Author Topic: Beer Connoisseurs  (Read 423795 times)

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
Re: Beer Connoisseurs
« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2010, 11:18:59 AM »
When you're in a place for a week Saul, there isn't time to trudge through the local "taste like ass" beers to find the ones you like. 

If you find a style of beer you like it's pretty easy to find a quality beer.  It's not like stores only carry local brews, too.  Many of my favorite beers are brewed in New York, but are still carried here because they have a large enough distribution chain.

Do you remember any of the one's you tried that "taste like ass?"

Also, disagree w/ you. 1 week is plenty of time.

Sorry Saul it isn't . . . unless you're a complete geek who wants to spend all the time while on "vacation" geeking out without other beer geeks about beer.
Stop at one liquor store in KCMO, stock up. Easy as that. You can customize six packs and pick up a few bombers.
Saul I can understand why you'd be into that . . . you live in Topeka, you need a hobby to numb the pain.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2010, 11:20:28 AM »
When you're in a place for a week Saul, there isn't time to trudge through the local "taste like ass" beers to find the ones you like. 

If you find a style of beer you like it's pretty easy to find a quality beer.  It's not like stores only carry local brews, too.  Many of my favorite beers are brewed in New York, but are still carried here because they have a large enough distribution chain.

Do you remember any of the one's you tried that "taste like ass?"

Also, disagree w/ you. 1 week is plenty of time.

Sorry Saul it isn't . . . unless you're a complete geek who wants to spend all the time while on "vacation" geeking out without other beer geeks about beer.
Stop at one liquor store in KCMO, stock up. Easy as that. You can customize six packs and pick up a few bombers.
Saul I can understand why you'd be into that . . . you live in Topeka, you need a hobby to numb the pain.

I'm not the one drinking hard liquor, that stuff is pretty potent. :eek:
Where did you get that overnight bag?

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2010, 11:22:09 AM »
There are men, and then there are boys Saul . . . I think you see the dividing line now.   :surprised:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2010, 11:26:01 AM »
There are men, and then there are boys Saul . . . I think you see the dividing line now.   :surprised:
So you need to get more drunk than me in a shorter period of time to avoid life.  I get it.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2010, 11:27:41 AM »
So you need to get more drunk than me in a shorter period of time to avoid life.  I get it.

Who said anything about getting drunk?? 

Offline CHONGS

• Master of the Atom
  • Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
    • goEMAW.com
« Reply #80 on: August 24, 2010, 11:29:42 AM »
New Belgium Ranger IPA

Just picked some up last week, and it is delicious.
better than mighty arrow, worse?  is it too hoppy?  i'm sick of beers guys throwing 500 pounds of hops in a beer and saying it tastes good. no, it doesn't taste good, it tastes like hops.

look who came down from his tower!  :pbj:
it's friday bro!

i like to have a couple of Del Tremens too.  i convinced pete and trim to try it at our BlankBurgerPAK and pete did not like, trim did not like.  i got to drink Pete's beer for him.  lewser.

Del Tremens is fabulous.  Pricey thou.  I think there are better belgian ales out there.

Also, try the Delirium de Noël when you have a chance.
Have you tried the Del Nocturnum? I like it even better than the Tremens.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: August 24, 2010, 11:59:25 AM »
New Belgium Ranger IPA

Just picked some up last week, and it is delicious.
better than mighty arrow, worse?  is it too hoppy?  i'm sick of beers guys throwing 500 pounds of hops in a beer and saying it tastes good. no, it doesn't taste good, it tastes like hops.

look who came down from his tower!  :pbj:
it's friday bro!

i like to have a couple of Del Tremens too.  i convinced pete and trim to try it at our BlankBurgerPAK and pete did not like, trim did not like.  i got to drink Pete's beer for him.  lewser.

Del Tremens is fabulous.  Pricey thou.  I think there are better belgian ales out there.

Also, try the Delirium de Noël when you have a chance.
Have you tried the Del Nocturnum? I like it even better than the Tremens.
Haven't tried that one - it's always right next to Trem's thou. They are both kinda pricey...too much invested in the bottle perhaps? ;)

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • (worst non-premium poster at goEMAW.com)
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 24, 2010, 12:57:28 PM »
Nocturnum is pretty good, probably a bit easier to drink than Tremens.  to me it seems more full bodied and less like alcoholic death juice (sorry for the poor choice for a descriptor, I just got back from vegas) than DT.

and JFC dax, it takes 2 minutes in any bar or liquor store in KC to realize it's a Boulevard Beer town and they are making so many different seasonals and special brews right now it's impossible not to find one to your liking... 

finally, while i enjoy Yuengling because it is cheap, i only enjoy it because it is cheap.

Cheesy Mustache QB might make an appearance.

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 24, 2010, 01:32:29 PM »
Nocturnum is pretty good, probably a bit easier to drink than Tremens.  to me it seems more full bodied and less like alcoholic death juice (sorry for the poor choice for a descriptor, I just got back from vegas) than DT.

and JFC dax, it takes 2 minutes in any bar or liquor store in KC to realize it's a Boulevard Beer town and they are making so many different seasonals and special brews right now it's impossible not to find one to your liking... 

finally, while i enjoy Yuengling because it is cheap, i only enjoy it because it is cheap.

Who said I didn't find a Blvd I didn't like??   Where did I say that Yeungling wasn't cheap?  It is the "go to" beer, as in when I feel like drinking a significant amount but not spending all that much money.  To that end it is a superior domestic beer.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: August 24, 2010, 01:33:45 PM »
Superior domestic beer. :lol:

Offline jtksu

• definitely not a racist piece of shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: August 24, 2010, 01:37:24 PM »
Everyone needs to have a go to session beer.  Yuengling fits that mold.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: August 24, 2010, 01:39:54 PM »
Everyone needs to have a go to session beer.  Yuengling fits that mold.
Meh. Don't need to.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 24, 2010, 01:42:56 PM »
Saul . . . for a guy who just posted this:

Kirk Schulz We just finished a terrific visit with Kellogg in Battle Creek, MI - had over 30 K-State alumni and friends @ lunch and talked K-State 2025!
about an hour ago via Twitter ·

Saul Schwartz I'm hoping cereal was included.   :facepalm:

You have absolutely not a single leg to stand on in terms of playing the role of Beer Snob in Residence.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 24, 2010, 01:44:30 PM »
My palette is also trained to detect superior cereal, you eff-ass.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: August 24, 2010, 01:49:09 PM »
Who said I didn't find a Blvd I didn't like??   

:confused:

New warning: Don't get in a fight with someone who doesn't even need to bother to buy ink.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: August 24, 2010, 01:51:16 PM »
Guessing he has spent more than a week in and around KC.  Least that's how I read it.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: August 24, 2010, 01:53:25 PM »
Say you've never been to the Denver area-  You would have a hell of a time trying to taste all the different delicious beers from that area.  Yeah, you' most likely find numerous beers you really like, but there will always be other beers available that you may enjoy even more.  :dunno:

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 24, 2010, 01:53:32 PM »

To be fair, Blvd Nutcracker does indeed taste like ass.  The rest are fairly solid, some just OK, some outstanding.

Offline Saulbadguy

• Administrator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • what
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 24, 2010, 01:54:04 PM »
Say you've never been to the Denver area-  You would have a hell of a time trying to taste all the different delicious beers from that area.  Yeah, you' most likely find numerous beers you really like, but there will always be other beers available that you may enjoy even more.  :dunno:
That can be said for nearly anything really. 

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: August 24, 2010, 01:57:02 PM »
True.  That's just how I read Dax's post about trudging through local beers in a one week timeframe.  Obviously, it holds true for food, hotels, bars, museums, etc. in any town you're unfamiliar with.

Offline sonofdaxjones

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 24, 2010, 01:59:43 PM »

One of the Blvd brews I was familiar with from a previous visit, the other was new and I got to sample it first while at lunch.  

Oh I am very familiar with KC.   

Wow, talk about not getting it, this thread is taking that turn.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: August 24, 2010, 02:00:52 PM »

that's really a terrible comparo because denver has arguably the largest base of local brews in the entire nation vs. a kc market that has one, and that's boulevard.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: August 24, 2010, 02:14:34 PM »
Nah, KC has lot more to offer than just Boulevard.  (Not as many as Denver, but more than just one.)  75th and 23rd street breweries, Freestate, Prison Brews, McCoys, etc.  There are at least 18 breweries/brew pubs in the KC metro area.  People tend to think that other towns offer sooo much more than what is available locally because of the added allure of foreign locations.

Offline pissclams

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: August 24, 2010, 02:19:12 PM »
my point was that when you walk into any bar or liquor store in the kc metro, they will offer boulevard, not the rest.  

it isn't hard to trudge through the local "taste like ass" beers to find the ones you like in KC.

also- almost all of the beers locally made in the kc area suck, except Blvd.

Offline jtksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 24, 2010, 02:23:38 PM »
The fact that you can't just walk into any local liquor store and find these beers in fact makes it more difficult to navigate the beer scene in KC.  To get the really good local stuff, you have to locate them and drive around town to actually drink them on site.  Any large liquor store will offer a huge selection of beers, but finding the local, often hidden gems is where it's really at.