Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 423509 times)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #100 on: August 24, 2010, 02:42:33 PM »
The fact that you can't just walk into any local liquor store and find these beers in fact makes it more difficult to navigate the beer scene in KC.  To get the really good local stuff, you have to locate them and drive around town to actually drink them on site.  Any large liquor store will offer a huge selection of beers, but finding the local, often hidden gems is where it's really at.

outside of Boulevard, what you describe really doesn't exist in the KC market, but it does in Denver.  get it yet?

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: August 24, 2010, 03:05:57 PM »
Brewpubs generally brew crappy uninspired beer.  Sometimes they have decent brews but nothing really worth bottling and surely nothing for cellaring.
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: August 24, 2010, 03:22:48 PM »
my point was that when you walk into any bar or liquor store in the kc metro, they will offer boulevard, not the rest.  

it isn't hard to trudge through the local "taste like ass" beers to find the ones you like in KC.

also- almost all of the beers locally made in the kc area suck, except Blvd.

Whatevs . . . Blvd resonates on exactly zero levels with me, so I don't even give them a second thought.  They make a couple of beers I like but when I leave KC I spend exactly no time wishing I had those beers where I live.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 03:25:01 PM by sonofdaxjones »

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: August 24, 2010, 03:24:57 PM »
75th street has some amazing beers.  I know you guys think it's cool to act too for school regarding the KC beer scene but it really just shows your ignorance.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: August 24, 2010, 03:43:41 PM »
75th street has some amazing beers.  I know you guys think it's cool to act too for school regarding the KC beer scene but it really just shows your ignorance.
i'm not acting too school for kc's beer scene and am 100% confident that i know more about it than you do. i agree that 75th can make some good beer but  good luck finding 75th street bottles at Gomers, or Lukas, or any other liquor store in KC.  good luck finding 75th St beer at a bar around town that isn't owned by their ownership group, there might actually be one or two!

so there you have it, one KC brew pub that doesn't bottle and isn't sold outside of its ownership group, and Boulevard, which is found in every store in KC.  yup, the KC "brew scene" is alive and well.  it's smoking heavier than an adelscot.

my point was that when you walk into any bar or liquor store in the kc metro, they will offer boulevard, not the rest. 

it isn't hard to trudge through the local "taste like ass" beers to find the ones you like in KC.

Whatevs . . . Blvd resonates on exactly zero levels with me, so I don't even give them a second thought.  They make a couple of beers I like but when I leave KC I spend exactly no time wishing I had those beers where I live.

it's no wonder Blvd doesn't resonate with you.  you consider Yuengling your go-to beer.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: August 24, 2010, 03:47:38 PM »
BLVD's Unfiltered Wheat is my fav wheat beer.  The rest of theirs tastes like what most guys make in their garage. 

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: August 24, 2010, 03:53:00 PM »
i'm not acting too school for kc's beer scene and am 100% confident that i know more about it than you do. i agree that 75th can make some good beer but  good luck finding 75th street bottles at Gomers, or Lukas, or any other liquor store in KC.  good luck finding 75th St beer at a bar around town that isn't owned by their ownership group, there might actually be one or two!

so there you have it, one KC brew pub that doesn't bottle and isn't sold outside of its ownership group, and Boulevard, which is found in every store in KC.  yup, the KC "brew scene" is alive and well.  it's smoking heavier than an adelscot.

Whatevs . . . Blvd resonates on exactly zero levels with me, so I don't even give them a second thought.  They make a couple of beers I like but when I leave KC I spend exactly no time wishing I had those beers where I live.

it's no wonder Blvd doesn't resonate with you.  you consider Yuengling your go-to beer.

A more apporpriate word(s) would have been "Stand by" Captain Literal, I really can't believe I am having this discussion with anyone who would get even the slightest bit defensive in regards to any product rolling out of Blvd Brewery.  I was trying Blvd before most people on here were old enough to buy beer legally.   They just aren't that great. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: August 24, 2010, 03:58:32 PM »
BLVD's Unfiltered Wheat is my fav wheat beer.  The rest of theirs tastes like what most guys make in their garage. 

That is one of their worst beers, too.  Not surprising, CNS Casey.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: August 24, 2010, 03:59:09 PM »

A more apporpriate word(s) would have been "Stand by" Captain Literal, I really can't believe I am having this discussion with anyone who would get even the slightest bit defensive in regards to any product rolling out of Blvd Brewery.  I was trying Blvd before most people on here were old enough to buy beer legally.   They just aren't that great. 
BLVD is solid.  Not great, I agree. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: August 24, 2010, 04:03:36 PM »

:jerk:

If their wheat is bad, I need some suggestions on what to try.  Evidently I am missing out. 

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: August 24, 2010, 04:04:46 PM »
I'm guessing Piss doesn't know what a brewpub is.  And, have fun with your 3 month old Colorado beer, I'll enjoy my locally produced Rock Island Red. 

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: August 24, 2010, 04:06:59 PM »

If their wheat is bad, I need some suggestions on what to try.  Evidently I am missing out. 
It's not bad.  It's just one of their worst.

Try Bob's 47, Lunar Ale, Bully Porter, Dry Stout and Irish Ale - I believe all of those are seasonal except for the Bully Porter and Dry Stout.

However, those are nothing compared to the Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale or Saison-Bret.  Actually, anything in their "Smokestack Series" are above average/great beers.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: August 24, 2010, 04:07:18 PM »
I'm guessing Piss doesn't know what a brewpub is.  And, have fun with your 3 month old Colorado beer, I'll enjoy my locally produced Rock Island Red. 
Free State bottles their beers now.  fwiw.

Offline john "teach me how to" dougie

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • 1cat
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: August 24, 2010, 04:17:06 PM »

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: August 24, 2010, 04:18:23 PM »

Try Bob's 47, Lunar Ale, Bully Porter, Dry Stout and Irish Ale - I believe all of those are seasonal except for the Bully Porter and Dry Stout.

However, those are nothing compared to the Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale or Saison-Bret.  Actually, anything in their "Smokestack Series" are above average/great beers.

We have diff tastes.  I have had all those.  I don't mind them, but they taste like the kit-made beer my bro makes.  Nothing special.

Their wheat is somewhat unique as far as wheats go, imo.

Prolly just an individual's taste diff.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: August 24, 2010, 04:23:19 PM »

We have diff tastes.  I have had all those.  I don't mind them, but they taste like the kit-made beer my bro makes.  Nothing special.

Naw, I just think you are a dumbass.  Sorry bro. 

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: August 24, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »

We have diff tastes.  I have had all those.  I don't mind them, but they taste like the kit-made beer my bro makes.  Nothing special.

Naw, I just think you are a dumbass.  Sorry bro. 

Says the guy who likes Bob's 47

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: August 24, 2010, 04:24:51 PM »
Yeah, Free State has grown into a microbrewery.  You can get their stuff pretty readily around the region.  OC even carries their stuff on tap, though I'm not sure how extensively it's sold around the country.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: August 24, 2010, 04:37:36 PM »
Free State is mostly horrible.

Offline asava

• goEMAW.com Cultural Ambassador and Fashion Consultant
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • It is inside you
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: August 24, 2010, 04:50:55 PM »
Free State is mostly horrible.

you're beer preferences are entirely horrible.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: August 24, 2010, 04:52:57 PM »
BLVD's Unfiltered Wheat is my fav wheat beer.  The rest of theirs tastes like what most guys make in their garage.  

That is one of their worst beers, too.  Not surprising, CNS Casey.

If their wheat is bad, I need some suggestions on what to try.  Evidently I am missing out.  
It's not bad.  It's just one of their worst.

However, those are nothing compared to the Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale or Saison-Bret.  Actually, anything in their "Smokestack Series" are above average/great beers.

We have diff tastes.  I have had all those.  I don't mind them, but they taste like the kit-made beer my bro makes.  Nothing special.

Naw, I just think you are a dumbass.  Sorry bro.  

Oh, hai:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-bobs-47-oktoberfest/119/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-unfiltered-wheat-beer/114/

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: August 24, 2010, 04:53:01 PM »
I've had Free State several times and thought it was decent.  Course, I had had a few beers before and after it so I don't remember it all that well.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: August 24, 2010, 04:55:50 PM »
BLVD's Unfiltered Wheat is my fav wheat beer.  The rest of theirs tastes like what most guys make in their garage.  

That is one of their worst beers, too.  Not surprising, CNS Casey.

If their wheat is bad, I need some suggestions on what to try.  Evidently I am missing out.  
It's not bad.  It's just one of their worst.

However, those are nothing compared to the Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale or Saison-Bret.  Actually, anything in their "Smokestack Series" are above average/great beers.

Naw, I just think you are a dumbass.  Sorry bro.  

Oh, hai:

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-bobs-47-oktoberfest/119/
http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/boulevard-unfiltered-wheat-beer/114/

JFC, my taste is bad.   :runaway:

Offline AbeFroman

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: August 24, 2010, 04:58:08 PM »
My friend brought me back 4 different kinds of DogFish Head beer from the east coast.

Holy. fracking. crap.
« Last Edit: August 24, 2010, 04:59:54 PM by AbeFroman »

Offline ChiComCat

• Chawbacon
  • Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: August 24, 2010, 04:58:47 PM »
Had the Tank 7 on draft in KC, pretty awesome.  They have the large bottles of it at Houlihan's now, havent tried it from the bottle yet.