Author Topic: BMW 3-series  (Read 2265 times)

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
BMW 3-series
« on: April 23, 2010, 03:59:32 PM »
Does anyone own one?

I'm looking at getting maybe an 04-05 and was wanting opinions.

Anybody own a car comparable?

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
TIA
 :driving:

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
Re: BMW 3-series
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2010, 04:01:57 PM »
My father-in-law drive a 06 BMW 330.  Nice car....too small IMO.  It gets up and goes when you want it to though.  Very fun to drive.  Very expensive to maintain/fix though.  But I suppose if you're buying a BMW you don't really care huh?  Oh and get one with the deep inset wheels, much better looking. 

Offline CatsNShocks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2010, 04:06:14 PM »
What do you mean by too small?
For the driver? Trunk space?

Drove a Camry for years, and if I'm not mistaken, the 3-series is slightly smaller.

What do you mean by the deep inset wheels?
You cannot legislate the poor into prosperity by legislating the wealth out of prosperity.
What one person receives without working for, another person must work for without receiving.
The government cannot give to anybody anything that the government does not first take from somebody else.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2010, 04:47:46 PM »
Does anyone own one?

I'm looking at getting maybe an 04-05 and was wanting opinions.

Anybody own a car comparable?

Thoughts? Pros? Cons?
TIA
 :driving:
so i just read some posts on Phog.neet from a guy who lives, breathes and sleeps BMWs that the newer 3 series have a lot of problems when they start getting a lot of miles on them b/c the way they dealerships service them now a days (changing the oil every 15k, not doing the correct maintenance, etc).  they're great until they start getting the miles, then they become very expensive to own (as in +$200 oil changes) yada yada.

read here- http://mbd.scout.com/mb.aspx?s=172&f=2488&t=5871511

:dunno:

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline ayosaba

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2010, 08:13:13 PM »
I've bought an '01 330i back in December and I love it, So much power and speed, and pretty good gas mileage at 30 mpg highway. It does have some minor issues, but nothing I can't deal with. Anybody that sees my car thinks it's at least an '06, so I get the looks of a nice newer car and the speed for like 1/4th of the price. Plus really reasonable insurance rates. Overall probably the nicest car I've ridden in as far as comfort and speed.

Offline 1/64th

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2010, 08:46:43 PM »

Drove a Camry for years, and if I'm not mistaken, the 3-series is slightly smaller.

I think it just feels small overall.  I'm only 6ft tall but it still feels cramped.  The backseat is very small but the trunk is decent sized.  I also drive a camry and this 330 is much smaller than my camry.  The 5 series is comparable to the camry.  Still, good gas mileage and very fun to drive.  The wheels i'm talking about have deeper inset "spokes" than most wheels.  Looks very good on bimmers.  Just go to a bmw lot and you'll see what i mean.  they are mostly on larger ones like 5s and 7 series though.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2010, 12:11:25 AM »

I think it just feels small overall.  I'm only 6ft tall but it still feels cramped.  The backseat is very small but the trunk is decent sized.  I also drive a camry and this 330 is much smaller than my camry.  The 5 series is comparable to the camry.  Still, good gas mileage and very fun to drive.  The wheels i'm talking about have deeper inset "spokes" than most wheels.  Looks very good on bimmers.  Just go to a bmw lot and you'll see what i mean.  they are mostly on larger ones like 5s and 7 series though.

+1, everything he just said.  Also, just get on Cars.com and plug in your radius, price range, year desired, etc.  Very good way to see a range of vehicles that are available, and see pics.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2010, 07:39:41 AM »
I say get an Audi A4 for a similar car w/ out everyone thinking you're a douchebag.

Offline ayosaba

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2010, 10:13:43 AM »
I say get an Audi A4 for a similar car w/ out everyone thinking you're a douchebag.

Honestly who cares if people think you look like a douchebag. Get the car that you think looks good and you enjoy driving. it's stupid to try to please everyone else, and honestly who cares what other people think of your car.

Offline 'taterblast

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Hi, I'm James McGill.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2010, 11:09:23 AM »
was expecting a BMWjhawk hate thread.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2010, 12:48:43 PM »

Honestly who cares if people think you look like a douchebag. Get the car that you think looks good and you enjoy driving. it's stupid to try to please everyone else, and honestly who cares what other people think of your car.

Lots of people care about not looking like a douchebag and what other people think of your car.  BMW-driving douchebags especially care what people think of their cars.

Offline ayosaba

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2010, 01:11:01 PM »

Lots of people care about not looking like a douchebag and what other people think of your car.  BMW-driving douchebags especially care what people think of their cars.

So you're lumping me in with that? Because I honestly could care less what other people think of the car I'm driving. I just love driving it, and enjoy knowing that I can beat most people off the line if I need to.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2010, 01:14:45 PM »
So you're lumping me in with that? Because I honestly could care less what other people think of the car I'm driving. I just love driving it, and enjoy knowing that I can beat most people off the line if I need to.

I wasn't lumping you in with BMW driving douchebags - you could be a non-douche who drives a BMW (there's lots of them.)  But I obviously struck a nerve, somehow. 

And the best part of your BMW is "beating most people off the line"?  Ultimate driving machine, indeed.  :fatty:

Online Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2010, 01:28:19 PM »
bet ayosaba has a tiny dick.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2010, 03:09:27 PM »
bet ayosaba has a tiny dick.

Most likely a dickie-doo.

Offline ayosaba

• Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 25, 2010, 12:03:31 AM »
Yawn well too bad this thread took a turn, not like I expect more from this board. But back to the original posters qustion, I like the way BMW's drive, but i've also wanted to try an Audi, and I've heard good things about them from pretty much anyone that's driven them, so honestly you can't really go wrong with either option.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 25, 2010, 10:48:03 AM »
i drive a ferrari, i also drive my male genitals into a myriad of hot poon.  questions?  i didn't think so.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.