Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 423819 times)

Offline chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #50 on: April 23, 2010, 01:54:03 PM »
visited O'Dell's brewery when I was in CO for the Great American Beer Festival.  those guys are super cool and they run a great brewery, one of pc's favs.

Another reason Ft Collins is great.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2010, 02:05:11 PM »
Odells 90 shilling!
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2010, 03:27:31 PM »
New Belgium Ranger IPA

Just picked some up last week, and it is delicious.
better than mighty arrow, worse?  is it too hoppy?  i'm sick of beers guys throwing 500 pounds of hops in a beer and saying it tastes good. no, it doesn't taste good, it tastes like hops.
It's hoppier than MA, but not too hoppy.  Not as hoppy as the ska brewing ipa. :)

yeah, hops alone aren't good enough for me and those smokey beers almost make me gag. that's the only kind of beer that i just can't drink. fav beers are the citrus kind of ipa's. the odells ipa is amazing. just incredible.
Never had Odells, will look for it when I get a job and can throw dollar bills at beer like they wuz strippers. Favorite IPA to date is still Sierra Nevada IPA. It's tough to beat that.

not too tough in the world of IPA. Sierra Nevada has a pretty decent one, but its not some invention of genius. Odell's definitely qualifies. Odell's in general is delicious.

The Dude's line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsogswrH6ck
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2010, 03:58:37 PM »

The Dude's line

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QsogswrH6ck

I have absolutely no rebuttal when it comes from The Dude. Well played, sir.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2010, 04:10:42 PM »
IPA is fracking disgusting.

Offline KITNfury

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Eat My Ass Whole
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2010, 06:05:31 PM »
Just realized how much you suck.
I once blew clove smoke in a guy's face that cut in front of me in the line to KJ's.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 23, 2010, 06:42:58 PM »
IPA is generally good beer, but it seems as though it is the "in" beer for guys that want to sound cool for drinking a certain type of beer. 

Guy 1: Wanna beer?

Guy 2: Bro, this beer is ok but I've got a bomber of HopSlam at home.  It kicks this beers ass, MOTHERFUCKING HOPSLAM BABY!  YEAHH!!!!!

Guy 1:  :rolleyes:
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 23, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »

Do you enjoy your IPA with Burnt Pine Needles?

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 23, 2010, 09:57:33 PM »

Do you enjoy your IPA with Burnt Pine Needles?

No, that's how I enjoy gin.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 23, 2010, 10:05:18 PM »
Gin tastes like fresh pine needles nOOb.

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: April 23, 2010, 10:06:36 PM »
Lol. Touche.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 24, 2010, 12:05:18 PM »
O'dell was the first IPA I tried.  Still one of my favorites. 
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline Cire

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 24, 2010, 12:08:22 PM »
If you haven't already, don't try any more ever.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 24, 2010, 05:15:46 PM »
If you haven't already, don't try any more ever.

I've tried a lot of them.  The summer before last I lived right by probably the greatest liquor store in the world.(Global Wine & Spirits:World of Beers on 37th and Woodlawn in ITC), they had singles of over 1000 brews and I probably tried half of them over the 1.5 years I lived there.  Odell is still IMO the highest quality IPA out there, as far as regular beers go.  I'm not talking like Double-Wide or anything.  I like IPA's but I'm not going to session with them.

Offline tdaver

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 24, 2010, 06:07:05 PM »
The summer before last I lived right by probably the greatest liquor store in the world.(Global Wine & Spirits:World of Beers on 37th and Woodlawn in ITC), they had singles of over 1000 brews and I probably tried half of them over the 1.5 years I lived there.

Just stopped by there a couple hours ago because of this thread.  Got these six:

Left Hand - Milk Stout and Haystack Wheat
New Belgium - Abbey and Trippel
Odell - Levity and Easty Street Wheat  

Can't decide what to try first.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: August 24, 2010, 10:30:51 AM »
My favorite beer season is coming up soon. Oktoberfest? More like HOPtoberfest!! LMAO! :lol:

Anyways,

Looking forward to Southern Tier Brewery Pumking ale and Chocolate Stout.
Still got 2 bottles of my Chimay gift pack sitting in the fridge. ;)
Ska Brewing Modus Hoperandi and Decedant Imperial ale.  :love:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: August 24, 2010, 10:31:53 AM »
New Belgium Ranger IPA

Just picked some up last week, and it is delicious.
better than mighty arrow, worse?  is it too hoppy?  i'm sick of beers guys throwing 500 pounds of hops in a beer and saying it tastes good. no, it doesn't taste good, it tastes like hops.

look who came down from his tower!  :pbj:
it's friday bro!

i like to have a couple of Del Tremens too.  i convinced pete and trim to try it at our BlankBurgerPAK and pete did not like, trim did not like.  i got to drink Pete's beer for him.  lewser.

Del Tremens is fabulous.  Pricey thou.  I think there are better belgian ales out there.

Also, try the Delirium de Noël when you have a chance.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: August 24, 2010, 10:43:39 AM »
I went through the phase where I thought I had to be super cool guy and drink the latest "cool beer".   Then I realized that the vast majority of those beers taste like complete ass. 

Also bitterly disappointed that not one f_cking place in KC had my "go to" Yuengling . . . in fact, most of the dumbasses had never even heard of it.

Albeit a certain elite poster on this board and I did enjoy a beer at lunch, which was much like a Stella, but it came from Blvd. as I recall.

If you truly want to spend more money and be assured you're actually getting a better tasting product, aim towards the various higher end whiskeys, bourbons and vodkas et. al.   

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: August 24, 2010, 10:50:54 AM »
I went through the phase where I thought I had to be super cool guy and drink the latest "cool beer".   Then I realized that the vast majority of those beers taste like complete ass. 

Also bitterly disappointed that not one f_cking place in KC had my "go to" Yuengling . . . in fact, most of the dumbasses had never even heard of it.

Albeit a certain elite poster on this board and I did enjoy a beer at lunch, which was much like a Stella, but it came from Blvd. as I recall.

If you truly want to spend more money and be assured you're actually getting a better tasting product, aim towards the various higher end whiskeys, bourbons and vodkas et. al.   

So you are pissed that Yuengling isn't distributed in Missouri or Kansas?  It's not like we don't have comparable brewing companies that distribute here.

It's true, some beer you spend more money on aren't worth it, but i've discovered many a brew that are.  I assume that is the same case with liquor.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: August 24, 2010, 10:59:37 AM »
When you're in a place for a week Saul, there isn't time to trudge through the local "taste like ass" beers to find the ones you like. 

Offline AppleJack

• AppleJack
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • How are you doing today?
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: August 24, 2010, 11:04:30 AM »
Anchor Steam  :love:
When one person, for whatever reason, has a chance to lead an exceptional life, he has no right to keep it to himself.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:34 AM »
When you're in a place for a week Saul, there isn't time to trudge through the local "taste like ass" beers to find the ones you like.  

If you find a style of beer you like it's pretty easy to find a quality beer.  It's not like stores only carry local brews, too.  Many of my favorite beers are brewed in New York, but are still carried here because they have a large enough distribution chain.

Do you remember any of the one's you tried that "taste like ass?"

Also, disagree w/ you. 1 week is plenty of time.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2010, 11:05:50 AM »
Anchor Steam  :love:
One of the first microbrews in the country.  Very good.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2010, 11:12:04 AM »

If you find a style of beer you like it's pretty easy to find a quality beer.  It's not like stores only carry local brews, too.  Many of my favorite beers are brewed in New York, but are still carried here because they have a large enough distribution chain.

Sorry Saul it isn't . . . unless you're a complete geek who wants to spend all the time while on "vacation" geeking out without other beer geeks about beer.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2010, 11:16:40 AM »

If you find a style of beer you like it's pretty easy to find a quality beer.  It's not like stores only carry local brews, too.  Many of my favorite beers are brewed in New York, but are still carried here because they have a large enough distribution chain.

Sorry Saul it isn't . . . unless you're a complete geek who wants to spend all the time while on "vacation" geeking out without other beer geeks about beer.
Stop at one liquor store in KCMO, stock up. Easy as that. You can customize six packs and pick up a few bombers.