Author Topic: furlough's  (Read 17125 times)

Offline p1k3

• Katpak'r
    • View Profile
Re: furlough's
« Reply #50 on: June 08, 2015, 02:14:35 PM »
I've never been furloughed, but isn't it kind of like getting a vacation, except that after the vacation is over you get paid for all your time off? Or is a state furlough different than a federal furlough.

Also, if you're deemed a "nonessential employee" - isn't that about the time you start looking for a new job?

I was furloughed and was hoping to get this week off. Start a new job next week.  :curse: :curse: :curse:

I doubt you would have been paid for your time off if you were furloughed. This isn't the US government.

should have emphasized wanting the week off

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: June 08, 2015, 02:20:14 PM »
Wasn't the tax cut supposed to increase revenue?

Yes. It didn't. Turns out, a lot of states aren't doing too great economically these days. And even cutting rates to zero for small business owners isn't driving new businesses and people to the dusty plains of Kansas. You know what else probably won't help bring people in? Raising taxes. Which is why we should probably just cut spending and enjoy our famously low cost of living.

This logic is exactly why we have an issue in Kansas.  There is nothing of value in this post to respond to on any level.  The fact is there are numerous states which have done the exact opposite of Kansas and are doing far better.  For every Kansas or Wisconsin there is a Minnesota. Its great that people like KSUW want to destroy the principles this country was founded on, but I'd rather they just move to the apex of their experiment and not turn the US into Somalia.

I think my favorite part of this post was "KSUW want to destroy the principles this country was founded on." Cause you know, when I think about the principles this country was founded on, I totally think high taxes and big government.

Also, Minnesota. :lol: Love that part. Minnesota has some of the highest taxes in the country (5th by Forbes' most recent estimate). And Minnesota's schools don't rank appreciably better than Kansas (worse, according to most estimates) despite spending approximately $2k more per student. Yes, a real liberal paradise, that Minnesoaaaaata.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

Offline Rage Against the McKee

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: June 08, 2015, 02:22:50 PM »
I've never been furloughed, but isn't it kind of like getting a vacation, except that after the vacation is over you get paid for all your time off? Or is a state furlough different than a federal furlough.

Also, if you're deemed a "nonessential employee" - isn't that about the time you start looking for a new job?

I was furloughed and was hoping to get this week off. Start a new job next week.  :curse: :curse: :curse:

I doubt you would have been paid for your time off if you were furloughed. This isn't the US government.

should have emphasized wanting the week off

Well, if you don't need the pay, then why didn't you just quit a week earlier?

Offline Fake Sugar Dick (WARNING, NOT THE REAL SUGAR DICK!)

• Racist Piece of Shit
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • Kiss my ass and suck my dick
    • View Profile
    • I am the one and only Sugar Dick
« Reply #53 on: June 08, 2015, 02:29:39 PM »
The problem with state employees is that we have too many of them and only a handful of them want to work.

We need to Jack Welch the bottom 10% every year and back fill with kids in their 20's who dont need 12 weeks of vacation, full family benefits and a salary big enough to home school 3 children.
goEMAW Karmic BBS Shepherd

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: June 08, 2015, 02:37:38 PM »
Wasn't the tax cut supposed to increase revenue?

Yes. It didn't. Turns out, a lot of states aren't doing too great economically these days. And even cutting rates to zero for small business owners isn't driving new businesses and people to the dusty plains of Kansas. You know what else probably won't help bring people in? Raising taxes. Which is why we should probably just cut spending and enjoy our famously low cost of living.

This logic is exactly why we have an issue in Kansas.  There is nothing of value in this post to respond to on any level.  The fact is there are numerous states which have done the exact opposite of Kansas and are doing far better.  For every Kansas or Wisconsin there is a Minnesota. Its great that people like KSUW want to destroy the principles this country was founded on, but I'd rather they just move to the apex of their experiment and not turn the US into Somalia.

I think my favorite part of this post was "KSUW want to destroy the principles this country was founded on." Cause you know, when I think about the principles this country was founded on, I totally think high taxes and big government.

Really, using the purse to attack the judicial branch? Its like you've never read an American history textbook. And lets not get started on ever example of your tax policies striking against the Federalist and anti-Federalist principles.  About the only group you could claim are pleiadian anti-Federalists and everyone was loling at them in 1776. 

And this isn't just about education ranking dumbass.
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ednksu

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: June 08, 2015, 02:39:11 PM »
And even by ALEC's, known to support your bullshit, Minnesota is kicking the crap out of Kansas.
http://www.alec.org/publications/report-card-on-american-education/
Quote from: OregonHawk
KU is right on par with Notre Dame ... when it comes to adding additional conference revenue

Quote from: Kim Carnes
Beer pro tip: never drink anything other than BL, coors, pbr, maybe a few others that I'm forgetting

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: June 08, 2015, 02:49:12 PM »
I'm more curious how we have more state employees per capita than like 40 some other states. We are only below Wyoming, Alaska, New York, Mississippi, Nebraska, Louisiana and Alabama.

Are we vastly overstaffed? Or is there something i'm missing...

Offline Dr Rick Daris

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: June 08, 2015, 02:51:21 PM »

i know a lot of federal govt employees who had forced furloughs a few years ago and weren't paid for the days they were forced to take off work. feel however you want to about it but getting furloughed usually means loss of pay.

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: June 08, 2015, 02:53:26 PM »
I'm more curious how we have more state employees per capita than like 40 some other states. We are only below Wyoming, Alaska, New York, Mississippi, Nebraska, Louisiana and Alabama.

Yes. Because we have so many friggin' counties and school districts. Each county has at least one school district and sometimes more, even in Western Kansas. That's where we're pissing away our money. Needless administration.
I've said it before and I'll say it again, K-State fans could have beheaded the entire KU team at midcourt, and K-State fans would be celebrating it this morning.  They are the ISIS of Big 12 fanbases.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: June 08, 2015, 02:55:28 PM »

The only outlier on that list is New York. Kansas is a rural state that covers a fairly large area. I'm sure the number of schools per capita is the difference here.

Offline 8manpick

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • A top quartile binger, poster, and friend
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: June 08, 2015, 02:55:47 PM »

All of those are low population states except for NY, who has hugely bloated city agencies that cover much of the services handled by most states.
:adios:

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: June 08, 2015, 02:56:12 PM »

Yes. Because we have so many friggin' counties and school districts. Each county has at least one school district and sometimes more, even in Western Kansas. That's where we're pissing away our money. Needless administration.

I can't say that I disagree with you on the needless administration thing. I think that an education overhaul is much needed in KS and some staff inefficiencies can be eliminated. I remember when I was in school, there was one teacher and one aid in the classroom. Heck, I toured a couple schools a week or two ago and there were like 5 adults in one classroom...doesn't seem like a very efficient use of $$$ if you ask me.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 08, 2015, 02:56:42 PM »

How does the number of counties have any bearing on the number of state employees?

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 08, 2015, 03:00:17 PM »

How does the number of counties have any bearing on the number of state employees?

Duplicate staff for duplicate districts in the same county...etc is what KSU is trying to say I believe. I tend to agree...

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 08, 2015, 03:02:49 PM »

Duplicate staff for duplicate districts in the same county...etc is what KSU is trying to say I believe. I tend to agree...

Well I'm not aware of any state agency that sets its field office boundaries within a single county. Some might be limited to Johnson County, I guess, but that just makes sense.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 08, 2015, 03:11:21 PM »
We should consolidate the govt so that Western ks is one district/county/whateves.  Make the district seat in salina, and just yell at them yearly as to why they aren't doing better. 

We should send them no money and let them Wild West themselves by the bootstraps. 

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: June 08, 2015, 03:14:53 PM »
We should consolidate the govt so that Western ks is one district/county/whateves.  Make the district seat in salina, and just yell at them yearly as to why they aren't doing better. 

We should send them no money and let them Wild West themselves by the bootstraps. 

So basically just keep doing what we are doing, then?

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 08, 2015, 03:15:42 PM »
no.  Well, maybe, but send less money.

Offline Dugout DickStone

• Global Moderator
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • BSPAC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 08, 2015, 03:27:33 PM »
The problem with state employees is that we have too many of them and only a handful of them want to work.

We need to Jack Welch the bottom 10% every year and back fill with kids in their 20's who dont need 12 weeks of vacation, full family benefits and a salary big enough to home school 3 children.

I am totally good with this

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: June 08, 2015, 03:31:41 PM »

Well I'm not aware of any state agency that sets its field office boundaries within a single county. Some might be limited to Johnson County, I guess, but that just makes sense.

I don't think we're talking apples and oranges here. I'm saying, no reason why two western KS counties can't be in the same school district. Efficiencies can be gained that way without really losing much in terms of functionality.

Offline ShellShock

• Combo-Fan
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 08, 2015, 03:33:07 PM »

I am totally good with this

I read an article the other day that said something to the effect of 80% of the Fortune 500 Companies do a version of this very thing every year. No need to haul around dead weight. I fully support this as well.

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 08, 2015, 03:52:38 PM »

I don't think we're talking apples and oranges here. I'm saying, no reason why two western KS counties can't be in the same school district. Efficiencies can be gained that way without really losing much in terms of functionality.

School districts aren't set on county lines, though.

Offline DQ12

• PCKK7DC Survivor
  • Pak'r Élitaire
  • #TeamChestHair
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 08, 2015, 04:03:25 PM »
furlough's what?

"You want to stand next to someone and not be able to hear them, walk your ass into Manhattan, Kansas." - [REDACTED]

Offline K-S-U-Wildcats!

• Pak'r Élitaire
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 08, 2015, 04:06:36 PM »
We've moved from discussing furloughs to discussing how we can best organize western kansas. I like making all the territory west of Saline into one county. Maybe even just call it "the West" or something cool. But if not, we should just consolidate every 2x2 quadrant of counties into one.

Offline CNS

• Pak'r Élitaire
  • I'm Athletes
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 08, 2015, 04:26:13 PM »
We've moved from discussing furloughs to discussing how we can best organize western kansas. I like making all the territory west of Saline into one county. Maybe even just call it "the West" or something cool. But if not, we should just consolidate every 2x2 quadrant of counties into one.

We should consolidate Wyandotte and Johnson counties.