Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 423640 times)

Offline theswo

• Combo-Fan
  • Keep shooting, Gilbert
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #175 on: February 08, 2011, 01:18:31 AM »
about to book a tour of boulevard, anybody done this?

Yeah, only like 100 times  :lol:
congrats

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: February 08, 2011, 08:43:30 AM »
American beer blows the doors off any swill you can get over seas.  Microbreweries have changed everything in this country.

what's a good dunkelweizen i can get at the local liquor store?  tia.

Offline mcmwcat

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • trips: "MCMW"
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: February 08, 2011, 08:44:52 AM »
my second favorite...

saw dude buying that from lukas liquor in OP on friday.  thought to myself, that's weird, a can.

it's good.  fracker, had some laying around in his fridge during SuperBowl XLV (TM).  i finished it off for him. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: February 08, 2011, 08:51:13 AM »
Ska Brewery is awesome.  Love their Decadent Imperial IPA.  It's a steal, usually 5 or 6 bucks.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: February 08, 2011, 12:48:09 PM »
ska brewing, from glorious Durango, CO. mmmmm  :drink:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: February 08, 2011, 12:54:09 PM »
American beer blows the doors off any swill you can get over seas.  Microbreweries have changed everything in this country.

what's a good dunkelweizen i can get at the local liquor store?  tia.
I like Franziskaner. :dunno:

Online WillieWatanabe

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • We'll always have Salt Lake
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: February 08, 2011, 12:55:23 PM »
about to book a tour of boulevard, anybody done this?

Yeah, only like 100 times  :lol:

seems like a weird thing to do 100 times.
Sometimes I think of the Book of Job and how God likes to really eff with people.
- chunkles

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: February 08, 2011, 01:20:08 PM »
Boulevard really needs to have a brewpub.

Offline broXcore

• Katpak'r
  • cats
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: February 08, 2011, 01:45:11 PM »
been on a newcastle kick lately, but i love 3 philosophers, chimay red, left hand milk stout, and sierra nevada torpedo

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: February 09, 2011, 01:22:12 PM »
Boulevard released a new Chocolate Smokestack yesterday and the whole city is sold out already, except for 5 bottles still sitting at Grand Slam Liquor on 6th street (which they conveniently upped the price on due to demand)

Offline kso_FAN

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: February 09, 2011, 05:08:10 PM »
i was just in colorado.  cans seem to be getting trendy.

From the Tallgrass guy: (http://www.tallgrassbeer.com/canifesto.html)

Ask a Midwestern craft beer drinker what they think of craft beer in a can and more often than not you will hear, "Bottled beer tastes better.” I thought the same thing for a long time, but in recent years I’ve experienced some great-tasting canned craft beer from other parts of the country. I didn’t think much more about it, until a phone call last fall that got me to do a little research on the subject.

The call was from a Tallgrass drinker in western Kansas. He had about 20 empty cases of IPA bottles and boxes stacked in his garage. I guess he really likes it. He wanted to return the boxes for us to reuse, but since he was so far away, picking them up was not an option. I asked him to recycle the glass and cardboard, but he did not have a local recycler. It would all have to go to the local landfill. This seemed like a huge waste, but what could we do? As a recovering environmental geologist, I still love to solve problems, so I thought about this one.

After a little research, I found out that bottles with paper boxes are just about the most wasteful, energy intensive, and hard-to-recycle things that can hold beer. On top of that, they are not even the best choice for the quality of the beer!

It turns out that the humble aluminum can is the best choice for a whole lot of reasons. Cans are better for the beer. Cans seal better than bottles and totally block sunlight, which keeps our beer tasting fresher, longer. Cans are more fun. You can take cans to the pool, concerts, lakes, stadiums, hot tubs, golf courses, and anywhere else you can’t take glass. Last, but not least, the aluminum can is WAY better for the environment than bottles.

Cans are 12x lighter than glass, which means it takes less energy to ship the same amount of beer. But the biggest advantage is how easy it is to recycle cans. A recycled aluminum can will be made into another can and back on the shelf in about 60 days. Recycling is an easy, efficient thing for can manufacturers to do. 50% of all cans are now recycled and that is expected to increase in the future.

After learning all of this, I have decided to change Tallgrass packaging from bottles to really cool cans that hold 1 full pint of beer. Think of them as little recyclable kegs that can fit in a backpack. Go ahead and enjoy Tallgrass with your friends. Drink assured that we will always walk the walk when it comes to doing the right thing, for our beer, our beer drinkers, and our little corner of the planet.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: February 09, 2011, 05:23:32 PM »
My big question with beer is... Should I guy cans, bottles, or drink it out of a glass?  I only drink Bud Light.  :drink:
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: February 09, 2011, 05:25:41 PM »
My big question with beer is... Should I guy cans, bottles, or drink it out of a glass?  I only drink Bud Light.  :drink:
Well if it's Bud Light, it doesn't matter if you are drinking out of a can, a bottle, or the ass crevice of a homeless man.

Offline The1BigWillie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • Known to be a horrible person... (BORN 7/4/75)
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: February 09, 2011, 05:30:51 PM »
Well if it's Bud Light, it doesn't matter if you are drinking out of a can, a bottle, or the ass crevice of a homeless man.

Good to know! Speaking of ass crevices... how is Topeka?
"That's what you get when you let some dude from Los Angles/Texas with the alias Mookfu raw dog it.  Willesgirl can back me up here.  There's a lesson in this.  You only get HIV once; make it count." - Mr. Bread

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: February 09, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
beer people, please recommend a bitterish lager that tastes good.  don't care where it is made.  should be cheap, or at least not more expensive than other beer and available in mhk liquor stores.

i don't really know beer words, but the beer i'm thinking of makes me think i'd like to call it "crisp".  seems like maybe it has more bubbles than some beers, but i dunno.

tia, btw.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: February 09, 2011, 05:36:03 PM »
beer people, please recommend a bitterish lager that tastes good.  don't care where it is made.  should be cheap, or at least not more expensive than other beer and available in mhk liquor stores.

i don't really know beer words, but the beer i'm thinking of makes me think i'd like to call it "crisp".  seems like maybe it has more bubbles than some beers, but i dunno.

tia, btw.

New Belgium Trippel.

7.8% ABV  :fatty:

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #191 on: February 09, 2011, 05:37:21 PM »
beer people, please recommend a bitterish lager that tastes good.  don't care where it is made.  should be cheap, or at least not more expensive than other beer and available in mhk liquor stores.

i don't really know beer words, but the beer i'm thinking of makes me think i'd like to call it "crisp".  seems like maybe it has more bubbles than some beers, but i dunno.

tia, btw.

New Belgium Trippel.

NOT A LAGER
:flush:
AND NOT SUPER BUBBLY

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: February 09, 2011, 05:46:27 PM »
beer people, please recommend a bitterish lager that tastes good.  don't care where it is made.  should be cheap, or at least not more expensive than other beer and available in mhk liquor stores.

i don't really know beer words, but the beer i'm thinking of makes me think i'd like to call it "crisp".  seems like maybe it has more bubbles than some beers, but i dunno.

tia, btw.

hibachi used to have watney's on tap, it's good to drink cold from the keg.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: February 09, 2011, 05:47:17 PM »

tia, btw.
Anchor Steam, pretty "bubbly", but not all that bitter, not sure on the IBU's bro.  It's not terribly expensive and should be available in most MHK liquor stores.

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: February 09, 2011, 05:56:39 PM »
The pale ale that is.  Prob don't want their porter, though it is quite good.

Offline sys

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • your reputation will never recover, nor should it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: February 09, 2011, 05:58:11 PM »
i'll look at the watney's and anchor steam.

i'm looking for a spanish style beer, if that helps.  they mostly all taste really similar, but san miguel, alhambra and mahou are some brands.  i think the bitterness is more important than the bubbliness.

the high alc. % belgian one is not really what i'm interested in.
"experienced commanders will simply be smeared and will actually go to the meat."

Offline Stevesie60

• Fattyfest Champion
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: February 09, 2011, 06:05:38 PM »

tia, btw.

New Belgium Trippel.

NOT A LAGER
:flush:
AND NOT SUPER BUBBLY

Meh. Tastes like a lager. Wouldn't call it super bubbly, but definitely crisp.

However, I missed the bitter lager, so I retract my suggestion.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: February 09, 2011, 06:06:36 PM »
i don't think spanish beer has much hop/crispyness fwiw, and it's very hard to find what you're looking for.

anchor makes 3 main beers, their steam beer, their liberty, and their porter.  i agree w/ saul that you're most describing the steam beer but it's not a lager (lager yeast in ale tanks).  the liberty that jt is talking about is an ale and doesn't meet your lager req'o.

just thought about a newer one on the market- think it might fit.  you might try the seasonal sam adams noble pils

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Online chum1

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: February 09, 2011, 06:12:32 PM »
Watneys is yummy.  Why not simply Sam Adams Boston Lager? 

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: February 09, 2011, 06:33:52 PM »
i don't think spanish beer has much hop/crispyness fwiw, and it's very hard to find what you're looking for.

anchor makes 3 main beers, their steam beer, their liberty, and their porter.  i agree w/ saul that you're most describing the steam beer but it's not a lager (lager yeast in ale tanks).  the liberty that jt is talking about is an ale and doesn't meet your lager req'o.

just thought about a newer one on the market- think it might fit.  you might try the seasonal sam adams noble pils

Yeah, it's not a lager but it definitely hits his flavor profile

"Carbonation is produced by an entirely natural process called "bunging," which produces champagne-like bubbles. Dry-hopping (adding fresh hops to the brew during aging), imparts a unique aroma to the ale. It is a process rarely used in this country" today."