Author Topic: Too many secrets  (Read 4048 times)

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
Re: Too many secrets
« Reply #25 on: October 22, 2015, 12:45:27 PM »
No way of proving it at all, but I have to think that the atomic bomb has prevented much more loss of life than it ever took, to date.  I mean, if we, and a select few others, didn't have them, I would bet there would have been a lot more war than there already was.   :dunno:

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 22, 2015, 12:46:47 PM »
No blockade or lack of allies was going to make Japan surrender, they were counting on the fear of an invasion so they could sue for peace on much more agreeable terms.   Oh but who cares if a lot of people may have remained enslaved by the Japanese once the war was over, right cRusty?

Plus we wouldn't have all those sweet ass military bases in Japan, like we do now.   Imagine that, U.S. forces "occupying" Japan for six decades now, where's the outrage from Generation Outrage?

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 22, 2015, 12:47:10 PM »
Why in the world shouldn't the atomic bomb have happened?

are you serious?

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Unrepentant traditional emobro
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 22, 2015, 01:03:32 PM »

are you serious?

Absolutely.  It was for sure a net positive.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2015, 01:07:34 PM »

are you serious?

It is absolutely not for sure a net positive. I mean, we incinerated hundreds of thousands of civilians. It's possible that was a positive, but far from definitive. Even if it was a net positive, could we not tell people "we are working on the most destructive weapon known to man" and make sure everyone is OK with it?

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 22, 2015, 01:10:39 PM »
i can't tell if rusty is being contrarian for contrarian's sake or if it's his amazingly rosy view of human nature.  it's certainly not familiarity with history.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 22, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »

are you serious?

It is absolutely not for sure a net positive. I mean, we incinerated hundreds of thousands of civilians. It's possible that was a positive, but far from definitive. Even if it was a net positive, could we not tell people "we are working on the most destructive weapon known to man" and make sure everyone is OK with it?

Well ignoring the first part of your post...

Let's say we did share it...part of the strategy was our enemies believing we had a lot of these devices.  They might still have held fast after the second was dropped if they knew we were spent.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 22, 2015, 01:12:55 PM »

are you serious?

Let's say we did share it...part of the strategy was our enemies believing we had a lot of these devices.  They might still have held fast after the second was dropped if they knew we were spent.

I wasn't suggesting to share the formula or quantity, just let the public know that we were working on it.

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 22, 2015, 01:15:31 PM »
i can't tell if rusty is being contrarian for contrarian's sake or if it's his amazingly rosy view of human nature.  it's certainly not familiarity with history.

Rusty is a firm believer in "if we left them alone, they would leave us alone" when it comes to foreign policy and battling terrorism. I wish that was actually viable
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »

Rusty is a firm believer in "if we left them alone, they would leave us alone" when it comes to foreign policy and battling terrorism. I wish that was actually viable

I'm not even saying that. I just think we do a lot of stupid things under the guise of "protecting sensitive information."

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 22, 2015, 01:19:37 PM »

are you serious?

I wasn't suggesting to share the formula or quantity, just let the public know that we were working on it.

You should read the Art of War.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 22, 2015, 01:20:40 PM »

I'm not even saying that. I just think we do a lot of stupid things under the guise of "protecting sensitive information."

I can agree with you generally, but not in this (Japan/A-bomb) instance.  Maybe focus on other points?  Or maybe it's the arguing that's the fun part. 

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 22, 2015, 01:24:25 PM »

I can agree with you generally, but not in this (Japan/A-bomb) instance.  Maybe focus on other points?  Or maybe it's the arguing that's the fun part.
I also really don't think dropping the atomic bomb is a very good example of classified information being protected. We told anyone who would listen we had the bomb and were ready to use it.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 22, 2015, 01:37:25 PM »

I also really don't think dropping the atomic bomb is a very good example of classified information being protected. We told anyone who would listen we had the bomb and were ready to use it.

Then it seems we did exactly what you thought we should have done, yet you still disagree with the result?   :confused:

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 22, 2015, 01:40:11 PM »

Then it seems we did exactly what you thought we should have done, yet you still disagree with the result?   :confused:
I don't think the world is a better place because of the creation of the atomic bomb. It's really irrelevant to the topic, though.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2016, 08:01:46 AM »
Rusty makes a damn good point here, I've often wondered why poker isn't played with all the cards face up.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2016, 08:06:24 AM »
                      ^
That's prolly the best post I'll ever make.
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline Katpappy

• I got my eye on you
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Party on gE
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2016, 10:24:53 AM »
                      ^
That's prolly the best post I'll ever make.
You got that right, at least.
Hot time in Kat town tonight.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2016, 10:30:38 AM »
I agree with the spirit of Rusty's argument.  But overwhelmingly disagree with the notion that there is no government information worth keeping secret.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2016, 10:52:54 AM »
We absolutely over classify a lot of information, and secondly it's a miracle we haven't blown ourselves up yet with the A now H bomb.

Offline Brock Landers

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2016, 11:00:37 AM »
I think our use of the A bomb in Japan has prevented the use of nukes later on.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2016, 11:02:40 AM »
I agree with the spirit of Rusty's argument.  But overwhelmingly disagree with the notion that there is no government information worth keeping secret.

I agree that in war approved by congress, war plans are OK to remain secret.

Offline Emo EMAW

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2016, 11:06:26 AM »
What is secret today that shouldn't be secret?

Offline chuckjames

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2016, 11:14:55 AM »
What is secret today that shouldn't be secret?
The drone program comes to mind, also NSA mass intelligence gathering.