Author Topic: Best restaurant in KS? (MASTER MEADE RESTAURANT RANKINGS LIST INCLUDED)  (Read 4591 times)

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
Re: Best restaurant in KS?
« Reply #25 on: July 30, 2015, 08:39:12 AM »
Next time I'm in the e hwy 54 area, I'm getting some nachos as a side
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: July 30, 2015, 09:40:36 AM »
715 in Lawrence has been killing it lately

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: July 30, 2015, 10:23:53 AM »
i would say pusan diner in jc, but the quality has degraded somewhat over the last few years (please please please nobody tell her i said that)

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: July 30, 2015, 10:29:50 AM »
kites

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: July 30, 2015, 10:30:04 AM »
Lo-Mar in Eureka, KS
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline 420seriouscat69

• Don't get zapped! #zap
  • Wackycat
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #1 rated - gE NFL Scout
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2015, 11:12:46 AM »

Offline lopakman

• Katpak'r
  • #1Wiggins
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2015, 12:44:24 PM »
Harry's you dumbasses

you can get one of those little schwans personal pan pizzas at bobs if you want to get weird. it's not on the menu and I'm positive that the owners just keep a bunch of them in the walk in freezer for their own enjoyment but if you order it they'll make one for you. may want to consider that before you spout off next time.

If I wanted to travel 200 miles for a slice I'd go to Ken's in Hutchinson.
@lopakman

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2015, 12:46:05 PM »
Harry's you dumbasses

you can get one of those little schwans personal pan pizzas at bobs if you want to get weird. it's not on the menu and I'm positive that the owners just keep a bunch of them in the walk in freezer for their own enjoyment but if you order it they'll make one for you. may want to consider that before you spout off next time.

lol, looks like some scrub hasn't heard of a little place called Pizza Hut (Meade location)

Offline slobber

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Gonna win 'em all!
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2015, 01:01:53 PM »
This is a good thread. I am only sad that I didn't have the insider knowledge of Bob's about 17 years ago. I am almost certain I ate at that place but missed out on some of the best things that it offers.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2015, 01:35:12 PM »
There's been some recent debate about what does and doesn't qualify as a restaurant on the Meade social media and blogosphere. Some of these are featured here http://www.getruralkansas.com/Meade/127Explorations/typerce_cuis.shtml

rankings below:

(1) Bob's Drive In. Covered in this thread.
(2) Cancuns. SW KS chain mexican place. It's pretty good! It's like your average americanized mexican joint which CAN SERVE BEER (but not liquor so your only marg option is the bottled marg coolers).
(3, tie) Smoke Hos. Covered previously on here somewhere. It's like a cross between a sandwich shop, coffee shop, bbq place, homemade beef jerky place. I did romance on one of the founders in HS which may be boosting their rankings here.
(3, tie) Pizza Hut. Unlike your average run of the mill pizza hut location this one is in Meade.
(5) Chuckwagon. It's like a diner that's attached to the truck stop. Used to be open 24/7 but as far as I know now isn't. It's probably got some problems on the sanitation reviews or whatever places get but they have good pancakes.

the wildcards:

Dart In - Gas station store that has chinese, bbq, enchiladas, etc. on a rotating basis each day. they are all of low to medium-low quality. they have like 3 booths to sit at.

Meade Thriftway - This is the townie grocery store. When Alco went under they abandoned this massive store that was like 5 years old and the Thriftway bought it and moved in. Imagine like a large QT that moved across town and went into a space the size of a Hyvee. Because of their added space they now have like a deli sandwich stand, rotisserie chickens, etc. just like a big boy grocery store.

Meade Auto Truck Plaza - The convenience store side of the truck stop. Rumor is they have some kind of pre-made and heated up pizza that's getting some hot reviews about town. No confirmation from me but I'll keep my ear to the ground.

-summer snow cone stand run by the people who own the meade county weekly newspaper. possibly not open anymore.

-ladies who sit by the highway selling tamales. this would probably be alone at #2 if it wasn't seasonal and they had like set hours so you knew when they would be there

-bbq truck that comes through town like twice a month. low quality bbq served from a food truck thing.

-the guy who does the old fashioned chuckwagon out of an actual chuckwagon for special events like dalton days (not to be confused with the chuckwagon themed diner attached to the truck stop). the former owner of the chuckwagon was a vicious alcoholic who's now dead but the new owner is a weird guy.

future state:

Loves Convenience Store - Rumblings that the Lakeway Hotel will be leveled and a Loves store put in. Could be some hot competition for Dart In.

The old Sonic - Open back up immediately

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2015, 01:46:08 PM »
That's a lot more options than I expected
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2015, 01:52:45 PM »
ADDITIONAL OPTIONS I JUST REMEMBERED (added to the FAQ post):

-summer snow cone stand run by the people who own the meade county weekly newspaper. possibly not open anymore.

-ladies who sit by the highway selling tamales. this would probably be alone at #2 if it wasn't seasonal and they had like set hours so you knew when they would be there

-bbq truck that comes through town like twice a month. low quality bbq served from a food truck thing.

-the guy who does the old fashioned chuckwagon out of an actual chuckwagon for special events like dalton days (not to be confused with the chuckwagon themed diner attached to the truck stop). the former owner of the chuckwagon was a vicious alcoholic who's now dead but the new owner is a weird guy.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2015, 01:56:08 PM »
Oh man, forgot about the mexican place that went in. WOW! Added to the list. Check it out to see where it landed in the rankings.

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
Taco Via
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Canary

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2015, 03:31:13 PM »
715 in Lawrence has been killing it lately
That's a great spot for good food.  I like Mariscos in Lawrence as well.  I eat there five or six times a year.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Not rough ridin' Krispy's Chicken.

Offline Gooch

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Harry's you dumbasses

The fuq? like Seriously?

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: July 30, 2015, 05:04:46 PM »
Lo-Mar in Eureka, KS

Wow, yes. Not bad. Closed again, tho.  :frown:

Offline yoEMAW

• The Engineer
  • Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 30, 2015, 05:18:08 PM »
Thank you for that list, steve dave. My return trips are so few and far between that I will simply default to #1 elite bob's burger barn for a double bacon chesseburger, side of pickle-o's, and CVP (cherry vanilla pepsi) anytime I am in town. I will try to expand my horizons a bit on the next visit.

WTF is this though?!

Loves Convenience Store - Rumblings that the Lakeway Hotel will be leveled and a Loves store put in. Could be some hot competition for Dart In.

Put up a convenience store in the heart of historic downtown Meade?!  :curse:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Just some grumblings yE

Offline gatoveintisiete

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Cold Ass Honkey
    • View Profile
Good thread, glad stevedave got off his ass and did some entertaining today.  #renocatfree
it’s not like I’m tired of WINNING, but dude, let me catch my breath.

Offline hatingfrancisco

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • Tweet Tweet
Chuck Wagon way too low on that list. 

Also need to eat at the Hardesty House in Ashland.  And the convenience store in Protection makes the best crock pot bacon cheeseburgers in the world.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Korean Garden is better than Pusan in some ways.

Offline wetwillie

• goEMAW Poster of the WEEK
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Topeka ks has this place called The Shack, that is pretty alright.
When the bullets are flying, that's when I'm at my best

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
Seoul is better than it was, but not as good as Pusan or Korean Garden.