Author Topic: American Exceptionalism  (Read 28356 times)

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
American Exceptionalism
« on: June 23, 2015, 07:58:32 AM »
I was fascinated when KSUw brought it up, and would love to hear what your thoughts on the idea are.

What does it mean to you?  Was it ever relevant or true?  On what grounds does American Exceptionalism stand? Is it still true today? If not, when did it die?

Discuss! Try not to make it about libs and pubs though.

(Want to get rid of the ad? Register now for free!)
:adios:

Offline steve dave

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Romantic Fist Attachment
    • View Profile
Re: American Exceptionalism
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2015, 08:01:52 AM »
it was exceptionally lucky for early Europeans to stumble upon such an enormous resource rich land with so few people already on it. that was pretty exceptional. you can't do that anymore unless you blast your ass off to space.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • change your stupid avatar.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2015, 08:20:30 AM »
It's turned into a witch hunt litmus test for a group of children who think that if you dare question our country's morals or motivations throughout history, you are a witch. It makes it extremely difficult to learn from your past when you're incapable of acknowledging your mistakes.

Personally, I obviously think it's an absurd concept (as it is widely used today).

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 23, 2015, 08:36:20 AM »
To me it seems like a frighteningly dangerous idea that has been co-opted as justification for global hegemony. Also incredibly arrogant.

Offline ben ji

• Senior Moderator
  • PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Alot of people dont hit on an 18
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2015, 08:40:06 AM »
it was exceptionally lucky for early Europeans to stumble upon such an enormous resource rich land with so few people already on it. that was pretty exceptional. you can't do that anymore unless you blast your ass off to space.

Not until small pox.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2015, 08:55:08 AM »

Which is why things are so prosperous in South and Central America, too, right? "Because trade and natural resources!!!" - anybody remember this from a few threads ago? Still hilarious.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2015, 08:57:04 AM »
It's turned into a witch hunt litmus test for a group of children who think that if you dare question our country's morals or motivations throughout history, you are a witch. It makes it extremely difficult to learn from your past when you're incapable of acknowledging your mistakes.

Personally, I obviously think it's an absurd concept (as it is widely used today).

American Exceptionalism has absolutely nothing to do with refusing to acknowledge past mistakes. It's American Exceptionalism - not American Perfectionalism.

Ok - that's two idiotic arguments down. What's next?
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2015, 09:00:14 AM »
Those two words are both defined in Websters.

It's weird how butthurt the libtards get about people wanting to bring the world up to American standards (i.e., the highest quality of life on the planet). Then you realize they are trying to drive everyone in America's quality of life down to that of a former Soviet block, and it makes sense.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2015, 09:04:47 AM »

Which is why things are so prosperous in South and Central America, too, right? "Because trade and natural resources!!!" - anybody remember this from a few threads ago? Still hilarious.

North America was colonized. South/Central America was conquered with the goal of shipping resources to Spain.

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2015, 09:07:45 AM »
RAM is a treasure trove of dumbassery
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2015, 09:08:00 AM »

North America was colonized. South/Central America was conquered with the goal of shipping resources to Spain.

South America and Central America weren't colonized? :lol:

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2015, 09:10:58 AM »

South America and Central America weren't colonized? :lol:

They were colonized with the goal of sending resources back to Spain. England's colonists came looking for a place to live. They weren't very interested in sending resources back to England. They revolted over small taxes on stamps and tea.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2015, 09:11:24 AM »

American Exceptionalism has absolutely nothing to do with refusing to acknowledge past mistakes. It's American Exceptionalism - not American Perfectionalism.

in the context it is widely used today, it has become "American Perfectionism". If that isn't what it means to you, why don't you explain what it is to you?

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2015, 09:16:00 AM »

in the context it is widely used today, it has become "American Perfectionism". If that isn't what it means to you, why don't you explain what it is to you?

I already explained that in one of the threads yesterday - it's tough to keep to track of which one, what with SD making some revisions recently.

Offline Jabeez

• Combo-Fan
  • #Currie4USPrez
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2015, 09:27:27 AM »
http://www.religionnews.com/2015/06/23/poll-like-red-white-blue-patriotism-mostly/

Pretty interesting polls done on americans.  They even mention american exceptionalism. 

Sent from my SM-N910P using Tapatalk

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2015, 09:32:25 AM »

I already explained that in one of the threads yesterday - it's tough to keep to track of which one, what with SD making some revisions recently.

Was it this?

From a foreign policy standpoint, the GOP actually believes in American Exceptionalism, and that's what I believe. We are the greatest nation and the greatest force for good this world has ever seen, and most pubs actually believe this. Most Dems don't, sadly.

I mean, we have done incredibly shitty and foolish things with our foreign policy throughout our history, especially since WWII. What have we done in the last 50 years that could possibly make a rational person consider us "the greatest force for good" in the world?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2015, 09:33:24 AM »
I think it was Huckabee who said a few yrs ago that he believes American Exceptionalism means that any of us, as an individual, are basically automatically superior to others simply because we are American. 

I think the functional definition has morphed over the years since it's inception.   I mean, the above is just ridiculous.

Offline renocat

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2015, 10:38:27 AM »
Obama wants us to be like civilized Europe.  No God, just the state.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2015, 10:48:57 AM »

Was it this?

From a foreign policy standpoint, the GOP actually believes in American Exceptionalism, and that's what I believe. We are the greatest nation and the greatest force for good this world has ever seen, and most pubs actually believe this. Most Dems don't, sadly.

I mean, we have done incredibly shitty and foolish things with our foreign policy throughout our history, especially since WWII. What have we done in the last 50 years that could possibly make a rational person consider us "the greatest force for good" in the world?

For starters, we significantly outpace all other countries in terms of combined private charitable giving and public humanitarian aid. Then there are the myraid medical and other technological improvements spawned by our relatively free market economy. So yes, I think it's quite "rational"  to say that. What nation or civilization in the history of the world has been a greater force for good?

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2015, 10:49:03 AM »
Obama wants us to be like civilized Europe. No God, just the state.

Sounds great.

Offline michigancat

• Contributor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2015, 10:50:47 AM »
For starters, we significantly outpace all other countries in terms of combined private charitable giving and public humanitarian aid.

link? on a per capita basis, we most definitely do not outpace other countries' public humanitarian aid.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_governments_by_development_aid

Offline star seed 7

• hyperactive on the :lol:
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • good dog
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 23, 2015, 10:53:02 AM »
Obama wants us to be like civilized Europe. No God, just the state.

Sounds great.

Would take  :thumbs:
Hyperbolic partisan duplicitous hypocrite

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: June 23, 2015, 11:18:02 AM »
For starters, we significantly outpace all other countries in terms of combined private charitable giving and public humanitarian aid.

link? on a per capita basis, we most definitely do not outpace other countries' public humanitarian aid.

Did I ever say per capita? Why does that matter? A starving child or Ebola/AIDS patient in Africa isn't thinking "gosh, this food/treatment is great and all, but it's not very nourishing/healing on a per capita basis." You know what, you're right. Lichtenstein is really the greatest force for good the world has ever known on a per capita basis - and that's what matters! :lol:

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: June 23, 2015, 11:20:16 AM »

For starters, we significantly outpace all other countries in terms of combined private charitable giving and public humanitarian aid. Then there are the myraid medical and other technological improvements spawned by our relatively free market economy. So yes, I think it's quite "rational"  to say that. What nation or civilization in the history of the world has been a greater force for good?

Probably some country that minds their own god damn business that's who.

Offline Asteriskhead

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • giving new meaning to the term "anger juice"
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: June 23, 2015, 11:20:29 AM »

Did I ever say per capita? Why does that matter? A starving child or Ebola/AIDS patient in Africa isn't thinking "gosh, this food/treatment is great and all, but it's not very nourishing/healing on a per capita basis." Are you really arguing "garsh, Lichtenstein is really the greatest force for good the world has ever known on a per capita basis"? :lol:

oh my, you really are dense.