Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 423591 times)

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #900 on: August 07, 2012, 08:50:54 AM »
also, if you ever want to try something and it's not a special bottling or anything hyvee will just crack it open for you and you can give it a whirl.  pretty great. 

Offline The Tonya Harding of Twitter Users Creep

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: August 07, 2012, 08:55:53 AM »
Also, looking forward to comparing 80 acre to Halcyon  :dance:

Also, if I haven't enjoyed a Sam Adams beer thusfar, should I even try oktoberfest?

Oktoberfest is my favorite Sam Adams beer. I enjoy SA more than most people, their spring was just ok but I enjoy the summer ale.

There are a few other Oktoberfests that are pretty good. Free State's is meh, Left Hand's is even worse, but Shlafly and Summit are delicious, imo.
I think what my friend Mitch is trying to say is that true love is blind.

Offline nicname

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Deal with it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: August 07, 2012, 08:57:31 AM »

Also, if I haven't enjoyed a Sam Adams beer thusfar, should I even try oktoberfest?

Oktoberfest is my favorite Sam Adams beer. I enjoy SA more than most people, their spring was just ok but I enjoy the summer ale.

There are a few other Oktoberfests that are pretty good. Free State's is meh, Left Hand's is even worse, but Shlafly and Summit are delicious, imo.

Most Sam Adams is pretty great.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying too hard to be snobby.
If there was a gif of nicname thwarting the attempted-flag-taker and then gesturing him to suck it, followed by motioning for all of Hilton Shelter to boo him louder, it'd be better than that auburn gif.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: August 07, 2012, 09:40:54 AM »

Most Sam Adams is pretty great.  Anyone who tells you otherwise is trying too hard to be snobby.

Sam Adams Oktoberfest is by far the best sam adams beer.

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: August 07, 2012, 09:42:52 AM »
Summit Brewing company had a TASTING at the FRIDGE two weeks ago. Got a bunch of their Extra Pale Ale which was really great.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: August 07, 2012, 10:18:12 AM »

Sam Adams Oktoberfest is by far the best sam adams beer.

of the 4 seasonals they go in order:

winter lager
oktoberfest
whichever of the loser spring/summer seasonals when they are the only beer on tap at the airport

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: August 07, 2012, 10:21:08 AM »
pretty much every fall seasonal is horrible and pumpkin spiced or whatever.  also, fall should be the best time for beer but every year all of the breweries try to ruin it w/ their fall flavor lineups. just disgusting.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: August 07, 2012, 10:21:43 AM »

No, they aren't great. They aren't bad, though. They market very well and appeal to a wide range of tastes. They have some really good beers but mostly i'd say their selection is mediocre.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: August 07, 2012, 10:22:46 AM »
pretty much every fall seasonal is horrible and pumpkin spiced or whatever.  also, fall should be the best time for beer but every year all of the breweries try to ruin it w/ their fall flavor lineups. just disgusting.
Again with daris being dead wrong on nearly everything. I don't get it.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: August 07, 2012, 10:24:15 AM »

daris, pro-tip:

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: August 07, 2012, 10:26:13 AM »
oh a pumpkin! lets crush it up and combine it with beer just because it's october.  :flush:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: August 07, 2012, 10:27:09 AM »

daris, pro-tip:

A QUART OF BEER!!!

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: August 07, 2012, 10:28:32 AM »

daris, pro-tip:

A QUART OF BEER!!!

the hyvee by my house only got them in the packages with the big mug included last year.  but, you could just open them and buy the can for about 1/3 of the price.  they ended up with roughly a billion of those mugs that nobody wanted to pay for to get to the delicious festival paulaner cans. 

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: August 07, 2012, 10:31:47 AM »
"welp. it's the day after halloween now. time to go get the pumpkins off the front porch and smash them into oblivion and then mix their guts with some beer and then drink it like i do every fall."

i mean, what is the reasoning there?

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
Re: Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #914 on: August 07, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »
"welp. it's the day after halloween now. time to go get the pumpkins off the front porch and smash them into oblivion and then mix their guts with some beer and then drink it like i do every fall."

I agree that pumpkin spiced beer is pointless and usually sucks

Sent from my GT-S5830M using Tapatalk 2
:adios:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #915 on: August 07, 2012, 10:48:29 AM »

because the beer has a pumpkin taste to it

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: August 07, 2012, 11:46:12 AM »
Try the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and then tell me I'm snobby for saying it sucks balls and taints.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: August 07, 2012, 11:47:37 AM »
Try the Sam Adams Cherry Wheat and then tell me I'm snobby for saying it sucks balls and taints.

I like it a lot actually  :D

Offline puniraptor

• Tastemaker
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • nostalgic reason
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: August 07, 2012, 12:03:00 PM »

At first I was all amped because it tastes like red cream soda, but by the second bottle it was way too sweet and I poured it out in disgust.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: August 07, 2012, 12:03:44 PM »

I can only drink it in draft form, or poured. Something about the nose on it in the bottle doesn't sit well with me.

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: August 07, 2012, 12:04:45 PM »

I can only drink it in draft form, or poured. Something about the nose on it in the bottle doesn't sit well with me.

I've only had it in a glass.  The blackberry as well.  They both smell like life savers to me without tasting sweet. 

Online pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: August 07, 2012, 01:04:10 PM »
i only chug beer.  people who sip their beer just haven't been drinking beer for long enough of a time.  sounds like a bunch of beer newbies in this thread but that may  not be the case in all actuality.  when i think of brew and drinking brew i get so happy it is like a natural high. 

the first thing i do after getting home from a long day working the soybeans is grab my 12 pack of suds and start pounding them.  makes me feel great.  then i'll do some chores around my place and watch a little bit of the tube. 

honestly, it is rare that i'll not chug a 12 pack before dinner.  i don't even have a beer belly, i think it's because i work out so much.  brew in, brew out, that's my motto.  the secret is just to keep pissing.  for every brew you chug, you should do a quick mental test of your bladder to see if you need to release any suds back into the environment.  if you don't, then proceed to chug the next brew.  repeat as necessary but i will warn you, i've seen many a man not be able to maintain a good chuggin pace for much longer than a 30-60 minute time.  if you have any beer questions then i am your man. 

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline TheCatFanSpeaks

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: August 07, 2012, 01:39:07 PM »
I'm not sure what's going on here, but this IPA was very good.

Offline EMAWmeister

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Livin' it up
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: August 07, 2012, 01:43:44 PM »
I'm not sure what's going on here, but this IPA was very good.

damn shame that we can't get southern tier in ks

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: August 07, 2012, 01:52:13 PM »
yes