Author Topic: CALIFORNIA LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 16639 times)

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: CALIFORNIA LOVE!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #75 on: September 07, 2016, 12:25:20 PM »
the legend of our playbook always cracks me up when I see the complete lack of variety or creativity on the field the last couple of years. They did innovate a bit with CK/Sams/Waters though.
have you not seen it? i mean yes it looks simple on the field but the actual playbook itself is bigger than most nfl teams. it is absurd that he wont play some people based on 900 plays that we will never ever run

yeah it cracks me up because we run like six plays over the course of a season and then maybe throw in a reverse when we're down 3 scores.

No it's not.

The hard part is knowing when and what to check to and being able to do it before the play clock expires

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which pretty much involves counting the defense on the left side and then counting the defense on the right side and running to the side with the fewest players.
i like to call that play the shortside option for a gain of -3

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: September 07, 2016, 12:50:35 PM »
I feel like it's known,  but also needs said,  recruiting a QB is a crap shoot and not easy to predict.  It looks like UT might have a guy now,  but how long since their last stud?  Lots of primo schools go through droughts of poor QB play. I mean,  yea it really blows for us,  but it usually takes a little luck to have even semi consistent good play at that position.
Baylor and Tech must just be real good at "crap shooting" or it could be system. Maybe our offensive approach requires a once in a generation type player at QB and we should scrap this ridiculous offense for something that can be recruited to.

Like k slim said,  it's a combo.  I wouldn't say you can just thrown any Jimmy/Joe in there an succeed at Baylor or TT,  but at the same time,  they aren't exactly churning out future all pro QBs very often even w/ their insane numbers.

The easier question is if it's easier,  why are there periodic problems for schools that regularly rank in the top 20 recruiting classes?

Our coaching staff doesn't deserve a free pass forever, though.  And maybe Ertz will get better?  Prolly not a whole lot,  but he'll probably be "ok".
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline pvegs

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: September 07, 2016, 12:54:20 PM »
the legend of our playbook always cracks me up when I see the complete lack of variety or creativity on the field the last couple of years. They did innovate a bit with CK/Sams/Waters though.
have you not seen it? i mean yes it looks simple on the field but the actual playbook itself is bigger than most nfl teams. it is absurd that he wont play some people based on 900 plays that we will never ever run

yeah it cracks me up because we run like six plays over the course of a season and then maybe throw in a reverse when we're down 3 scores.

No it's not.

The hard part is knowing when and what to check to and being able to do it before the play clock expires

Which pretty much involves counting the defense on the left side and then counting the defense on the right side and running to the side with the fewest players.

it really does get old. watching the game with a non-Cat fan he was mortified by our scheme/clock management. he's like, "is it always like this?" "sure," i said. "but only for the last 25 years."

Offline Super PurpleCat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • purple hugs are back! get yours today
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: September 07, 2016, 01:10:33 PM »
Yeah the LSU fans I watched our game with couldn't believe our QB and clock management either.  And they're LSU, which their guy is throwing for around 50% completion rate.  Which I would take.

Offline bucket

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: September 07, 2016, 01:42:33 PM »
Also, the answer is Ian Seau

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ian-seau-1.html

Seau headed to Kansas State but homesickness made him return to San Diego.

Got dang, coaches!  :curse:

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: September 07, 2016, 02:00:09 PM »
Bucket, keep up. We were talking about the best players to leave the program under Snyder. We don't care about the reasoning.

Offline Skipper44

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: September 07, 2016, 02:10:24 PM »

No it's not.

i like to call that play the shortside option for a gain of -3
shortside option works when its Bishop & Murphy or Ell & Sproles - not so much with Ertz & Jones and that is what is completely aggravating about this offensive coaching staff.  The risk/reward when running the option and even zone read with our the type of athletes we are playing at QB and RB is illogical imo.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: September 07, 2016, 02:15:17 PM »
Bucket, keep up. We were talking about the best players to leave the program under Snyder. We don't care about the reasoning.

Not what I was talking about...

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: September 07, 2016, 02:24:43 PM »

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: September 07, 2016, 02:26:15 PM »
clearly more than just short side option depending on what defense is doing.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: September 07, 2016, 03:05:57 PM »
Cire, no one is doubting the robustness of the playbook just the utilization of said playbook and to an extent how overrated our big playbook is in comparison to others.

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: September 07, 2016, 03:09:55 PM »
I mean there's always this talk about the playbook and having it mastered and then Danell calls the same 10 unimaginative plays. Also worth noting that leaked playbook was from an era before the current check with me scheme that seemingly puts the play calling even more in the hands of the coaches. So why do you need to memorize 264,820 plays when you're not even calling them anyway?

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: September 07, 2016, 03:18:46 PM »
So why do you need to memorize 264,820 plays when you're not even calling them anyway?

Because they're not going to explain what the play is that they're calling from the sideline.

Offline kslim

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: September 07, 2016, 03:19:44 PM »
I mean there's always this talk about the playbook and having it mastered and then Danell calls the same 10 unimaginative plays. Also worth noting that leaked playbook was from an era before the current check with me scheme that seemingly puts the play calling even more in the hands of the coaches. So why do you need to memorize 264,820 plays when you're not even calling them anyway?
god damn...this x 1000%. id be curious as to how many times they run the play that is the original play that they called to begin with. i get the check with me system but we eff it up soooo bad sometimes

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: September 07, 2016, 04:30:57 PM »
So why do you need to memorize 264,820 plays when you're not even calling them anyway?

Because they're not going to explain what the play is that they're calling from the sideline.

Every player on the team has to be able to read the play from the sideline. Why are our QBs just so much worse at figuring them out than everyone else?

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: September 07, 2016, 04:39:48 PM »

Every player on the team has to be able to read the play from the sideline. Why are our QBs just so much worse at figuring them out than everyone else?

Which is exactly what I was going to ask next, why don't we ever seem to have running backs or wide receivers who can't play or need to be benched as freshmen because they can't "get the playbook." Our fan base can't come to grips that this is a ridiculous talking point.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: September 07, 2016, 05:05:01 PM »
I think the point is our QBs are somehow overwhelmed trying to read coverages and make even the smallest of adjustments at the line. It's not all about the plays that are called, it could be something like assigning a blocker for a blitzing back or having the line shift to the right on their blocking schemes.

It's obviously counterproductive a lot of the time, but I see the idea behind it.  I think our QBs have to be asked to do more at the line than most other teams since they seem to lose track of the clock so easily.

Offline That_Guy

• I'm just, "That Guy!"
  • Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: September 07, 2016, 05:10:08 PM »
Maybe this is tucks, tucking, but I remember hearing that our TE's had to call/read the play pre-snap because supposedly Bishop couldn't and or didn't know what to look for.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: September 07, 2016, 07:05:44 PM »
our offense has kinda sucked for a while and the problem with our offense has nothing to do with our playbook

ultimately, our old as eff coaches have become conservative with their play calling to a point of hurting the team.  snyder's offense used to be fun to watch, of course, we had much more talented players making decisions back then- which points to our shitty recruiting which stems from shitty coaches doing shitty jobs at their jobs.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline cfbandyman

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • To da 'ville.
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: September 08, 2016, 03:22:31 PM »
I think the point is our QBs are somehow overwhelmed trying to read coverages and make even the smallest of adjustments at the line. It's not all about the plays that are called, it could be something like assigning a blocker for a blitzing back or having the line shift to the right on their blocking schemes.

It's obviously counterproductive a lot of the time, but I see the idea behind it.  I think our QBs have to be asked to do more at the line than most other teams since they seem to lose track of the clock so easily.

LFBIQ on my part but it's all overthinking. When you have a green playing time QB out there "trying to call the perfect play" and constantly having to check with the sideline to adjust, it bogs the system down. The obsession with getting something perfect ends up flying in the face of just performing the play. The QB has to think, rather than react or trust instincts and use his best judgement when the situation arises. So we end up looking stuck, lost, miscommunicating and underperforming. It's truly a blessing that CK was so good at doing that, and Waters was ok at it and we got bailed out a lot of times by TLBL. We didn't have any of that last year, and if Ertz can't get it figured out this year we'll be in the same spot. That or the coaches need to back off and allow Ertz more autonomy in being able to make the right call.
A&M Style: 1/19/13 Co-Champion of THE ED's College Basketball Challenge

The art of the deal with it poors

OG Elon hater with a tesla

Offline troubledscribe

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 18, 2016, 01:47:04 PM »
Round two?

Offline #LIFE

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 18, 2016, 01:59:03 PM »
eff our coaching staff

Offline MakeItRain

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: October 18, 2016, 02:03:36 PM »
Sonofabtch. The only thing I can figure out is that he turned the ball over too much in practice, he threw to a lot of covered receivers in those highlights. I can't figure out how he couldn't even get a chance, how he couldn't beat out Hubener and a wide receiver, looks like Crabby can't figure that out either.

Offline catastrophe

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: October 18, 2016, 02:11:10 PM »
Do you guys really think Ertz would not produce highlights at least that good out of Independence Community College?