller out and moving Klein in, and giving Dana full control of the offense seems like something worth a try.

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2015, 11:56:50 AM »
1st, while they are co-coordinators, Dimel has more say in the design and calling of this offense.

2nd, Dimel and Miller have not shown to be bad coordinators during Snyder 2.0, in fact I'd say they've performed very well.

That said, this is a frustrating and disappointing season and they are part of that.

Online wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2015, 12:00:08 PM »
They can't recruit for crap and that should be enough to get them both fired.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline Panjandrum

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2015, 12:06:27 PM »
1st, while they are co-coordinators, Dimel has more say in the design and calling of this offense.

2nd, Dimel and Miller have not shown to be bad coordinators during Snyder 2.0, in fact I'd say they've performed very well.

That said, this is a frustrating and disappointing season and they are part of that.

I'm a little more concerned about the fact that knowing what we know and seeing what we've seen that Hubener was 2A on the depth chart.  If Dimel was the key decision maker there, I'm fine with heaping a lot of blame towards him.  If that's more on Miller, I seriously question his thought process.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2015, 12:08:43 PM »
It's the system . . . there shall be NO DEVIATION FROM THE SYSTEM!!

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2015, 12:15:18 PM »

I'm a little more concerned about the fact that knowing what we know and seeing what we've seen that Hubener was 2A on the depth chart.  If Dimel was the key decision maker there, I'm fine with heaping a lot of blame towards him.  If that's more on Miller, I seriously question his thought process.

I think he would have quickly become option 3 and he was only 2A because of his experience in the system.

I think Dimel is a decent recruiter, but I agree that Miller doesn't do much. And yeah, some of our older guys deciding to retire wouldn't be a bad thing for recruiting either.

Offline joda

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2015, 12:42:20 PM »
I think most of us have just assumed Miller is OBallin' out with Snyder which is why Dimel catches more heat

Offline wazucat

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2015, 01:14:39 PM »
I think any of our opponents with access to a TV probably line up their D so as to invite Bazooka Joe to check into a pass play, EVERY.F**KING.DOWN

Offline XocolateThundarr

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 17, 2015, 10:16:23 PM »
I am not a fan of either of them.
@mikec2w

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2015, 05:39:43 PM »
It's Bill's fault

Online star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2015, 06:01:33 PM »
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite