Author Topic: Look on the bright side  (Read 4097 times)

Offline GoodForAnother

• It was all a scheme I used to read emaw magazine
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • You hate to see this Mike
    • View Profile
Look on the bright side
« on: October 10, 2015, 11:51:51 PM »
Pretty soon there's going to be a global food and water supply crisis and massive resource wars will break out.  Billions will starve or die of thirst or be killed in battle. Eventually the powers will turn to thermonuclear weapons and the world will be reduced to rubble and a brutal nuclear winter will sweep over the planet. Then as we all huddle together weeping under what's left of the sunlight awaiting the sweet embrace of death, we can all forget about this silly TCU game and move on. 

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
emaw

Offline EMAWzified

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Look on the bright side
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2015, 12:01:02 AM »
So there is a bright side.

Offline chunkles

• KSU CATS Videographer of the Week
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2015, 12:03:55 AM »
#1world #1cat i guess. eff sports

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2015, 01:50:50 AM »
Pretty soon there's going to be a global food and water supply crisis and massive resource wars will break out.  Billions will starve or die of thirst or be killed in battle. Eventually the powers will turn to thermonuclear weapons and the world will be reduced to rubble and a brutal nuclear winter will sweep over the planet. Then as we all huddle together weeping under what's left of the sunlight awaiting the sweet embrace of death, we can all forget about this silly TCU game and move on.

Not to be a kill-joy, but if you detonated all the nuclear weapons on the planet you wouldn't come close to the devastation that even one volcanic eruption does.

Earth is BIG.

Offline bones129

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • RUN! Tell all the other curs the Law's coming!
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2015, 01:57:33 AM »

Earth is BIG.

Not to be a kill-joy, but if you detonated all the nuclear weapons on the planet you wouldn't come close to the devastation that even one volcanic eruption does.

Interesting if true. I doubt if it's true, though. Link? Proof?

Offline J

• Katpak'r
  • Just call me "Hollywood"
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2015, 02:34:24 AM »

Earth is BIG.

Video VERY related

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2015, 09:04:07 AM »

Earth is BIG.
Carl Sagan disagrees

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2015, 09:35:23 AM »

[/quote]

"The eruption of Mount St. Helens in Washington State on May 18, 1980, is certain to be remembered as one of the most significant geologic events in the United States of the 20th century. The explosion, on May 18, was initiated by an earthquake and rockslide involving one-half cubic mile of rock. As the summit and north slope slid off the volcano that morning, pressure was released inside the volcano - where super hot liquid water immediately flashed to steam. The northward-directed steam explosion released energy equivalent to 20 million tons of TNT, which toppled 150 square miles of forest in six minutes. In Spirit lake, north of the volcano, an enormous water wave, initiated by one-eighth cubic mile of rockslide debris, stripped trees from slopes as high as 850 feet above the pre-eruption water level. The total energy output, on May 18, was equivalent to 400 million tons of TNT - approximately 20,000 Hiroshima-size atomic bombs."

"... Nine countries in the world possess a total of 15,695 nuclear weapons..."

Offline bshea85

• B.S. Esq.
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2015, 10:05:36 AM »

It was a long cold winter.  The nuclear warheads were detonated without warning before Halloween.  So many people were eviscerated instantly.  Millions more died through the fallout; the radioactive, glowing ashes filling their lungs.  I was lucky enough to survive this long, but the Gods had different plans.  I had been starving for weeks, foraging through the abandoned places we once called home, but my strength was waning.  I kept myself going, powered by the thoughts and memories of the KSU-TCU game of '15.  If the Cats could possibly upset football fate, perhaps I could ink out a few more days against mine.  Alas, it was not meant to be.  As I gasped my last breath, I looked up to the heavens and muttered my last words on this planet... "should've gone for the conversion..."

Offline skycat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2015, 10:48:17 AM »
Quote from: memphis
Aren't WWII Nukes like little toys compared to H-Bombs?

Yes. http://www.visualnews.com/2012/04/24/visualizing-the-frightening-power-of-nuclear-bombs/

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2015, 11:20:57 AM »

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2015, 11:25:26 AM »
Here's the thing about volcanoes. There isn't one directly under any target - say Moscow, for example, - that can be detonated on demand.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2015, 11:26:05 AM »
Yes, and they don't retaliate

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2015, 12:53:53 PM »
You could certainly, with a coordinated bombing effort, wipe out all of mankind with targeted nuclear explosions. But the planet would continue spinning 'round its iron core. 

Thanks to the Cold War (which we won), we have good sides and bad sides among mankind and the detonation of future bombs on the bad side would be stopped with proper application of detonations on the good side.

There are currently an estimated 1800 active volcanoes all over the globe.

Offline Hurricane Cat

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2015, 04:37:27 PM »
Wow,  this thread is really filled with 'bright side' information.    :frown: :ohno:

The Big Train

« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2015, 05:01:59 PM »
Ptolemy, you didn't do very well in the math and science dept while in school did you?

The Big Train

« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2015, 05:07:01 PM »

Quote from: memphis
Aren't WWII Nukes like little toys compared to H-Bombs?

Yes. http://www.visualnews.com/2012/04/24/visualizing-the-frightening-power-of-nuclear-bombs/

Holy crap.

interesting tidbit about the tsar bomba, the one they exploded was only 50% capacity of what it was originally designed for

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 11, 2015, 07:31:05 PM »

interesting tidbit about the tsar bomba, the one they exploded was only 50% capacity of what it was originally designed for
[/quote]

And where exactly did that powerful device get the USSR exactly?

Offline brandochav

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2015, 07:36:51 PM »
Ptolemy, you didn't do very well in the math and science dept while in school did you?
:ROFL:

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2015, 07:40:20 PM »
the bright side is we went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country. 

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

The Big Train

« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2015, 07:45:48 PM »
Quote from: The Big Train

And where exactly did that powerful device get the USSR exactly?

Oh were we talking about the turnout of the cold war, or any volcanic erupting surpassing all the nukes in the world?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2015, 08:43:03 PM »
the bright side is we went toe to toe with one of the best teams in the country.

What does that matter?

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2015, 08:51:27 PM »

What does that matter?
is that a real question? it matters because it shows that our team has the capacity to go toe to toe with just about anyone?

i get that last night was disappointing because we definitely should have won it, but our team isn't as garbagey as i personally thought they were.

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline Ptolemy

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2015, 11:13:03 PM »
Oh were we talking about the turnout of the cold war, or any volcanic erupting surpassing all the nukes in the world?
[/quote]

We WERE talking about the ridiculous notion that man could destroy the Earth until someone forwarded the idiotic idea that the USSR's reckless and unguided nuclear activities presented any realistic notion of fear for the planet.

So where do you want to focus this because you are demonstrably wrong on both fronts?

The Big Train

« Reply #24 on: October 11, 2015, 11:14:17 PM »
so what are we talking about now?