Author Topic: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look  (Read 138778 times)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
Re: The Death of Free Speech: Uber PC'ism-A further look
« Reply #700 on: June 02, 2018, 02:57:19 PM »
He just wanted to sound big.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #701 on: June 02, 2018, 02:59:20 PM »
Can I get a ruling from the resident campus free speech outrage brigade?

ferguson resigned, which seems appropriate.  it's hard to know how egregious this is without further information about the speakers program and other campus groups sponsoring speakers at stanford.  if it's the foremost sponsor, receives university funding or student funding and is supposed to invite a broad spectrum of speakers, then it's very bad and stanford needs to do far more than merely sidelining ferguson to ensure that the invitation process represents diverse views.  if it's one of many sponsors and other sponsors are dedicated to presenting other views, then it's not really a problem.

just from the name, cardinal conversations, it sounds more like the former, but that's obviously an incredibly superficial background from which to judge.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline bubbles4ksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Son of Pete
    • View Profile
« Reply #702 on: June 02, 2018, 03:06:13 PM »
damn, the right considers it a victory when they can hold an event on campus and not get physically de-platformed

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #703 on: June 03, 2018, 10:57:20 AM »
damn, the right considers it a victory when they can hold an event on campus and not get physically de-platformed

Alt right

Offline Kat Kid

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #704 on: June 03, 2018, 09:36:25 PM »

I’m glad Niall Ferguson decided to take responsibility for needing to “grow up” after his emails were leaked.  Susan Rice’s son is the student ring leader behind this? I guess the next generation is ready and waiting.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #705 on: June 05, 2018, 10:03:11 AM »
Is oppo research the same as threatening violence and shutting down speeches of those the increasingly intolerant ProgLeft disagrees with? 

We believe in open discussion and speech . . . as long as we approve. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #706 on: June 05, 2018, 03:06:17 PM »
as no-platforming goes, not inviting anyone you disagree with to speak is probably quite a bit more effective than acting like dumbasses anytime anyone you disagree with is speaking.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #707 on: June 05, 2018, 03:09:00 PM »
as no-platforming goes, not inviting anyone you disagree with to speak is probably quite a bit more effective than acting like dumbasses anytime anyone you disagree with is speaking.

A community of ideas . . . as they're ideas that we agree with.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #708 on: June 05, 2018, 03:14:50 PM »

this is why no one will engage with you - you don't have the mental capacity to follow an argument.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #709 on: June 05, 2018, 03:28:13 PM »

this is why no one will engage with you - you don't have the mental capacity to follow an argument.

What is the "argument" sys?   Try to gurgle out something semi-coherent.  Can you list a college campus of any relevance that's a no-platforming campus?

Is a no-platforming campus a good educational environment?   

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #710 on: June 05, 2018, 03:36:13 PM »
Sys, do university groups and leaders ever use no platforming as a way to quell free speech and open debate?

Thanks for getting on this one, sys. 

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #712 on: June 05, 2018, 06:13:27 PM »
https://quillette.com/2018/06/05/high-price-stale-grievances/

interesting essay.

If you have benefitted from 300 years of holding people in servitude, thinking that you did it all on your own…”Why can’t these people work harder?” Let me see…for 300 years you ain’t had no job! So the reality is for 300 years you hold people in the bands…you refuse to give them rights. Then all of a sudden, you ‘free’ them and say, “You’re now individuals.”

The fact the above quote went over the writer's head is sad.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #714 on: June 06, 2018, 05:55:59 AM »
What’s the “argument” sys?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #715 on: June 06, 2018, 12:17:23 PM »
https://quillette.com/2018/06/05/high-price-stale-grievances/

interesting essay.

what did you find interesting?

i'll have to reread to answer.  i'll do so later today or tomorrow.  right now i don't have a ton of internet time and and what i have i want to allocate to election crap.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #716 on: June 06, 2018, 02:58:31 PM »

so, starting from the beginning.

1.  author is an undergrad and is performing on tv.  he's either a fantastic writer for a musician or a fantastic musician for an undergraduate essayist.
2.  photo of coates, plus later criticism of coates.  echoes the article by mcwhorter.  if i was going to pick out someone to personify what i find unuseful, illogical or dishonest about identity politics, coates would be about infinity -1 on my list.  so it's interesting to me in a half-gossipy sort of way that two black writers went after him hard.
3.  the racial/ethnic composition of performance artists.  actually, i think more interesting than the author's discussion of for which ethnicities it may be allowed and for which it may not be, is the idea that it is de facto allowed for everybody if they just don't talk about it.  if it becomes known that it is a deliberate artistic choice, it (may) engender controversy.  which is sorta backwards, imo.
4.  what i would identify as the central theme - to what extent, if any, is it ethical/logical to treat individuals differently based on group histories?  i don't think this is an easy issue, and i thought the author treated it with insight and honesty (i also think coates does).

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #717 on: June 06, 2018, 03:00:01 PM »
If you have benefitted from 300 years of holding people in servitude, thinking that you did it all on your own…”Why can’t these people work harder?” Let me see…for 300 years you ain’t had no job! So the reality is for 300 years you hold people in the bands…you refuse to give them rights. Then all of a sudden, you ‘free’ them and say, “You’re now individuals.”

The fact the above quote went over the writer's head is sad.

it self-evidently did not go over the author's head.  he disagreed with the premise, which is not at all the same thing.

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #718 on: June 06, 2018, 04:05:22 PM »
@sys

It's not that hard to find black writers who disagree with Coates (from different side of the political spectrum)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/17/ta-nehisi-coates-neoliberal-black-struggle-cornel-west

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #719 on: June 06, 2018, 04:33:45 PM »
I found the article interesting because it's touching on the same issue we were discussing over the last couple weeks:

Though we have not consistently lived up to the principle, liberal democracies decided long ago that the individual was to be the primary unit of moral concern and responsibility. What happened to your parents, grandparents, or fellow tribe members is supposed to be left at the door when it comes time to judge your actions. We do not give Jewish writers free rein to incite hatred against German people because the former’s grandparents were murdered by the latter’s. As tempting as such temporal displacements of justice might be, we’ve learned that indulging them creates an unending cycle of retributive violations.

You can agree or disagree with that sentiment, but it's pretty on the nose as far as the discourse in this thread is concerned.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #720 on: June 06, 2018, 04:38:07 PM »

so, starting from the beginning.

1.  author is an undergrad and is performing on tv.  he's either a fantastic writer for a musician or a fantastic musician for an undergraduate essayist.
2.  photo of coates, plus later criticism of coates.  echoes the article by mcwhorter.  if i was going to pick out someone to personify what i find unuseful, illogical or dishonest about identity politics, coates would be about infinity -1 on my list.  so it's interesting to me in a half-gossipy sort of way that two black writers went after him hard.
3.  the racial/ethnic composition of performance artists.  actually, i think more interesting than the author's discussion of for which ethnicities it may be allowed and for which it may not be, is the idea that it is de facto allowed for everybody if they just don't talk about it.  if it becomes known that it is a deliberate artistic choice, it (may) engender controversy.  which is sorta backwards, imo.
4.  what i would identify as the central theme - to what extent, if any, is it ethical/logical to treat individuals differently based on group histories?  i don't think this is an easy issue, and i thought the author treated it with insight and honesty (i also think coates does).

I agree that those topics are interesting but I don't  think he discussed those topics in interesting ways.

I also was wondering if he still played the Rhianna show despite his objection to the racial discrimination

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #721 on: June 06, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »
@sys

It's not that hard to find black writers who disagree with Coates (from different side of the political spectrum)

https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfree/2017/dec/17/ta-nehisi-coates-neoliberal-black-struggle-cornel-west

yeah, i'm aware of cornel west.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #722 on: June 06, 2018, 04:48:21 PM »

I found the article interesting because it's touching on the same issue we were discussing over the last couple weeks:

Though we have not consistently lived up to the principle, liberal democracies decided long ago that the individual was to be the primary unit of moral concern and responsibility. What happened to your parents, grandparents, or fellow tribe members is supposed to be left at the door when it comes time to judge your actions. We do not give Jewish writers free rein to incite hatred against German people because the former’s grandparents were murdered by the latter’s. As tempting as such temporal displacements of justice might be, we’ve learned that indulging them creates an unending cycle of retributive violations.

You can agree or disagree with that sentiment, but it's pretty on the nose as far as the discourse in this thread is concerned.

I don't think it's fair to say Coates is inciting hatred against white people.

Also is this guy claiming Jewish people aren't treated differently based on their history of persecution? Really?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #723 on: June 06, 2018, 04:53:16 PM »
I also was wondering if he still played the Rhianna show despite his objection to the racial discrimination

i thought it was clear that he did, but on rereading i find that he didn't explicitly state that he did.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #724 on: June 06, 2018, 04:58:54 PM »
I don't think it's fair to say Coates is inciting hatred against white people.

No?

"'White America' is a syndicate arrayed to protect its exclusive power to dominate and control our bodies.  Sometimes this power is direct (lynching), and sometimes it is insidious (redlining)"

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]